The sub-3.0 GPAs ACCEPTANCE thread

starmaker

mocomoco: I am a domestic student (in the US). The fellowship that I've received for my PhD is only available to domestic students. However, the scholarship that I received for my MS was for both domestic and international students.

I have a 2.8 GPA and graduated from UCLA in 2005.I applied to two schools and am still waiting to hear back from two graduate schools. I have two rejections already, one came in today and stated that they did not accept me because of my low GPA. This is so difficult to take since there is nothing I can do about it now.

I'm already figuring out plan B and need some advice. 1) I'm applying to a school in England that is still taking applications. In my SOP for the US I did not address my GPA since I didn't have extenuating circumstances. I think it was just a factor of being young, having bad study skills, and being a bad test taker. I am sorry to say I worked my butt off for those bad grades. Should I say something in my new SOP about it? 2) If I apply again next year, where can I take graduate level courses to bring up my GPA?

I have a 2.8 GPA and graduated from UCLA in 2005.I applied to two schools and am still waiting to hear back from two graduate schools. I have two rejections already, one came in today and stated that they did not accept me because of my low GPA. This is so difficult to take since there is nothing I can do about it now.

I'm already figuring out plan B and need some advice. 1) I'm applying to a school in England that is still taking applications. In my SOP for the US I did not address my GPA since I didn't have extenuating circumstances. I think it was just a factor of being young, having bad study skills, and being a bad test taker. I am sorry to say I worked my butt off for those bad grades. Should I say something in my new SOP about it? 2) If I apply again next year, where can I take graduate level courses to bring up my GPA?

My GPA was low for the same reasons you mentioned. I asked about including it in my SoP, but was told that, since I didn't really have a good reason, I shouldn't mention it in my SoP, but should focus on my good qualities (research experience, etc).

As for bringing up your GPA, did you apply to PhD programs? If so, you could look into Masters programs--their GPA requirements are usually lower than PhD programs. Many graduate programs also give you the option of taking classes as a non degree-seeking student--it's usually listed in the department's FAQ page, or you could just contact the program director.

Edited by 3point14

I applied to Master's programs and they seem to have a pretty strict 3.0 GPA requirement. I just got another rejection from Michigan Technological Institute purely for the reason of my low GPA - I was a risk they were not willing to take. When I asked what I could do to make my application stronger, this is what they said:

"In order to improve your application, I suggest you can do a few of things. First, contact your professors from UCLA and talk to them about your interests and aspirations to pursue a graduate degree. Ask them if they could write letters of recommendation, which could address your potential and possibly reasons for some of the lower grades. Second, discuss your grades in your statement of purpose. We would be interested to know if there were any extenuating circumstances. Third, you might consider taking some advanced math course(s) as an unmatriculated student. A couple of high grades in differential equations, linear algebra, or even a physics class such as classical mechanics would help you brush up on these subjects as well as show the committee you can succeed in these courses. Lastly, you should try to visit Michigan Tech. A positive interview can make a big impression on faculty."

Visiting the campus from California is expensive and difficult. So is taking time off work and taking classes. I guess grad school would put me into debt anyway, so what's a little more? Helpful advice, but somewhat disheartening.

^That's actually a very well thought out email from MTI. What's VERY ambiguous and discouraging is that some users here say if I had a bad undergraduate degree (due to extenuating circumstances like depression and extreme domestic issues) that I should give a brief explanation about it. While other users say, you shouldn't say anything about it at all, and just focus on the positive (which is very little, mind you).

And why did they ask you to be an unmatriculated student? I'll reply ever more often here.

I got well below a 3.0 in undergrad and was accepted to a relatively okay masters program while working. Finished graduate school round one with a 3.4 in Aero Eng.

Applied for grad school round two this time with a focus on Mech Eng and going for the gold of PhD. I don't have any research papers at all, but I do have about 7 years of engineering experience working on spacecraft and now rocket engines. My biggest concern now is do I really walk away from a good paying job but in an area I absolutely loathe living in to go back to school. So far all signs point to yes.

