Jump to content

SocialKonstruct

Members
  • Posts

    648
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    11

Everything posted by SocialKonstruct

  1. I agree but sadly enough money rules everything around us :(. For me, since I am trying to enter the contemporary art world admittedly prestige of program is going to be the main deciding factor for me.
  2. Yeah... it's hard and honestly I am probably to lay down a ton of dough for my MFA in 2 years soon so not looking forward to that
  3. COVID-19 is helping my art practice quite a bit and I really have been thriving under this difficult year. I just finished 12 group shows and right now I have a solo show in SLC, Utah. Hopefully I can do art in NYC/LA and teach. Nothing too crazy.
  4. SAIC for fiber I gather is pretty awesome. We have a professor at Weber State named Cara Krebs and she seems to be having a blast after she graduated from there.
  5. I am the opposite route. I want the bustle and drama of a huge city either LA or NY. It would be funny if I got back into Yale again for a MFA (I already got a MPH from there). I don't think it's impossible as one of our U of U graduates got into the sculpture dept. However their photography dept could be much harder to get in...
  6. Here is a cool video about MFA's.
  7. Hmm... I would try to hunt down New Genres places like Columbia, etc.
  8. Silverbuttons you don't need to worry. A long CV does not matter much. Even Yale is focused on fit and whether they can have a diverse range of students. If you are rejected most likely the program has too many of one type of student.
  9. Wow, that's news to me about UCLA
  10. I am not since I have 21 credit hours and I won't be applying for another 1.5 years.
  11. My main focus is mostly studio practice and gallery sales/career and then be an adjunct faculty/workshop teacher. I would say 80% gallery/20% academic career. I suspect that going to a top-tier MFA school is going to be the direction here.
  12. I can help out... do you have an art website I can look at?
  13. The question I have is: Can I do both a gallery and academic career? I REALLY want to! I love teaching.
  14. I have been keeping up with this thread. I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate photography BFA student and I am grateful to have a future minor in art history. I feel based on what has been going on with the MA track here at my university that being a graduate level art history student is a labor of love. I am the only Muslim, Asian-American heterosexual male who is taking upper level art history courses and having taken numerous undergraduate courses in art history is an immense amount of work and for me to be motivated to get a minor in the field, I have to remind myself that it's a labor of love. I look at the museum jobs even locally here in Utah and those are rather slim and in fact, many folks do not have a Ph.D. in art history to hold key positions in the institution. I love art history but already I realize that one of my favorite artists Cady Noland doesn't even have a monograph of her work available and there are very few articles about her installations. At this point, I am glad that I am a visual artist and that art history can help me refine my visual language. But the art history students even at a non top tier school are challenged by a bleak future. On the other hand, our art history department is hiring a young new professor who specializes in Islamic art so I am celebrating. I expect her to be permanent here as there are very few jobs in the field but no one knows at this point.
  15. University of Utah philosophy department is 90% focused on the philosophy of science, such as physics.
  16. Nice. Btw, I am originally from Brooklyn. In any case, my goal is to be entering into the NYC/LA contemporary art scene so I plan someday to have my art studio/second home close to one of those two cities. I really enjoy living in Utah and hope to have a family someday but on a practical level, my type of conceptual art doesn't jive at all with where I live at. Yale is just tough to enter and they want a variety of students in their program and not just artists who have thick resumes. Columbia and UCLA and and SAIC and RISD and Yale are pretty much in the kingmakers if you want to be recognized in the contemporary art world (we are talking about gallery representation and nods in Art in America, ArtNews, and ArtForum if you are lucky... plus art fairs). However if you want to have a quiet less hectic art practice, then pretty much any MFA where you find a kindred professor and student body is important so anywhere would be fine in that case.
  17. I think that they made exceptions only for this year. They won't allow this in any other typical year.
  18. I am glad that you were able to state how nice UCLA is. I have a friend attending CalArts right now. Luckily I just finished my summer art residency at SVA and I look forward to doing more artwork before I apply in the fall of 2022 ish for 2023 entry.
  19. UCLA is super competitive and in many ways more difficult than Yale to get into... they have the least amount of information on their website but much of it is due to their focus on not making waves and focusing on making their students top notch. Yale's programs are going to be much more visible as their website is pretty detailed.
  20. I think that the contemporary art world is doing rather well but just not the American scene. Right now China is making a "killing" on opening up new galleries and showing somewhat cutting-edge work. UK is doing all right. Much of it depends on what you want to do with your MFA. I would recommend it if you want to make the proper connections with those who are big leagues in the contemporary art world as sadly enough, those connections will help a ton. But if you are the next JR or Banksy forget about it... that is art school. You don't have to be in a MFA program if you are into street and underground art scene. But you will need luck and some publicity stunts to make yourself known if that's what you want.
  21. I definitely know that Yale allows deferral. One of our alumni from the U of U got this earlier this year but she isn't heading to Yale until next fall for sure.
  22. I just updated with public permissions now here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wY9QR3NZklLHnejguAAvw8_E_HYokru291Wkf53y_HY/edit?usp=sharing
  23. What bothers me is the lack of transparency on the school informing the public that they aren't taking a new batch of folks. Here is an example of a student list not updated for a class of 2022. https://arts.columbia.edu/visual-arts/students and http://mfafinearts.sva.edu/students Also some schools did put up their new rosters for 2022 but one can see that classes have diminished quite a bit. https://www.art.yale.edu/about/people/current-students and http://www.art.cmu.edu/mfa/students/ (CMU wasn't impacted too much). Yale sculpture probably had 4-5 deferred folks.
  24. Actually I have a suspicion that some MFA programs rejected everyone for the whole year to keep funding for their current students. They already did that for art history PHDs in Yale and U of Chicago this year.
  25. Emily Carr in Vancouver is the only one I am looking at.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use