Contacting Professors

InUtero1994

As socialcomm says, there's nothing glaringly wrong here. I'd suggest making it more assertive:

'I hope to apply' --> 'I am applying'

'which seeks to examine' --> 'which examines'

And yes, it's summer, so it might take longer than usual to get a response. Don't get discouraged.

So I've contacted a couple of professors for Ph.D programs, but without any luck - that is, no response at all.

Should I bother resending them?

Or would it be better to wait until the professors are back in school in September?

I know some of my profs never answer emails from students during summer.

p.s. I'm in humanities, and I did get into my current MA program without every talking/making contacts with my advisor.

So I'm little confused about how important it really is to make that contacts..

Generally, it's fairly important to make contact before you apply -- so you know that you're a good fit with the research the faculty is currently doing. But like anything, it often depends on the program. One of the program admins told me that if you say you've talked to faculty, your app gets put in the special pile -- so in that case, it ends up being a good thing. But I know there's some programs that discourage prospective applications from contacting profs... so it goes both ways.

When did you contact them? Months ago? Weeks? What questions did you ask them? I'm sure you'd be more likely to get a response in the Fall, but it could just be that they aren't going to respond (maybe an indication of what they're like to work with??). If it's been a couple months, a follow up wouldn't hurt.

When did you contact them? Months ago? Weeks? What questions did you ask them? I'm sure you'd be more likely to get a response in the Fall, but it could just be that they aren't going to respond (maybe an indication of what they're like to work with??). If it's been a couple months, a follow up wouldn't hurt.

I contacted her about 2-3 weeks ago: just a brief email stating my area of interest, a couple of books/articles I read by her that I thought was indicative of the "good fit," and my intention to apply. The only question I had at the time was whether she'll be accepting new students. I tried to listen to the advice ppl have been giving here.

I guess I should try again?

One more question,

what do you put in the email for your subject line?

I'm so terribly at this...

Another quick question... Is it better to send a brief opening email stating a very short description of my area of interest and then follow it up with a longer email of my research interests once a prof replies, or is it better to send a fairly detailed first email of past study and questions, with reference to a piece of their specific research?

Another quick question... Is it better to send a brief opening email stating a very short description of my area of interest and then follow it up with a longer email of my research interests once a prof replies, or is it better to send a fairly detailed first email of past study and questions, with reference to a piece of their specific research?

I don't have a lot of experience in this, but from what I have heard, it's better to do a very brief email first, and then follow up if they reply. I think the prof is much more likely to read and respond to a short email. Once they know you and are interested, they will take the time to read a more detailed email.

• 3 weeks later...

Nikki, did you get a response based on these kinds of questions? I'm thinking of writing something similar to professors.

I got a few detailed responses (info about the program, asking me questions, etc), a few short responses (apply early, space is limited, etc), and one I had to email twice to get a one line response.

Overall I think the strategy was good. It showed them that I had done my homework, gave them a little background, and gave me the chance to see who was able to take new students.

I'm new to the application process, and I just want to make sure I'm doing things within the norm.

Is it a good idea to attach your resume to the email when contacting a professor? (It would be my academic/research-oriented resume, though it includes relevant work information). I want to highlight that I have a good undergrad GPA from a top-25 school, and some other things (at the hopes of getting the attention of the prof), but I'm not sure if this is too much?

Thanks in advance, I am so appreciative of all the advice on this forum; it's been a huge help.

what i did is talk about their work and how my ideas could contribute/ overlap with it. and relate what i've done (and how i have a strong gpa/ research experience) and how this would be beneficial to them how i can make experiences that may not seem so relevant off the bat (i have alot of research in health behaviors) and how this can apply to thier reserach/ what i want to do (moral cognition)

that seems to get attention for me....my view is that profs are busy get right to the point as politely as possible. if they want your cv/ transcript theyll ask for it/ see it in your application. contact with a prof before hand is away to show your unique...ideas iguess that may not come across in as much detail in your SOP

I wish I had seen this thread last year!

Quick question: I am planning on reapplying to several schools that I was rejected from last year. I'm hoping to enhance my chances of admission by reaching out to some faculty members ahead of time via e-mail, but are my prior rejections something I should address in my initial e-mails to them? Or should I just act like nothing happened? ;)

Any input would be great - thanks!

