Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sherlock holmes

High Functioning Sociopath

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I told my psychiatrist that I was a sociopath and they didn't believe me.. based on the fact that if I was, I would be locked up in prison.  

I'm extremely high functioning and have an empathy switch.  I only told the doctor out of curiosity as to what they would do in response.  I tried telling my girlfriend that I was in fact a Sociopath and she didn't believe me either, again out of curiosity to her response.

Edited by sherlock holmes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm surprised how some people are even qualified to be psychiatrists...

psychiatrists can't even properly diagnose me, i have to diagnose myself before they believe that I truly do possess symptoms of a specific mental disorder (ex. OCD)

moreover, I tried telling my psychiatrist that I suffered from hypochondriasis in the past, and he didn't even know what that was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That's terrible yet nothing shocks me in the health care system these days.  I had a doctor shut me down cold turkey from a medication once which threw me into a bout of psychosis.. a severe bout at that.  This doctor had his license suspended in the past for some behaviour I won't disclose.   I now have a new doc and he's rather educated (I've tested him on subjects and he passed) I would actually take this guy out for dinner, though I usually despise doctors and view them as a glorified form of cattle. Most don't have interesting and new concepts and simply regurgitate.  I have a particular original I don't mind sharing, as I expect a doctor to eventually write a thesis on it anyway but it's about schizophrenia and a link to narcolepsy.  More specifically, schizophrenics that hear voices should be put through trials of stimulants and monitor if the voices become better or worse as a mild for of narcolepsy would explain a coherent dream like state where voices are heard.  With that being said.. I don't believe in hearing voices, I believe it's a persons idiotic inability to distinguish their own thought process from a so called voice.  I hear random songs all the time, that's normal, I'm not hearing random people singing and so on... anyway, I have him playing the buddy buddy system now though which makes sessions more interesting.  We are constantly busting out google for shits and giggles.  You'd think you'd be on guard with someone who declares themselves to be a sociopath but he shut it down so quickly based on the fact that I would have been caught and jailed.  He didn't even consider the idea that a person can control their actions and I suppose hit closer to the "psychopath" portion of the spectrum.  I could bet money on it that he forgot I even said anything in the past.  I will admit I'm a nice person though, as I'm not out to "get" anyone.  I simply understand that it's easy to toy with certain prey and only if they present themselves in the most accessible of ways.  Otherwise I keep to myself and portray myself as "the nice guy" to the general population that I meet.  You catch more bees with honey and it's not hard work to put on a smile and pretend I'm listening and caring for a few minutes.   I'm very selfish and aware of it but I do spoil my "best friend" since they mananged to earn my respect and I know how to go about being selfish since my honest opinion is that everyone is selfish.  An act of kindness makes someone feel good about themselves.. did they do it to be kind or just to get that self serving "good feeling".. and I'll even hold the door for you but that's because I enjoy etiquette and I'm a fan of chivalry as well.  I'm not violent and don't plan to be, as it doesn't suit my needs and I have no lust for blood.  Do I break the law? Well have you ever jay walked or made a lane change in an intersection? We all break the law.. have I participated in non violent crimes that could have resulted in jail time? enough loop holes would have been in place to stay clean and to test the loyalty of a potential friend.  Do I respect law enforcement? Special forces and detectives.. yes.. your run of the mill uniform officer.. that's another story.  I'm actually "friends" with a few police officers and my current career choice requires a clean record so I have the ability to have complete restraint over myself, well within reason I suppose.  Do I understand accounts can be hacked and my identity revealed and so on, of course but nothing I've done was worthy of investigating.  I do have a secret fantasy though, that an anonymous hacker will take interest in me and one day I'll get a screen saver pop up saying "hello from anonymous" haha;) 

 

Just an example of my mentality.. I would find a female stalker to be more flattering than anything.  I would likely encourage it and play along for the sheer novelty of it all.  Life is beyond boring is all I can say.  

