Character limit for SOP

Question: Stupidly, I realized I was looking at the wrong line in the word count screen in Microsoft Word when writing my personal statement. I was looking at the number of characters (without spaces) instead of (with spaces). This meant I accidentally went over the limit by about 500 characters. I turned it in a month ago. Do you think they will notice this and automatically toss my application?

Edited by StPaulCCC

I don't want to overly worry you, but there is a chance that they will not look at your application due to this. I can't say for sure, of course, because it really depends on the school and committee. 

Interesting. I never heard of a letter limit for essays. No guarantees what they'll do. If they are checking that you followed the limit maybe they won't read it. But maybe they weren't counting spaces either? For now try to think positive and if things don't work out, you'll be more careful next time. 

If it is only a few sentences they won't notice.  They get hundreds of applications they are NOT counting them.  Unless of course their software reports to them a number and they make a habit of checking it.  Obviously if everyone else's was one page and yours was two they may not bother reading.  But I don't think they'd notice.  Don't know for sure but I know my school does not have the time to actually count...but they print out the essays to read.

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up, I ended up getting an interview and being waitlisted at this school that I messed up the word limit for! Just in case any other fools make the same mistake and are looking for hope :-P