Quick question: I am planning on reapplying to several schools that I was rejected from last year. I'm hoping to enhance my chances of admission by reaching out to some faculty members ahead of time via e-mail, but are my prior rejections something I should address in my initial e-mails to them? Or should I just act like nothing happened? ;)

I wouldn't bring it up! Most likely, they won't remember specifics (think of all the names that float across their desk in a given year). You aren't lying to say, "I am applying this year and am interested in your research...." But I don't really see an upside to telling them that you were rejected last year, you know? I don't think it will count against you if someone does remember, but I wouldn't make a point of bringing it up.

sooo

what about after you've contacted them and are going fo ra meeting what are some dos and don'ts? I've read the profs work, i want to ask him about his current projects/ what people in his lab are doing and i have a few ideas that overlap with his reserach

but I'm not sure what else to talk about.....or ask......

Is it a good idea to attach your resume to the email when contacting a professor? (It would be my academic/research-oriented resume, though it includes relevant work information). I want to highlight that I have a good undergrad GPA from a top-25 school, and some other things (at the hopes of getting the attention of the prof), but I'm not sure if this is too much?

I never sent any sort of CV in my emails. I always focused on their research, my research, and whether or not it would be a good fit. I generally asked people if they were accepting students, about their advising style, and about current and future research plans. I also talked about my own interests and background briefly. If they want to see a CV, they will ask you.

How do you communicate that? Do you write it in your SOP?

You could easily write the following in your SOP: "I am particularly interested in working with Dr. X and Dr. Y, both of whom I have been in contact with regarding my interest in the program". Or something like that.

Thanks for the advice, I've sent a couple emails and didn't include a resume. I'm a bit disappointed by the results though. One professor who would be a good fit is unfortunately not teaching at the university next year (although he seemed enthusiastic about me and my interests, so I took that as a good sign), and the other sent me a bit of an odd reply. He broke down my email line by line, and then on the question on whether he would be taking on new students, he just said that due to the state's budget crisis, he couldn't really say. There was no feedback on whether he'd be interested in taking me on, etc. Perhaps this is normal and I shouldn't get discouraged, I guess because I'm limited by geographic location (I can't move and am only applying to programs in my city area), I was hoping to get better feedback--especially as these are the lower tier schools & programs on my list that I contacted. In addition to this and a few other setbacks, I'm starting to feel that this PhD application process is really discouraging through and through!

Thanks for the advice, I've sent a couple emails and didn't include a resume. I'm a bit disappointed by the results though. One professor who would be a good fit is unfortunately not teaching at the university next year (although he seemed enthusiastic about me and my interests, so I took that as a good sign), and the other sent me a bit of an odd reply. He broke down my email line by line, and then on the question on whether he would be taking on new students, he just said that due to the state's budget crisis, he couldn't really say. There was no feedback on whether he'd be interested in taking me on, etc. Perhaps this is normal and I shouldn't get discouraged, I guess because I'm limited by geographic location (I can't move and am only applying to programs in my city area), I was hoping to get better feedback--especially as these are the lower tier schools & programs on my list that I contacted. In addition to this and a few other setbacks, I'm starting to feel that this PhD application process is really discouraging through and through!

Your experiences/situation sounds a lot like mine. It's easy to get discouraged, but don't give up!

• 4 weeks later...

I have prepared a template for contacting potential advisors and I have a paragraph there which is to be adjusted for each. But what if I want to contact more than one in the same program? If they share info, how would they take it?

No one is going to be shocked that you're interested in two professors at the same department. Avoid sending both of them a message saying "you're the best fit for me" and you should be fine.

I HATE HATE HATE cold emailing professors. I'm an introvert even by email, it seems.

I'm making myself do it though, and so far so good. The first email I sent was to someone in a different discipline to the rest of my apps, so I was able to ask genuine questions about whether I would fit. Very positive response.

I just this moment sent a second email to someone at my top choice school, where I was rejected last year. They've already rejected me once, so what's the worst that can happen? I found I can't bring myself to straight up ask "Are you taking new students next year?" It's kind of assumed that you want to be their student by the fact that you're emailing that person, right?

No one is going to be shocked that you're interested in two professors at the same department. Avoid sending both of them a message saying "you're the best fit for me" and you should be fine.

You're right, but It was the fact that I contact more than one person at the same place that concerned me. It was doing it with practically the same letter. I got over it, though.

This is certainly what Ivy League grads would like to think. As often as not, pedigree hurts the private college grad, since they think that they don't need to do any work other than merely showing up with that sheepskin in hand.

Existence alone is not impressive.

Agreed! My family and a few friends at other schools told me not to worry too much about grad-school applications, because a degree from my undergrad Ivy League institution would win everyone over.

It didn't. Not even close. The name alone is NOT enough.

No one had any doubts about my intelligence, of course, but that's not the only thing that graduate programs are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been invited for an on campus meeting after contacting faculty? I'm meeting with two faculty within the same - fairy prestigious - department, and I am wondering if this is a common practice within the humanities? I'm trying to find a delicate balance between being confident without getting my hopes up.