Let's tacobout it: Impatiently Waiting

Cassatrass

Hi everyone! I'm applying for MPH programs and, although I've heard back from a few, I'm still anxious and impatient all the time. During the work day I'm constantly refreshing my email, and once it becomes evening I'm relieved but also anxious for what the next day might bring. It's a vicious cycle! 

Also, right now I've been accepted into a few good schools with really good scholarships, but I'm terrified that I'll get into the great schools with no scholarships and have to choose! It's soooooo stressful! I'm slowly going insane...

Anyone else in the same boat?!

Edited by Cassatrass

I feel like the majority of people are freaking out.  Some of them probably wouldn't admit it, but how can you not freak out over a major decision that you have to wait weeks or months to know the results.   One of my programs historically sends out interview invitations around this time.  Are those decisions going to come today or worse have they already happened?  I don't know and it is driving me crazy.  I kinda only want to get exactly one offer because that way I don't have to make a decision, but then again I choices would be nice.  I don't even know what I want anymore.   You definitely aren't alone.  

Hey, joining the stress club! I haven't received any word yet and it's driving me up the wall, though looking at the timing for the results of my schools the past few years I probably have a few more weeks to wait. I check the GradCafe results at least 4 times a day and I'm constantly on the mathematicsgre.com forum (that's kind of like a gradcafe hangout for math majors). One of my programs should be coming out within the next week or so. I'm looking forward to the semester starting so that I have something else to sink my teeth into!

Count me in, with a different type of stress: I interviewed 3 people separately for my top choice. Before that, my POI stated that I had a really strong profile and would be a good fit with the department. Interviews went extremely well. 

Right now, I feel like I am already accepted, and should just relax. At the same time, I am imagining an e-mail saying that I am rejected, which will be a really kick in the nuts. Getting the acceptance will practically mean that I am done with the whole decision-process, as this is my top choice. I can just forget about all the other applications. If I am not accepted, it will lead to another waiting-out period stress, with another round of interviews. And then there will be another post-interview waiting-out period stress for each individual university. This feels like a hierarchical stress network. 

Not to mention that I have another application that I am not sure if I should go on with it. I need to re-write a proposal, but I am in contact with 2 POIs and they both wanted different things. If I apply, I have to tell one of them that I am going with the other. And if I get accepted to my first choice, then I will have to tell both that I changed my mind again. 

I don't care (I actually do) about the results, just let me know it and I can plan accordingly!

Yes, freaking out here too. I applied to a humanities program and we should start getting results starting next week probably, but that won't stop me from refreshing this forum like I'm crazy. I had an interview today though, and I think it went okay, so that calmed me down a little. A part of me just wants to have everything in order already, you know?

1 hour ago, saccheri said:

Hey, joining the stress club! I haven't received any word yet and it's driving me up the wall, though looking at the timing for the results of my schools the past few years I probably have a few more weeks to wait. I check the GradCafe results at least 4 times a day and I'm constantly on the mathematicsgre.com forum (that's kind of like a gradcafe hangout for math majors). One of my programs should be coming out within the next week or so. I'm looking forward to the semester starting so that I have something else to sink my teeth into!

I haven't received any word either! I am just a huge ball of stress. I had a phone conversation with a POI today, but he said he is not on the graduate committee and does not know if I will be invited for an interview. He said I should hear back within the next week, but I feel like I can't wait any longer...and this is my gap year, so unfortunately, I don't have a semester to distract me.

Supposed to hear from my top pick by next week.

I'll just be happy to have the wait over with, I think. I've been so anxious and I'd really like just to be able to be excited about where I'm going instead of scared about decisions.

5 minutes ago, Fiain said:

I'd really like just to be able to be excited about where I'm going instead of scared about decisions.

Exactly this. 

I already started doing research about the city life of the program that I think will accept me, but I stop myself thinking "if they reject you, you are just wasting your life". 

Edit: it should be wasting my TIME not LIFE. Both words fit though...

Edited by Huginn
wording

1 hour ago, Huginn said:

Exactly this. 

I already started doing research about the city life of the program that I think will accept me, but I stop myself thinking "if they reject you, you are just wasting your life". 

Edit: it should be wasting my TIME not LIFE. Both words fit though...

My top pick - I've been in that city, I've friends there willing to help me look into apartments and I've worked for that PI before. So in my head I can see me there and I am so tempted to keep looking things up but then.. Like, heartbreak if I don't. So.. yeah, I totally understand. 

At least it seems that most Chemistry programs release decisions this month... Though I don't know how it is for other subjects.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:22 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Yes, freaking out here too. I applied to a humanities program and we should start getting results starting next week probably, but that won't stop me from refreshing this forum like I'm crazy. I had an interview today though, and I think it went okay, so that calmed me down a little. A part of me just wants to have everything in order already, you know?

^ This.  I know that the uni I applied to has historically released acceptances on January 20 and rejections on February 6.  That doesn't mean that I don't check a few times (okay, 20-30 times) a day.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, Huginn said:

Right now, I feel like I am already accepted, and should just relax. At the same time, I am imagining an e-mail saying that I am rejected, which will be a really kick in the nuts. Getting the acceptance will practically mean that I am done with the whole decision-process, as this is my top choice. I can just forget about all the other applications. If I am not accepted, it will lead to another waiting-out period stress, with another round of interviews. And then there will be another post-interview waiting-out period stress for each individual university. This feels like a hierarchical stress network. 

Not to mention that I have another application that I am not sure if I should go on with it.

I'm this exact situation. I got an email from my first choice of PI late December, phone interview the following week, and lab tour early this week. The PI (according to his grad students) generally does this with prospective students that receive offers, told me to await an email shortly at the end of the visit, and is definitely in a position to push my app through adcomm (tenured, best funded group in dept.), but I'm still in panic mode.

Waiting on this email for the past few days has been absolute torture. My only solace is in knowing that the PI is probably just too busy to deal with admissions this week. They've got press activities and meetings with multiple federal funding agencies, so I can't imagine I'm all that high on their list of priorities. 

Edited by sclerot_IC