Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

1 minute ago, Horb said:

Oh, no no no! I know nothing. I was just noticing how there haven't been any notifications (at least on this forum) and I was hoping that meant a big group was being notified. I don't know if that is the case. Maybe they have no countries to notify today *shrugs*

Oh!! Okay. Yeah I figured :/ Sigh or maybe they're just waiting to let em rip with decisions later on...

2 hours ago, theanine said:

Is this for all grants or just for your specific country? 

This is what was in my email: " We have been informed by ECA about having all U.S. student notifications go out by March 1. U.S. Student applicants could have many offers this spring.  In order to stay competitive with graduate school and other fellowship acceptance deadlines, Fulbright is aiming to notify all U.S. Student candidates of their selection status by April 1 (preliminary).  To meet this deadline, we were asked to complete our review by March 1.  "

1 minute ago, gogotime said:

This is what was in my email: " We have been informed by ECA about having all U.S. student notifications go out by March 1. U.S. Student applicants could have many offers this spring.  In order to stay competitive with graduate school and other fellowship acceptance deadlines, Fulbright is aiming to notify all U.S. Student candidates of their selection status by April 1 (preliminary).  To meet this deadline, we were asked to complete our review by March 1.  "

Whoa. So we really should be hearing a ton in the next week or so!

30 minutes ago, Lab6214 said:

I'm officially shameless and have no qualms with calling. Just checked, they aren't working on Spain and it probably won't be today since they haven't heard decisions from the country yet.

Did you speak to Marla Mazer directly? 

2 hours ago, Dash123 said:

I honestly think it comes down more to luck at this point than anything. We could try to scrutinize but really it all has to do with which (if any) primary select denies their grant. My biggest concern is like if there was a last minute need for me, I wouldn't have time to prepare by learning Czech (language wasn't required for applying but they recommend working knowledge of the language by the time you go). If they somehow called me up in August saying "hey a spot opened up last minute," I'd be like uhhhhhhhh can you learn a whole language in a couple weeks? hah

Anyway, I really just wish they published the numbers of how many alternates there are. 

I am the same way! It's going to be insanely hard to learn the language in such a short notice... When do you think it would be a good time to reach out to see if any there is any update on our alternate status. If so, who would we reach out to?

1 minute ago, hank.img said:

Why don't they just use those funds for us alternates? :P

Well, they have funds specifically set aside for research, but it isn't a ton (I think the number I was was $500-1000?). But yes, I hope all alternates get bumped up!

2 minutes ago, artlesspredilection said:

I called for East Asia-Pacific, and the person in charge of the region is out of the office until next week. Not sure if the notification release is at all dependent on the PO being present? 

My bet is that it is dependent. I was assuming it'd be another week for us anyways.... I'm just too impatient to want it to be that long haha 

4 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

I'm not waiting on Turkey, but I lived in Kadikoy, Istanbul this past summer and it was such a wonderful experience. The Turks have an exceptional sense of hospitality and, the food, omg! Sending you positive energy for your award.

Thank you! I've never been, but have been hopeful to call it home for a very long time. I was selected as a ETA Finalist for 2016-2017, but they suspended the program after the attempted coup back in July :( 

Edited by ACF

48 minutes ago, gogotime said:

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully it applies to all of us. But of course we won't know till we know... :' (

Hi to everyone waiting,

I'm awaiting to hear back about the Ukraine Research, and wait is hell.

I called the Eurasia office, and I was told that historically Eurasia results are sent out mid-April via email. So if you've read the spreadsheet, then you've learned about as much as they're going to tell you.

Good luck everyone! 

7 minutes ago, pengpolaruin said:

*feels Phone vibrate* :lol:

*receives text message or WORSE -- email from annoying subscription unrelated to Fulbright* <_<

I totally get you! Every time I see the email icon, I get too excited haha 

I know I am thinking way ahead but I am curious as to who I should ask for my status (A) on the list after waiting patiently for about a month.

Apparently from the previous application cycles (both in 2014 and 2015), people who work in Fulbright commission communicated directly with the alternates on how things are looking for them as the time went on (AND even suggested them to apply again because of how high their application was on the rank).

Edited by hank.img

3 minutes ago, hank.img said:

I know I am thinking way ahead but I am curious as to who I should ask for my status (A) on the list after waiting patiently for about a month.

Apparently from the previous application cycles (both in 2014 and 2015), people who work in Fulbright commission communicated directly with alternate individuals on how things are looking for alternates as time went on (AND even suggested people to apply again because they were really high up on the rank).

Obviously, I'm not an expert, but the email another alternate posted said that there was no traditional waitlist, but rather they put on people who matched the type of candidate who withdrew. So I'm not sure if Fulbright would know.