Ah, undergrad GPA (worse than a tattoo...it just cannot be removed).

I graduated from a selective liberal arts college with a whopping 2.81 and double majors in Neuroscience and Religion. Yuck. I wanted to go to graduate school. After college, I was a research technician at Columbia University in a great lab with a great PI who hired me based on recommendations, my CV and an impromptu IQ test during my interview. During my time as a tech, I was an author on two papers and earned two great letters of recommendation. My GREs were within normal limits for the most competitive schools.

I was rejected at many large state schools (Madison, Michigan, Washington). I was accepted at Columbia and U of Chicago. I ultimately graduated with a PhD in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology from Stony Brook University (GPA 3.81).

Currently, I am in the midst of a career change and as such, am applying to graduate school again. This cycle I applied to two masters programs: MPH and MS in Health Care Policy. I was required to submit all my transcripts. But what is done last matters most and undergrad is quite some time ago for me. I was accepted to both programs.

For applicants with sub threshhold 3.0 GPAs, you need to construct a stellar application to soften the undergrad GPA. If you have just graduated undergrad, this is a tough feat to follow. Some time placed between graduation day and application submission may be needed to focus the admissions committee's eyes elesewhere. For example, being a research technician in a PI's lab who was absolutely influential and powerful and well known in the science community helped me score acceptances.

What would I have changed if I could do it again? Studied harder in undergrad!

Spore, PhD

Enjoying this thread a lot. I just got into my first choice grad program after a miserable first undergrad, where I did another one in 2 years. I think the improved performance the second time around, a year off to gain relevant work experience and a good interview helped (they asked me about my poor marks too).

Question: How many of you who got into grad programs after a poor showing at undergrad managed to secure any kind of external funding? My program is funded for the first year, but my PI is intent on me securing more for this and next year. Thing is, the conversation over my two undergrads and poor showing in the first never came up, and I wonder if it'll be a big issue when trying to secure funding. I hope his recommendation and the relevance of my thesis topic may help in terms of grants. Thoughts?

There seems to be a pattern of big state schools being more strict about minimum GPA requirements in this thread. Maybe it's just an anecdotal quirk, I'm not sure.

MaxiJaz: The farther you get out of undergrad and the more you have to show, the less your GPA matters. GPA is a proxy for merit because most undergrads don't have enough meaningful accomplishments in their fields to assess merit (and the programs also want some assurance that you'll be able to pass the coursework/quals hurdles).

I was rocking a 3.0 my last year of undergrad, luckily back in my second year I approached one of my profs and asked if they needed any extra lab work done because I was interested in it and wanted to get involved. So I started working for her part time, then full time the summer of my third year. Then in fall of my last year of ugrad she asked me what my plans were for after I graduated, I told her how I would like to do grad school but figured my dismal average would weigh me down. She said that shed be glad to have me work for her because she knew my academic average wasnt a "real" indication of how I could work! Starting with her now this week and super pumped.

So it just goes to show not all supervisors base everything on marks.

Ended up getting my gpa up just above a 3.0 but had my acceptance before I graduated. having below a 3.0 doesnt mean you cant get into grad school! Dont be discouragedddd!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see this thread.

I'm a 2.7 undergrad in chemistry and 3.6 grad ms in biochem with a 315/4.5 GRE score. What helped me was working and putting substance between me and undergrad. I also made sure I applied to realistic options for my situation. I was prepared for rejection but I got into a fully funded phd program in pharmacology.

@ everyone in this thread - Thanks for giving me hope! I did my bachelors from a mid tier India univ with a 7.4/10 GPA (around 3.1), but my masters(coursework) is from a top ranked asian univ with a near perfect GPA. I was looking for a research based masters hoping to get some publications, and I always though I`d never get in considering my undergrad GPA. but seeing this thread makes me feel so much better!!

