Official Fall 2016 Interview Thread

11 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Wait what???  Women can't wear pantsuits without subtle negativity?  Just wondering where this comes from.  Not trying to give you a hard time at all, but this surprises me.  Or maybe just because I'm from a big city? 

I can only imagine pantsuits being a negative in extremely conservative fields, and maybe law. I am team pantsuits, forever.

On 3/20/2016 at 1:56 AM, Jolie717 said:

Wait what???  Women can't wear pantsuits without subtle negativity?  Just wondering where this comes from.  Not trying to give you a hard time at all, but this surprises me.  Or maybe just because I'm from a big city? 

I´m not a woman - so honestly I haven´t experienced this myself but I used to work at my universities career center and my boss (a woman) always recommended against women wearing pantsuits (especially in certain industries like business, finance, etc) because she said men (and even women) view it as power hungry, emasculating, or simply "not traditional." I could pretty easily see this being true especially in more conservative areas. Sadly there is still a lot of misogyny in our society & culture (perhaps Donald Trump´s comments about Megan Kelly are a good example). 

• 2 weeks later...
On March 25, 2016 at 9:54 AM, mcamp said:

I´m not a woman - so honestly I haven´t experienced this myself but I used to work at my universities career center and my boss (a woman) always recommended against women wearing pantsuits (especially in certain industries like business, finance, etc) because she said men (and even women) view it as power hungry, emasculating, or simply "not traditional." I could pretty easily see this being true especially in more conservative areas. Sadly there is still a lot of misogyny in our society & culture (perhaps Donald Trump´s comments about Megan Kelly are a good example). 

Interesting - now I'll have to bug my attorney sister to see what she thinks.  I never thought twice about pantsuits in interview situations!  But I have to add that I find such bias insulting, to say the least.  Thankfully my last interview was via Skype...

19 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Interesting - now I'll have to bug my attorney sister to see what she thinks.  I never thought twice about pantsuits in interview situations!  But I have to add that I find such bias insulting, to say the least.  Thankfully my last interview was via Skype...

Yeah, it's a really sad thing. Have you ever watched "RuPaul's Drag Race?" It is basically America's Next Top Model... but for Drag Queens - it's pretty funny. But, what's really interesting to me about drag in generally (and especially that show) is how it shows that what is for "boys" and what is for "girls" is really artificial / constructed by society. At least, that's what I think of when I watch it, lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

I have my first and only interview coming up next week and I'm so nervous! Does anyone have any tips on what to prepare for? 

My best advice is to prepare yourself for any questions they might ask. I first wrote out my answers then practiced a whole bunch! Although I didn't have the exact same questions as the ones I was practicing it def helped me to be able to respond quickly and efficiently. Make sure you know what you want to say, and how you want to come across. I think most schools are looking for intelligent/friendly people! Good luck

Edited by Slp123*

22 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

I have my first and only interview coming up next week and I'm so nervous! Does anyone have any tips on what to prepare for? 

To add to what @SLP123* said,  this is also your time to interview the school! When I did my interview I made sure to have a few questions prepared regarding that program specifically, like if there was any interaction with students/faculty in the education or nursing programs at the school. I think schools like applicants who show some initiative. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how long you should wait to contact the school if you haven't heard back by the time that they said they would have decisions made? 

Edited by panda1991

• 6 months later...
On February 9, 2016 at 9:24 AM, hedgiehog said:

Hey everyone! I see a lot about Emerson, but since I didn't apply there I figured I would add a different interview to the list! I got an email inviting me to interview at Sacred Heart University yesterday (2/8)! The only options they gave me were Friday, Feb 19th or Saturday, Feb. 20th.  Hoping to get a spot in the Saturday interviews, but very excited! I do not know much about their program so I am excited to see everything and meet some of the staff!

Hi! I got an email inviting me to interview at Sacred Heart University today (1/19)! I was hoping you can give me some tips on what to expect and if you have any advice. Thank you :)