What are you reading?

misterpat

Currently reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (I'm sure you all knew that), and Absalom, Absalom!, Faulkner. I just finished Salman Rushdie's Shame for the second time, and would highly recommend it.

ooooo! I just read Brave New World not too long ago, and loved it!! It took me way to long to get around to it though. I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and I'm about to start Anna Karenina while also attempting to knit socks for my first time... really trying to kill time here haha!

Okay, I finally tried the Franzen novel "The Corrections." His pose is beautiful, but if I want to see the trappings of contemporary suburbia I just talk to neighbors. I couldn't do it.

I did read "The Big Short." It was a great read that served to make me pretty angry about the financial crisis, and on top of that even more suspect of anyone getting into i-banking.

Next on the docket is: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time."

My resolution is to read more fiction this year.

Next on the docket is: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time."

I love that book. Enjoy!

As usual, these days it's mainly fiction, linguistics, cognitive-science, memoirs, and more YA books. I just finished 'An Anthropologist on Mars' by Oliver Sacks (fascinating!), and am currently working on the very amusing 'My Year of Meats' by Ruth L. Ozeki.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm reading several books right now: Graduate Study for the 21st Century, Education of Historians for the 21st Century, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Arc of Justice, and American Colonies. The last one is for a class; the other four are for fun.

I'm giving George Eliot a 3rd chance and reading _Middlemarch_. I do not have very high hopes; however as a 19th century Brit lit lover I have to keep giving her another chance. To offset the didacticism, I am also reading _The Yacoubian Building_ by Alaa Al Aswany.

To offset the didacticism, I am also reading _The Yacoubian Building_ by Alaa Al Aswany.

Dear God. How's that going for you? Al Aswany is the Egyptian equivalent of Dan Brown, IMO. :/

Guest Amon-Ra

If you want a book that is lovely and elegant check out Alan Bennett's "Untold Stories," which is a huge anthology and, if your attention span is anywhere near as short as mine, will last you at least until April 15th. For poetry, Richard Wilbur is appropriately sweet and hopeful and, for any committed escapists among us, Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholic" series includes several of my favorite guilty pleasure junk novels.

Edited by meforarth

Guillermo Del Toro's "The Strain" for the cheesy science fiction and non-Twilight vampires

Any other books by Haruki Murakami I have not yet read for the emotional masochist in me

And all the Angel Sanctuary mangas I bought in high school but never read for the super dorky nerd that I still am :P

I am only 30 pages in and I am bored. Eliot is looking better and better. Something I never thought I'd say.

Dear God. How's that going for you? Al Aswany is the Egyptian equivalent of Dan Brown, IMO. :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...