International Universities - application round two

zoberg

So, as I'm receiving unpleasant responses from American universities (and expected one from Canada), I'm becoming more and more convinced that I ought to complete my post-graduate studies in Europe.

There's a fantastic website created by the British Comparative Literature Association which lists every comp lit program across the globe. Many of these universities have later deadlines, such as late March, early May, and German universities don't cut off until July for the fall semester.

As of right now, I'm seriously considering the University of Kent (both the 1-yr Canterbury and Canterbury-Paris programs), University of Edinburgh, Charles University in Prague, Helsinki University, University of Vienna (Universitaet Wien) and Uppsala University in Sweden (this being my stretch school due to the university's prestige). I've completed the first two applications and am psyched to begin the rest.

Have you applied at any programs off of North America? Are you planning to?

I am thinking about going to LSE.

Umis mluvit cestinu?

If not then I don't think Charles University in Prague is a good choice...I've got a year of intense czech and a quarter in Prague under my belt and I still think I would need A LOT of language prep to speak czech well enough for post grad work. Also I know a professor there and a couple of grad students all of whom have many complaints.

The professor gripes about how the extremely low pay for the makes it hard to attract profs who pay a lot of attention to teaching - most including her have to supplement their incomes with other things like translation. A girl I know who got her masters in history there complained about how much the department was very old school in their over emphasis on the memorization of facts, she also had other complaints that I can't quite remember.

With that said, I think that Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Also culturally, it is an extremely enriching environment- there is a sort of bookish sentiment there which I find irresistible. And Czech women... I think I fall in love every 10 minutes there.

I noticed your mentioning universities in a wide variety of countries - I think language barriers might surface unless these U's offer taught masters programs in English I don't know about. You might want to look at the University of Amsterdam - I know they have a lot of english masters programs.

I only applied exclusively to US universities because funding is determined with admission, while elsewhere the funding has to be chased separately than admission. If I get 100% rejected, I'll overcome my laziness.

Maybe I'm being overly defensive and reading something into your tone that isn't there, but it seems like you're suggesting that because they're non-US unis, they're a kind of safety school - you'll go there if you can't get in anywhere better (i.e. American schools).

I only applied exclusively to US universities because funding is determined with admission, while elsewhere the funding has to be chased separately than admission. If I get 100% rejected, I'll overcome my laziness.

That's not necessarily true.. I'd applied to the University of Jyv

If I don't get funding anywhere, then I will have a tough choice - go to one of the ones I applied to this round (without funding) or wait until the fall and apply for university of Auckland. As a NZ citizen (albeit by kind of a fluke - I'm kind of 100% all-american), I get dirt cheap tuition and ridgey sent me an awesomely helpful PM detailing that if I'm willing to search for it, there is funding available. The disadvantage to going there is I would be a long, long way from friends/family, and I would not be able to visit to set things up (housing, orientation, etc) prior to attending.

So we shall see...

Zoberg, would you mind posting that link maybe?

I'm an american but did my M.Phil overseas.. I have applied to a bunch of programs in the UK/Ireland but so far, not good... same with the american applications.. what a tough year to be doing this.

Any advice for Ph.D by research programs in the UK/Europe whose deadlines have yet to pass???

thanks in advance :)

Here you are!

http://www.swan.ac.uk/german/bcla/clww.htm

I have found it INSANELY helpful. I hope you do, too.

I have narrowed down my choices to Helsinki, Wien (Vienna), Muenster, Freie Universitaet Berlin, Kent (the Cambridge-Paris program) and Edinburgh. Subject to change!

Thanks, everyone!

I did my summer internship in Vienna. Its an awesome place for a student to live in. The university is pretty good too. Helsinki is great as well, I turned down an offer from there for a summer internship but have friends who went there and enjoyed the experience a lot. Europe is a great place to do a PhD in if funded because they generally pay you much more.. you can live a pretty comfortable life as opposed to frugal lifestyles one would have to adhere to as grad students in the US. I do not want to do my grad studies in Europe simply because I lack undergrad background in the area that I intend to do my PhD in and hence would like to have intensive course work which only US offers. So its kinda unfortunate that I would not be able to go spend my graduate days in my favorite place, Wien, though I might soon have an offer from the musical acoustics dept at the University of Music and Performing Arts there but I have to decline it if they do make an offer. :( I love Vienna!

Thanks!

Might I ask, are you fluent in all of those languages or have any concerns about that? I am looking into a school in Greece, and while I speak a little and the coursework is in English, I'm a little concerned..

I'm fluent in German, so Germany would be most useful and the easiest in that respect. I'd contact the department to see whether there are classes taught in English or a professor willing to work with you in English.

And I actually studied abroad in Vienna! It IS a fantastic city! I miss it terribly. That's why I feel very drawn to it. :wink:

I did my MA at the University of Amsterdam. It cost half as much as any program in the U.S. and was a great year. I highly recommend looking into programs in the Netherlands. I missed the funding deadline when I applied; however, most of the folks in my program got their MA funded (tuition + housing +1000 euro/month stipend). They have over 100 English language programs and many research PhD options. I think their deadline is in April and they do not require GRE's and some departments don't even have application fees. Plus, the language barrier is softened by the fact that most Dutch speak fantastic English. On another note, many of the doctoral programs have 'open' calls for PhD projects; therefore, you can pitch your own research project versus working on a predetermined one.

I applied to PhD programs in the US and abroad this year and haven't decided which way to go yet. Most of the European programs are still accepting applications so I don't expect to hear final decisions for awhile. Ahhhh!