I decided to come back and post in this thread... I got accepted into my FIRST CHOICE school! I had a 3.01 GPA. It was a 3.3 but I did really bad my last year of college. I got 2 Fs and 1 D... which is EXTREMELY unlike me. And my GRE scores were below average... except my AW score was super good, that's it though.

So even if you screw up 1 year of undergrad and suck at standardized testing like me... there really is hope! I worked EXTREMELY hard on my statement of purpose and I talked to the program director via email about my interests and excitement during the application process. I am so surprised about the outcome and I am happy I can give other people hope via this thread!

Edited by isawstars

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share my experience as well, so here it goes. UG GPA 3.05, and decent GRE scores 158/164/4.0 (V/Q/W). I applied to only two schools MIT and Texas A&M for Mechanical Engineering. I definitely didn't get in to MIT, which was expected, but I also had a very difficult time getting into A&M, which I found surprising because I did my undergrad there in Mech. E. Long story short, I got into A&M, but it was only because I had made great contacts with professors during my UG and did research with a few. The combined letters of rec from the current faculty as well as the help of my POI helped to get my application noticed and helped the board overlook my dismal GPA.

If you have a lower UG GPA the only advice I can give is, rock the GRE, and establish contact early on with a professor at the program you are applying to. The more that the professor likes you, the more likely you are to be considered by the admissions board. Cheers and thanks for all the great posts.

How do you establish connection with a professor you never met??!! Sending emails and letters will suffice? I've been trying that for loads of professors and NONE of them reply or even acknowledge my questions. And how would you captivate a professor's interest in the first place without being cliche?

This is very vague advice coming from across the board.

How do you establish connection with a professor you never met??!! Sending emails and letters will suffice? I've been trying that for loads of professors and NONE of them reply or even acknowledge my questions. And how would you captivate a professor's interest in the first place without being cliche?

This is very vague advice coming from across the board.

Will you give an example of what you've said to professors?

I was always super specific. Such as, "hello Dr. Abc, My name is Isawstars and I am interested in your Journalism program. My career goals are to XYZ and ZYX. Do you think your curriculum is a good fit? I am interested in courses such as XYZ, how have former students utilized this after graduating?" Something like that... I can't really remember, because I had specific questions about the program since all Mass Communication programs are not the same..

Without knowing what you said in your emails, all I can say is to sound sincere. Share why you are interested in their program and how you want to use that degree. Ask if they think you'd be a good fit. I actually had one program director say that with my career goals, their program is not the best fit for me... which helped A LOT when determining which schools to apply for. So if I never asked, and still applied... I would have instantly been rejected after they read my Statement of Purpose because it wasn't a good fit. But I wouldn't have known that.

There was one professor who never responded to me... but I think it's because I pretended to be interested in her work (I honestly wasn't, suprise-surprise)... So I bet I came off as a "suck up." Which you want to avoid.

Edited by isawstars

I agree with all the other comments, you can overcome a bad undergrad GPA, but it takes a lot of extra work to make up for it, connecting with the right people, and a dose of luck. I also think it is ABSOLUTELY important to address your GPA in your SOP even if you don't have extenuating circumstances. I just said that in undergrad I was young and lacked focus and had no intentions of wanting to do grad school so I just cared about passing classes. But then I showed how once I figured out my goals I worked 10 times harder than everyone else to achieve great things and set myself on the correct path toward grad school. Doing this at least shows you acknowledge your mistakes and understand why you didn't do wel, but that now you have your passion and you are willing to work hard to get there.

I had a 2.57 undergrad GPA from a top Cali school in psychobiology. I decided I wanted to be a biomedical engineer so I did research for 3 years, got 2 first author pubs, 10+ second author pubs, some great letter of recs, top 90-95% GRE scores, and then did a MS in engineering with a grad GPA of 3.8. I applied to all top 20 PhD programs in BME this year and got into BU, Columbia, and University of Michigan...all top 15 schools in my field. I will be attending UMich in the fall fully funded + stipend, and it is #7 in the country.

It was not easy, it took a while (I am 29 now), and I worked hard non-stop since undergrad. But I made it to a top 10 school in engineering so in the end it was all worth it.

