Official Fall 2016 Interview Thread

Has anyone received an invitation to interview with GVSU yet? Their website says that applicants will be notified mid-february, which is like...now lol. I'm trying not to be a psycho and check my email nonstop, but the stress is killing me! 

I'm considering emailing Dr. Macauley, but I don't want to bug her...so if anyone has any info on interviews, it would be super appreciated! 

Hi Everyone, 

I've just received an email invitation to a phone interview at The University of New Mexico (UNM). I'm really excited because this sounds like a fantastic program and this will be a great way for them to get to know me and me them. 

Anywho - I was wondering if anyone knows anything about their interviews, how they run, what they tend to ask about, etc. 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, mcamp said:

Hi Everyone, 

I've just received an email invitation to a phone interview at The University of New Mexico (UNM). I'm really excited because this sounds like a fantastic program and this will be a great way for them to get to know me and me them. 

Anywho - I was wondering if anyone knows anything about their interviews, how they run, what they tend to ask about, etc. 

Thanks!

I have had 1 interview so far. My friend told me to expect random questions like "whats your favorite tv show?" or "what do you do when your stressed" but I had speech based questions asking my experience, passion, etc. They also asked me to think about a time i observed a session and to explain - diagnosis, goals, what the clinician did, what i thought, ect.

My advice to you is to be confident in all of your answers, and to be yourself. Best of luck!

Hi Everyone,

On February 10th, I received an email about a phone interview for Syracuse. My interview is this upcoming week, and it says it is brief and informal, but I was still wondering if anyone has any tips for this conversation?

Also, I received an email from The College of Saint Rose on February 18th about an e-interview the first week of March. Does anyone have any tips for this interview as well?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

1 hour ago, lindsey8 said:

Does anyone have any insight into interviews at Boston University?? I haven't heard anything about them or what types of questions they ask so I'm a bit nervous!

i could be wrong, but didnt someone say they were kinda relaxed? 

someone needs to confirm this, i could be mixing up with emerson

Has anyone ever heard of an applicant being rejected after an interview? I would like to think that interviews are just to sort out acceptances vs wait lists.

Yes, good luck to all of the Emerson interviewees today!

I've been watching their videos on the website and reading papers coming out of the labs I'm interested in so I can make the most out of my chance to ask questions. I'm also working on 30-second versions of answers to the popular questions like "Tell us about yourself", etc because I don't want to ramble or put my foot in my mouth. Though knowing me, it'll probably happen anyway.

On February 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM, mcamp said:

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks!

I had my phone interview on Monday. They mainly wanted to know stuff like why I was interested in this field, diversity in the clinic, and something else. They were really friendly, and once we figured out how to get the speaker phone to work it wasn't too bad!

Have you had your interview yet?

7 hours ago, racoomelon said:

I had my phone interview on Monday. They mainly wanted to know stuff like why I was interested in this field, diversity in the clinic, and something else. They were really friendly, and once we figured out how to get the speaker phone to work it wasn't too bad!

Have you had your interview yet?

Yeah, I had mine on Monday as well! We talked about similar things. The professors were nice and I felt things went well. I just wish I'd had more time. I felt very rushed to get through it all in the suggested ten minutes.

Did they mention anything about a decision date? 

9 minutes ago, mcamp said:

I just wish I'd had more time. I felt very rushed to get through it all in the suggested ten minutes.

Did they mention anything about a decision date? 

I did too. I didn't feel like they let me ask all of my questions because we were running out of time.

Uh no. But, because I spend my free time during work creeping on the admissions page, I saw that last year they notified people sometime around March 7th, maybe March 11th. So I'm thinking second week of March.

Y'all I am such an idiot. I didn't consider until I got out of the shower at 9:45 that my 10:45 interview was Eastern time. 

The interviewers called me to see what's up though and told me not to panic, it happens. Another guy called a few minutes later to reschedule for tomorrow so it's all good I just can't believe how dumb that was. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, racoomelon said:

I did too. I didn't feel like they let me ask all of my questions because we were running out of time.

Uh no. But, because I spend my free time during work creeping on the admissions page, I saw that last year they notified people sometime around March 7th, maybe March 11th. So I'm thinking second week of March.

We got through about 6 questions I think. It felt rushed :/ It was by design though; they started off saying it was only supposed to last about 10 min. I really just appreciate that they even did interviews! Most programs I've applied to don't even interview at all. It's a really nice personal touch. 

I for one am glad for your use of free time :)  I just can't wait to hear back! 

9 minutes ago, mcamp said:

We got through about 6 questions I think. It felt rushed :/ It was by design though; they started off saying it was only supposed to last about 10 min. I really just appreciate that they even did interviews! Most programs I've applied to don't even interview at all. It's a really nice personal touch. 

I for one am glad for your use of free time :)  I just can't wait to hear back! 

It was a nice change, and I think it was a good experience. I'm kind of glad they kept it so short, just because I felt like I was starting to talk in circles. 

I really liked what they told me about UNM's clinical placements. Apparently we get to see a private practice, school-based, and more of a hospital setting. Plus, they have you work with kids and adults, which I was super excited about! 

On 2/26/2016 at 11:50 AM, BamaBelle said:

Good luck to those of you interviewing at Emerson today! Let us know how it goes! 

What are y'all doing to prepare for your interviews?

Hey all you Emerson applicants! I just had my Skype interview this afternoon. Nothing to stress about - it was 12 minutes long and at the very beginning of the interview they said they had 15 minutes max. I was interviewed by two faculty members, very friendly, and they asked 3 questions. I'm not going to reveal all of them, but they were personality-based questions and did not involve any clinical knowledge. The last question that threw me off and took me a couple seconds to think about was "If you had a superpower and could change one thing about the world, what would you do and why?" After this, we had only a couple minutes for my questions. I asked them about when to expect a response, and they said within a week. Hope it helps all you guys out there <3 good luck!