If I don't get into any of my school I applied to this year I will apply to some schools in London and see how that goes.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing meg. Originally I was going to apply to about 4 universities in the UK, but was really confused about the process and how I would come up with money to move to another country etc.

My major professor still thinks I should apply to St Andrews, because he has connections, but I am not sure. I feel a little overwhelmed with the process, along with trying to brace myself for massive rejection here in the US.

What schools are you thinking about applying to?

I only applied to one UK school this cycle and can tell you that the process was much, much easier than the US applications I did. The only challenging part for some might be having to specifically define one's research topic and submit a short proposal detailing it. Once you determine which possible faculty members you might want to work with send an email introducing your topic and see how they react. If they are interested they will help direct you through the application process, in addition to advising about funding opportunities.

Good luck on your apps!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I know you do not have good views about Turkey and Turkish Universities. (probably) But here many universities teach in English and have perfect graduate programs. They are waiting for international applicants and providing very good scholarships. For instance, Sabanc? University in Istanbul gives 1200 TL (app. 800 USD which is perfect in Turkey) (more if you study PhD) monthly stipend, tuition fee and a laptop. Koc University is same (with 1400 TL in MA). Bilkent Unversity in Ankara also presents very good programs and scholarship oppurtunities. This three (private) also provide housing in personal dormitory rooms. Apart from these schools, some state schools such as Bogazici and METU demand no tuition fee, but give no scholarship.

As you can see from their websites, almost all of their teachers hold PhD degrees from American and English top universities. Teachers and students are fluent in English. Life in Istanbul and Ankara is ok. At least a master degree in Turkey can be considered before PhD. And there is still enough time for applications. (Check websites)

People who have other questions about universities and everyday life in Turkey, feel free to ask whatever you want.

www.sabanciuniv.edu.tr

www.ku.edu.tr

www.bilkent.edu.tr

www.boun.edu.tr

www.metu.edu.tr

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I know you do not have good views about Turkey and Turkish Universities. (probably) But here many universities teach in English and have perfect graduate programs. They are waiting for international applicants and providing very good scholarships. For instance, Sabanc? University in Istanbul gives 1200 TL (app. 800 USD which is perfect in Turkey) (more if you study PhD) monthly stipend, tuition fee and a laptop. Koc University is same (with 1400 TL in MA). Bilkent Unversity in Ankara also presents very good programs and scholarship oppurtunities. This three (private) also provide housing in personal dormitory rooms. Apart from these schools, some state schools such as Bogazici and METU demand no tuition fee, but give no scholarship.

As you can see from their websites, almost all of their teachers hold PhD degrees from American and English top universities. Teachers and students are fluent in English. Life in Istanbul and Ankara is ok. At least a master degree in Turkey can be considered before PhD. And there is still enough time for applications. (Check websites)

People who have other questions about universities and everyday life in Turkey, feel free to ask whatever you want.

http://www.sabanciuniv.edu.tr

http://www.ku.edu.tr

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr

http://www.boun.edu.tr

http://www.metu.edu.tr

Thanks for the info. I am a little curious here and do have a few questions for you:

1. Are you from Turkey? (i guess the answer is yes).

2. Can someone who only speaks english study there (i.e .ive tehre for a year) if willing to learn some Turkish but not much.

thanks in advance.

One piece of advice, if you are applying to international schools don't assume that they are all as responsive as North American ones. I got in to Queens University of Belfast a couple of years ago, and although the department let me know of my acceptance in a reasonable time the graduate school never informed me that I won a full scholarship. Meanwhile, months past and I accepted a different (funded) offer.

the answer to the first question is a "yes". i live in ankara, just obtained BA degree, and now starting an MA program here.

for the second question, as i said before, all universities i recommended as well as some other less popular colleges teach in english. we, students of these universities, are able to speak english. i mean, there is no problem with the fact that you know only english. for daily life, it is probably enough even if most people outside do not speak any foreign lanmguage.

and if you are eager to learn turkish, i would say that a friend of mine from germany had an advanced level of turkish in only two years. as you know, the best way to learn a language is to live with people who can speak it fluently.

one thing to keep in mind is that students coming from US and Europe went to top schools in the US and UK. also, almost all teachers here (particularly have a look at universities below) hold their PhD degrees from top American schools.

however, please be aware that second round of application due to early june! so be quick if you want to apply!

• 7 years later...
On 3/4/2009 at 11:34 AM, zoberg said:

So, as I'm receiving unpleasant responses from American universities (and expected one from Canada), I'm becoming more and more convinced that I ought to complete my post-graduate studies in Europe.

There's a fantastic website created by the British Comparative Literature Association which lists every comp lit program across the globe. Many of these universities have later deadlines, such as late March, early May, and German universities don't cut off until July for the fall semester.

As of right now, I'm seriously considering the University of Kent (both the 1-yr Canterbury and Canterbury-Paris programs), University of Edinburgh, Charles University in Prague, Helsinki University, University of Vienna (Universitaet Wien) and Uppsala University in Sweden (this being my stretch school due to the university's prestige). I've completed the first two applications and am psyched to begin the rest.

Have you applied at any programs off of North America? Are you planning to?

I am faring pretty unpleasantly as well. My soul hurts. This is all interesting. Curious what you thought of Kent's program? I like their website and faculty; do you know anything about their reputation? They seem to have a pretty high acceptance rate; I am curious if anyone knows why.