What are you reading?

misterpat

The dark tower series is excellent, although it is a little bit tedious towards the middle books of the series.

Thanks for the heads up. Just finished the first book and am looking forward to the rest of them... except for the middle ones now lol.

Zero -A biography of a dangerous idea by Charles Seife

Tracks the history of the number zero and related concepts. It is very interesting and well written. I still have ~50 pages left but I highly recommend it to anyone (I'm not a crazy math freak or anything (psychology)).

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky. Obviously I recommend it.

Oh, and lots of textbooks and academic articles.

Landor's Tower; or, the Imaginary Conversations - Iain Sinclair. It's impossibly good. I didn't read Sinclair for such a long time because I feared disappointment (he is a vocal disciple of my very favourite writer J.G. Ballard, and something of a demiurge himself in London's left-field literary scene)but, oh-my-goodness, I really should not have feared anything. This book is absolutely brilliant, it makes me chuckle maniacally to myself on the train with its cleverness.

turned off by the never-ending fantasy sagas years ago, but thinking about picking up Game of Thrones in light of the new HBO series due out. thoughts?

I really liked that book! It's pretty engrossing though I've been reading the second book on and off because it's giving me never-ending fantasy novel fatigue.

• 3 weeks later...

turned off by the never-ending fantasy sagas years ago, but thinking about picking up Game of Thrones in light of the new HBO series due out. thoughts?

I love this series. Ever since GRRM announced the hard publication date for Dance with Dragons my status on BBM has been "Prepare to Dance". I changed it yesterday to "Winter is Coming", and everyone thinks I have my facts backward.

I read the first two books over a weekend I was supposed to be completing a 20 page paper. HandsomeNerd, good luck with your readings -- these books are crack for the mind.

Olasılıksız by Adam Fawer --- the Turkish version of the English (?) original. Of course, Ive been reading it for weeks now as every time I pick it up I feel pangs of guilt and the voice in my head says, "Shouldn't you be reading the articles assigned for class instead, since you apparently have all this free time to read??"

I, too, cannot wait for A Dance with Dragons. I recently bought the first four books at a secondhand store and I'm planning to read through them over the summer in preparation. Before that, though, I'm planning to read the final (10th!) volume of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, which I think is on a level with Martin's series in complexity, philosophical depth, and sheer audacity (maybe I'm a bit biased as the author is from my backwater hometown in central Canada).

Currently I'm actually reading Atlas Shrugged, which I've heard about for years (thanks to another longwinded fantasy series by one Terry Goodkind). I can't say I find anything to identify with in the characters or the message, but it has been influential in contemporary American political movements (and very current events) which I'd like better to understand.

just finished Denick? - Nothing to Envy... It was a fantastic book and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is curious about everyday life in North Korea...

I'm currently catching up on issues of Scientific American (or rather its local German edition) that I didn't have the time to read last year :rolleyes:

Also have to join the others here recommending A Game of Thrones and its sequels to anyone who hasn't read them ;). Can't wait to read Dance!

Edited by tew

I'm currently reading the Drunkard's wall: how randomness rules our lives.

From this thread I selected the following to read next, thanks :)

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea By Charles Seife

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Beyond Good and Evil by FriedrichNietzsche

The Idiot (Modern LibraryClassics) by FyodorDostoyevsky

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy