-
Posts
530 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
3
Everything posted by eeee1923
-
low level
-
Business casual (no tie needed) is good enough, especially in the cases where you've already been accepted to the program. At this point they are trying to get you to accept their offer.
-
Ended up with a surprisingly difficult choice?
eeee1923 replied to bluebear92's topic in Decisions, Decisions
I'm also finding myself in a similar situation - I'll be setting up a decision matrix in the next few weeks to aid in making the best decision. Good luck. -
Pink Floyd
-
smart outfit
-
Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school
eeee1923 replied to Clou12's topic in Waiting it Out
"So you'll go to school X since it's close to your family, right?" -
metal jacket
-
fruit snack
-
How to deal with waiting until summer for grad school . . .
eeee1923 replied to mademoiselle2308's topic in Waiting it Out
Yup as soon as I got my acceptances, I've started to lose all motivation to do any work. Too bad I need to pay my rent and bills. -
Award shows. The winners tend to "act" like they had no idea that they would win. Come on, really.
-
belt loop
-
Speaking with a professor from a program
eeee1923 replied to StatsG0d's topic in Mathematics and Statistics
Also ask the average time that students take to complete the degree, how many years of funding are students guaranteed, is a TAship required. Things along those lines in addition to the above points. -
political scandal
-
pirate bay
-
organic food
-
chemistry major
-
Intended Program: Pharmacology (Cancer Research focus) 1) Research Interest/Fit and PI's available (i.e with funding) 2) Research Facilities 3) Cost of living 4) Program Environment (do the students and profs get along, collaborations, etc.) 5) School Program Ranking (Higher rank tend to have better facilities and networking opportunities that will help with future goals) 6) Weather (I want to live somewhere warmer) 7) Distance from Home (I wouldn't want to go ridiculously far from my family for 4-5 yrs, maybe for postdoc) 8) School overall ranking (name only gets one so far) 9) Professor status (e.g., well-known or not) - PIs having funding and conducting cool research is more important IMO than how famous they are 10) having worked with (AND LOVING) your advisor prior to application (This is almost of no real concern since I've never worked with any of the PIs I looked at)
-
board games
-
- Extremely strong LORs, especially from profs, PI, and mentors that either attended, personally knew someone, or had previously taught at the institutes I had applied - Writing a strong SOP for each program, clearly demonstrating that I knew what the degree would entail and that I had adequate preparation (especially in my case where my BS & MS degrees weren't in the standard fields of study that many of the applicants coming in had - though that may have worked to my advantage) - Having 4.5 years of research experience. Even though some of the research was not in the area I'm going into - the transferable skills that I gained were viewed quite favorably. Plus by the PhD level, one should be self-motivated enough to learn material they had not previously studied if it would help with their research. - Keeping a high GPA and doing quite well on the GRE. Now I list these points last since the typical applicant in the programs I applied to already possessed these qualifications and thus I feel the first three bullets held more weight in the application process.
-
What surprised you the most going through this whole process?
eeee1923 replied to budgie's topic in 2010-2015 Archive
One thing that I've been surprised with is how fast some of the programs reach a decision. Also the corollary of how slow some programs are in the aforementioned decisions.
