Is a B okay on your transcript?

gidadu

This might seem like a weird question, but -- how likely is it that you will be accepted to a tier 1 PhD program in Theology with a B on your transcript? I have four A- right now and all the rest are As (and am currently in my third year of full-time seminary), but I have one exegesis class that is killing me and I'm starting to think I might get a B in the class. Would it be better to withdraw and have a W on my transcript, or is it better to have the B? Again I realize it's a weird question, but I've heard that it's nearly impossible to get into a PhD program if you don't have straight As, and I'm wondering if there's truth to that. Thanks...

I remember being worried about this, too. I have a B+ on one of my transcripts (from my first M*). In the end I don't think it hurt me much. If your application is overall good, I doubt it will raise any suspicion of your (in)ability in a 'top' program. This differs from committee to committee, but I think individual grades are less important, at least in the process of reviewing your application. I have heard faculty are unlikely (given the number of applicants) to look at each of the courses you have taken and/or their grades. Your GPA, on the other hand, is likely to be seen at the outset. A B will certainly lower your GPA, but I don't know how damaging, as your grades overall and the scale used influence one's GPA accordingly (e.g. some use 3.67 as an A-, while some use 3.7, and so on). Another point to consider is if you want that person to write you a letter of rec. If so, well, you might not want to ask them. 

I had professors in the past who as personal policy never handed out A's, and I think I've done all right so far. My graduate transcript from UofC has B-'s (all the other grades are A's with a B+ here and there) from intermediate Persian language courses (I received all A's in my courses at UCLA). The professor never gave out A's and even PhD students and hopeful students wanting PhDs in Iranian/Persian Studies were getting grades around mine. It was a huge issue at the time.. 

Regardless, the outcome of this was that of the 6 of us who chose to remain in his course till the end, 3 are PhD students at the University of Chicago (one in History and 2 in NELC, two focusing in Iranian Studies), one student at Yale (in Iranian History), a guy who dropped out of the program all together, and then yours truly. Three of these students (who were in terminal MA programs at the time) ended up getting into top programs (Yale, UofC, Toronto, Cornell, etc) despite their transcript being littered with B's and C's in their field of interest. When I applied for PhD programs a few years back halfheartedly, I was accepted into Columbia's Religion program. So it is possible. 

If you're overly concerned, such as I was, and don't feel like addressing something like this in your SOP, then I'd suggest one of two things:
1. Take a course in relatively the same area, do better in that course, and get a recommendation from a professor who can speak to your strengths in that area.

2. Have one of your recs explain the situation and attest to your strengths in that area.

Two of my recs did the latter this cycle without me asking because they knew the big hoopla it  caused (phds being put on academic probation, the dean getting involved, etc). .  

I have friends that have had around 3.7 GPAs and got into tier 1 schools. My best friend received a B+ in Aramaic and still scored a spot in ND's CJA. As far as I understand it, grades are solid indicators that a student has taken his or her classes seriously, but adcoms don't pick the 3.98 applicant over the 3.89 on the basis of GPA. That said, everyone has had that professor, like Aubstopper mentioned, who is impossible to please. I had a professor who just didn't like me; she liked everyone else though. It happens. Few people maintain a 4.0 through graduate school. Calculate your GPA and see how far another B would drop you. If you are still in the 3.8 area, I personally--key word, personally--wouldn't withdraw for fear of a B. Before you make any decisions be sure to visit the website for your top picks to see if they list the average GPA of incoming PhD students in your field. 

Grades matter a lot less than people think they do. 

Couldn't have said it better.

There's this atmosphere at Vandy that if you get an A- in a course you're fucked for PhD studies, and professors have finally started speaking out about this that the obsession with grades has gone too far. I imagine if it's happening at VDS, it's happening elsewhere. That said, it's to be expected. The application system is inherently vague and structured in such a manner that we have to stress about every detail and it's all about vague terms like "fit" and timing. So, for your standard Type A personality that has to be in control, this system strips of us of that so we become vulnerable, which we REALLY hate. After all, we take things personal, if I were to spend hours putting together applications and writing research proposals and get rejected across the board, I'd feel like the schools are saying my ideas aren't worth their time, thus I'm of no value. I get the stressing over anything that culminates in summarizing your work and effort into a single letter but if a school rejects you, it's not because you had a B.

One of the things a professor told me about applying to school, and the difficulties and rejection we're likely to experience is that it is a good foretaste of academic life.  He's a young, incredibly successful academic who is almost a printing press since starting his job.  He had an entire session devoted to his dissertation at the latest SBL meeting.  And he told me if I want to be academic, I will have to get used to crushing rejection over and over again and that even the most successful scholars get articles, book proposals, etc. rejected more than they get them accepted.  

That being said, from the person who said it, I think really clarifies to me that we're far from able to control things in this line of work that we're all hoping to get into. The application process is just the beginning.

Pax,

Luke

my sense (after a stint on an adcom) that one B will not even be blinked at. Literally, the reviewer is looking at your transcripts for trends. We see one B in a sea of A's? We just pass by it.

Edited by doobiebrothers

I would say (for tier 1 top ten) 3.7 will not get blinked at. Up from there and you're impressive, lower than that and the committee takes notice. But that's not a kiss of death, as long as you do a good job explaining the grades, and as long as there is an upward trend.

What's the magic cut off for gpa?

(I realize there is no magic number in reality but on a practical level what is the usual cut-off?)

YDS, at least, does not calculate GPA and stopped giving Latin honors three years ago. GPA, as an average, means almost nothing because it obscures strengths in some areas, the individual difficulty of particular professors or fields, etc. etc. Don't worry about GPA. Worry about having good grades in the courses in your intended fields of study.