 

Im likely not a sociopath or psychopath.  Simply an internet eccentric babbling about god knows what just to pass the boredom;)

Edited by sherlock holmes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sherlock holmes said:

That's terrible yet nothing shocks me in the health care system these days.  I had a doctor shut me down cold turkey from a medication once which threw me into a bout of psychosis.. a severe bout at that.  This doctor had his license suspended in the past for some behaviour I won't disclose.   I now have a new doc and he's rather educated (I've tested him on subjects and he passed) I would actually take this guy out for dinner, though I usually despise doctors and view them as a glorified form of cattle. Most don't have interesting and new concepts and simply regurgitate.  I have a particular original I don't mind sharing, as I expect a doctor to eventually write a thesis on it anyway but it's about schizophrenia and a link to narcolepsy.  More specifically, schizophrenics that hear voices should be put through trials of stimulants and monitor if the voices become better or worse as a mild for of narcolepsy would explain a coherent dream like state where voices are heard.  With that being said.. I don't believe in hearing voices, I believe it's a persons idiotic inability to distinguish their own thought process from a so called voice.  I hear random songs all the time, that's normal, I'm not hearing random people singing and so on... anyway, I have him playing the buddy buddy system now though which makes sessions more interesting.  We are constantly busting out google for shits and giggles.  You'd think you'd be on guard with someone who declares themselves to be a sociopath but he shut it down so quickly based on the fact that I would have been caught and jailed.  He didn't even consider the idea that a person can control their actions and I suppose hit closer to the "psychopath" portion of the spectrum.  I could bet money on it that he forgot I even said anything in the past.  I will admit I'm a nice person though, as I'm not out to "get" anyone.  I simply understand that it's easy to toy with certain prey and only if they present themselves in the most accessible of ways.  Otherwise I keep to myself and portray myself as "the nice guy" to the general population that I meet.  You catch more bees with honey and it's not hard work to put on a smile and pretend I'm listening and caring for a few minutes.   I'm very selfish and aware of it but I do spoil my "best friend" since they mananged to earn my respect and I know how to go about being selfish since my honest opinion is that everyone is selfish.  An act of kindness makes someone feel good about themselves.. did they do it to be kind or just to get that self serving "good feeling".. and I'll even hold the door for you but that's because I enjoy etiquette and I'm a fan of chivalry as well.  I'm not violent and don't plan to be, as it doesn't suit my needs and I have no lust for blood.  Do I break the law? Well have you ever jay walked or made a lane change in an intersection? We all break the law.. have I participated in non violent crimes that could have resulted in jail time? enough loop holes would have been in place to stay clean and to test the loyalty of a potential friend.  Do I respect law enforcement? Special forces and detectives.. yes.. your run of the mill uniform officer.. that's another story.  I'm actually "friends" with a few police officers and my current career choice requires a clean record so I have the ability to have complete restraint over myself, well within reason I suppose.  Do I understand accounts can be hacked and my identity revealed and so on, of course but nothing I've done was worthy of investigating.  I do have a secret fantasy though, that an anonymous hacker will take interest in me and one day I'll get a screen saver pop up saying "hello from anonymous" haha;) 

 

Just an example of my mentality.. I would find a female stalker to be more flattering than anything.  I would likely encourage it and play along for the sheer novelty of it all.  Life is beyond boring is all I can say.  

 

Im likely not a sociopath or psychopath.  Simply an internet eccentric babbling about god knows what just to pass the boredom;)

my attention span is too short... sorry i didn't really read your rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, sherlock holmes said:

I told my psychiatrist that I was a sociopath and they didn't believe me.. based on the fact that if I was, I would be locked up in prison.  

I'm extremely high functioning and have an empathy switch.  I only told the doctor out of curiosity as to what they would do in response.  I tried telling my girlfriend that I was in fact a Sociopath and she didn't believe me either, again out of curiosity to her response.

What even is this thread?

 

OP are you looking for advice? A second opinion on your diagnosis (I don't believe that's allowed on the forums or ethical)? Trying to figure out the end game of the post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

What even is this thread?

 

OP are you looking for advice? A second opinion on your diagnosis (I don't believe that's allowed on the forums or ethical)? Trying to figure out the end game of the post.

 

I have to agree with you, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. I considered satire (seeing as they quoted the BBC series) or as a cry for attention or help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0