Reaching out to POI, non-application related

TheScienceHoney

Would it be inappropriate for me to reach out to a POI about something unrelated to my application? I had a Skype call with a POI at UC Santa Barbara back in November and email contact in the time since then (though not in the last month over the holidays.) She's my top choice for a lab/program and I think she was interested in me as well. I haven't heard anything about admissions yet but I'm not concerned at this point. However, I've seen in the news all the crazy stuff that has been happening there - the wildfires, mudslides, and winter storms. I kinda wanted to send an email to her and her research tech (whom I also had a fair amount of email contact with). Something like, "Hey, I've been reading the news about all of the things happening in SB right now, just wanted to reach out and pass along my concerns. Hope you are both doing well and staying safe if any of that is affecting you." or along those lines.

Is this crossing a boundary? I'm not interested in asking her about my application status. I mean, of course I'm interested in it in general, but I don't want this email to be read as an inquiry into that. I'm genuinely concerned that they might have been affected. I'm just not sure if this is something I should reach out about.