Will you give an example of what you've said to professors?

I was always super specific. Such as, "hello Dr. Abc, My name is Isawstars and I am interested in your Journalism program. My career goals are to XYZ and ZYX. Do you think your curriculum is a good fit? I am interested in courses such as XYZ, how have former students utilized this after graduating?" Something like that... I can't really remember, because I had specific questions about the program since all Mass Communication programs are not the same..

Without knowing what you said in your emails, all I can say is to sound sincere. Share why you are interested in their program and how you want to use that degree. Ask if they think you'd be a good fit. I actually had one program director say that with my career goals, their program is not the best fit for me... which helped A LOT when determining which schools to apply for. So if I never asked, and still applied... I would have instantly been rejected after they read my Statement of Purpose because it wasn't a good fit. But I wouldn't have known that.

There was one professor who never responded to me... but I think it's because I pretended to be interested in her work (I honestly wasn't, suprise-surprise)... So I bet I came off as a "suck up." Which you want to avoid.

That's EXACTLY what I wrote to professors. I even called most of them and left messages on their voicemail, stating that I would like to hear from them via phone/email. What should I do now? I don't want to flood their inbox with my emails and then I become totally ignored or spammed.

That's EXACTLY what I wrote to professors. I even called most of them and left messages on their voicemail, stating that I would like to hear from them via phone/email. What should I do now? I don't want to flood their inbox with my emails and then I become totally ignored or spammed.

Honestly the way I did it was to visit the University and set up a meeting with the professor through his secretary. I know it's expensive and a lot of people live outside of the country, but that's how I did it with another school where I did not do my undergrad at. I think that taking the time to actually visit the department shows your dedication and can help the professor actually put a face to you and your emails, which makes it harder to ignore you. That's all I got, and I know it's unrealistic for a lot of internationals.

What I especially HATE is when professors or directors finally reply with the most curt emails such as" I suggest you look elsewhere," with NO details or reasons why I should look elsewhere. Or maybe they can lead me to other professors who could know more about a certain area of knowledge.

That happened to me when I contacted the advisor. I took it to heart at first... then found a professor in that department with similar interests as mine and emailed her.

What I especially HATE is when professors or directors finally reply with the most curt emails such as" I suggest you look elsewhere," with NO details or reasons why I should look elsewhere. Or maybe they can lead me to other professors who could know more about a certain area of knowledge.

Graduated with a 2.75 from a small liberal arts school in December - just got an official acceptance letter from George Washington for their Master's program in Math in the fall. Due to a combination of health issues and the need to work nearly full time to support my family, my grades dropped considerably during a single semester, but every semester after showed an increase in GPA. Beyond that, I think that a combination of things both in and out of school helped.

In school:

- I studied a variety of areas while in undergrad, allowing me to get exposed to a variety of areas to see what I liked to make a stronger SOP

- I got involved in the math department: I tutored for two semesters, I was a part of the Math Club, and I volunteered whenever the opportunity presented itself at functions which certainly helped me with respect to recommendations

- I did a research project; though it was primarily in statistics, the experience itself was invaluable plus, from what I can tell, ANY research experience can be seen as favorable when coming out of an undergrad program

Out of school:

- I got a fairly good GRE subject score (155 V | 164 Q | 5.5 W)

- I considered smaller programs; while the idea of applying to MIT or one of the Ivy would be great, the fact is it would've been a waste of my money. It just so happened that I looked at GWU for my undergrad degree, so fate worked out well.

- I basically explained my circumstances in my SOP. I didn't try to hide my past, but I didn't dwell on it. I chose, instead, to emphasize the fact that in spite of my GPA, there were enough other great things about me to consider me a viable candidate.

About a year ago, I would've likely be constantly refreshing this thread because I was concerned about my GPA, so to anyone else that might be in my boat: it's possible to overcome a sub 3.0 GPA! The most important thing necessary is motivation to address your shortcomings and work hard in the areas that you can control.