SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Just got the auto-reply back from mine as well saying 'away for the long weekend'. it's a conspiracy. well, might as well drown away the sorrows ahead of time.

I'm actually kind of laughing about it now. I sort of picture a round table in a dark room, shadowy figures filing in quietly.

"Shall we finally release the results for the Masters scholarships?"

"Yes, I believe we shall..."

"Very well. How should I go about preparing the..."

"-BUT!... We will do this on the Friday before the May long weekend! And we will tell people the day before, so that they might inundate their department chairs and coordinators, only to be met by the isolation of unanswered phone lines and the harsh sting of out-of-the-office auto responses to the messages they have so lovingly crafted, spirits brimming with the hope that our silence has finally cracked."

"But, sir, is that not rather..."

"SILENCE. Do you not remember the purpose of our gathering?"

"..."

"So I thought. And one more thing... We will not actually release the results for two more weeks. This meeting is adjourned."

The camera leaves the room backwards, revealing a piece of paper taped to the door reading "Grad student torment committee meeting today. Refreshments following."

House lights up, crowd leaves theatre. Trash... everywhere.

Edited by Compoe

Hi all!

I have never posted on here but I thought I could relieve some of your agony with this information!

I'm in Ottawa and I received my letter today. So I guess that means that every one else should be getting their letter shortly! I was a successful applicant..yayy :)

Congratulations Joceyp17! I'm happy to hear someone has finally gotten word!

Still waiting for my letter on the West Coast. Feels like it's taking forever! I'm guessing those of us out here probably won't get the letters until mid-week next week.

Happy weekend all.

ETA: Compoe that is pretty much the most hilarious thing ever!!

Hi all!

I have never posted on here but I thought I could relieve some of your agony with this information!

I'm in Ottawa and I received my letter today. So I guess that means that every one else should be getting their letter shortly! I was a successful applicant..yayy :)

Edited by JenMR

Thanks to all you great folks at the GradCafe for those helpful posts. Last year I failed to win a SSHRC (score 15/30) and this year I scored 19.9/30 and got 1 year of funding in category B since I am in the U.S. I already completed 36 months of my program so it was my very last chance. Better luck next year for those who were in my shoes last year!

Edited by Firled

Hi all!

Thanks joyceyp17 - I'm in Ottawa too, but no letter on Friday (sigh...). Fingers crossed this is more about mail sorting and less about bad news!

Hi all!

Congrats!!!

Hi all!

PS: Congratulations on your successful application, joceyp17!

Linggirl, my fingers are crossed for you! My supervisor and other faculty members in my department told me that if your application gets sent out from your university, you've pretty much got the funding. So, hopefully, like you said, it's just a sorting issue!

This whole process of waiting has been incredibly painful!

Thanks joyceyp17 - I'm in Ottawa too, but no letter on Friday (sigh...). Fingers crossed this is more about mail sorting and less about bad news!

I've also heard that if your application gets sent on to Ottawa you're virtually guaranteed a Master's SSHRC. But if that's the case, why all of this waiting? We're already a month late. I'd like to know it's coming for sure before I embark on my summer research so I don't wind up in debt.

Linggirl, my fingers are crossed for you! My supervisor and other faculty members in my department told me that if your application gets sent out from your university, you've pretty much got the funding. So, hopefully, like you said, it's just a sorting issue!

This whole process of waiting has been incredibly painful!

Thanks JenMR. Fingers crossed for you too. Victoria's a great place. I was there for my undergrad. I agree - this waiting process sucks!

I've also heard that if your application gets sent on to Ottawa you're virtually guaranteed a Master's SSHRC. But if that's the case, why all of this waiting? We're already a month late. I'd like to know it's coming for sure before I embark on my summer research so I don't wind up in debt.

Yes, it's the 'virtually' part that's a little scary. Some earlier posts said something about a computer glitch this SSHRC season, so I think this waiting is unusual. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how people are supposed to make decisions with so much up in the air. Sigh... Best of luck!

Finally! I got my letter in Montreal - successful for the Masters award! Yeah, boy!

What's your status, ALau? It has to arrive to you soon.

Finally! I got my letter in Montreal - successful for the Masters award! Yeah, boy!

What's your status, ALau? It has to arrive to you soon.

The mailman hasn't come yet.

Just spoke to someone at UVic and, apparently, SSHRC still hasn't posted the results electronically. In fact, UVIC was astounded that students have received results in the mail before they (UVic) are able to access results. Alas, the saga continues... What the woman with whom I spoke did say was that she didn't think people on the waiting list would receive results any time soon. That is contradictory to what I was told by someone from SSHRC this morning, who said ALL Master's results were sent out on the 20th (both positive and negative).

Edited by linggirl

Ugh! Nothing like some contradictory information to raise the stress level.

Thanks for calling them, linggirl! I was thinking about emailing someone myself. But, now that I know that they don't have any info, I'll just wait for my letter to come.

Admittedly, my stomach did a little flip this morning when I was on the bus to campus. I saw some postal workers crossing the street and had considered getting off the bus to interrogate them. Probably not a good idea, especially since they weren't in my neighbourhood and probably didn't have my mail.

Just spoke to someone at UVic and, apparently, SSHRC still hasn't posted the results electronically. In fact, UVIC was astounded that students have received results in the mail before they (UVic) are able to access results. Alas, the saga continues... What the woman with whom I spoke did say was that she didn't think people on the waiting list would receive results any time soon. That is contradictory to what I was told by someone from SSHRC this morning, who said ALL Master's results were sent out on the 20th (both positive and negative).

Our forum use contradicts the system theories: the more there's information, less entropy there is. In here the more info you get, the more chaotic you feel!

I'm an MA student who just received confirmation from SSHRC. To all the MA applicants who haven't received your letters yet, you can try emailing your proram officer. Good luck everyone!

Edited by hleong

hleong, is this someone at the university (i.e. Grad Studies office)? Or at SSHRC?

I'm an MA student who just received confirmation from SSHRC. To all the MA applicants who haven't received your letters yet, you can try emailing your proram officer and ask them to send you a scanned copy of your decision letter. That's how I heard back so soon. Good luck everyone!