Near Eastern Studies/NELC Fall 2018

felakuti

Chicago rejections have been posted on the website by the way. Go check the site! Maybe you've been waitlisted. 

As reputable as Chicago's program is, it's honestly a bit of a relief. I have not heard good things about crime around the area. 

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

1 hour ago, PersonaNonGrata said:

How do you all cope with rejection?

Watching TV shows I like, spending time with friends, reminding myself that there will always be other application cycles. Like yeah it sucks but at the end of the day we are more than just our applications. It can be easy to lose sight of that sometimes.

The admission process is so ridiculous, I wish they could give reasons for rejection.

Having a great GPA, completing a MA, studying the language abroad, having similar research interests as the faculty, etc, what else would they like from the applicants? An arm and a leg?

23 hours ago, PersonaNonGrata said:

The admission process is so ridiculous, I wish they could give reasons for rejection.

Having a great GPA, completing a MA, studying the language abroad, having similar research interests as the faculty, etc, what else would they like from the applicants? An arm and a leg?

I've found it to be a lot like dating. You can be handsome/gorgeous, talented, and be the perfect match on paper, but then you just get rejected for reasons that you could not anticipate. Then, you can screw everything up completely, but it somehow works out. There are just so many variables that you don't know about-- a professor of interest could be going on sabbatical, it could be another professors turn to take a grad student, there may be a student who the professor personally knows that they want to succeed, a professor may be lying to you about them being interested in you, a professor may be interested in you but the department may be emphasizing a certain subfield that year, etc. I've done this for three years and got straight rejected last year by every PhD program to which I applied. It's a crap shoot and the admissions councils have to go through many other similarly qualified candidates like ourselves. At some point, they just have to send out mass generic rejections and move on with their business. 

But all that to say, I emphasize with you completely. It sucks and it's miserable. But at least the good news is that we only need one place to say yes once. 

12 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

I've found it to be a lot like dating. You can be handsome/gorgeous, talented, and be the perfect match on paper, but then you just get rejected for reasons that you could not anticipate. Then, you can screw everything up completely, but it somehow works out. There are just so many variables that you don't know about-- a professor of interest could be going on sabbatical, it could be another professors turn to take a grad student, there may be a student who the professor personally knows that they want to succeed, a professor may be lying to you about them being interested in you, a professor may be interested in you but the department may be emphasizing a certain subfield that year, etc. I've done this for three years and got straight rejected last year by every PhD program to which I applied. It's a crap shoot and the admissions councils have to go through many other similarly qualified candidates like ourselves. At some point, they just have to send out mass generic rejections and move on with their business. 

But all that to say, I emphasize with you completely. It sucks and it's miserable. But at least the good news is that we only need one place to say yes once. 

Good advice! It is also my third round. I wish you the best; hoping to see you find a great program this time. I know how hard this process is on the mind and body. 

I'm kind of perplexed as there has been barely any movement from our discipline yet. Either that or no one is posting and I just haven't gotten in anywhere :). 

19 hours ago, tahinist said:

Hey,

Any masters applicants here? I'm tweaking out, the waiting game is killing me and I could really use some commiseration. I've applied to Harvard CMES, NYU NES, and I'm about to submit my Columbia app, had to write a writing sample from scratch because I didn't do a thesis in my undergrad (science background). Its a bit frustrating because, well, my essay probably isn't that good, and my GRE AWA (4.0) is no help. Does anyone know how closely writing samples are looked at for masters applications?

Excited for those who've already received acceptances!'

I think the majority of notifications for Master's programs come even after PhD notifications, unfortunately. :/

6 minutes ago, felakuti said:

@KA.DINGER.RA I felt the same way, I applied to Islamic Studies. Have not heard back. 

I'm really curious as to what concentration contacted them. I know sometimes they only contact certain concentrations as a time so I'm REALLY hoping it wasn't for the ANE subsection.

17 minutes ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

I'm really curious as to what concentration contacted them. I know sometimes they only contact certain concentrations as a time so I'm REALLY hoping it wasn't for the ANE subsection.

I hear you, I am becoming restless and discouraged. 

I wonder who got accepted to UCLA and under what specialization? I really wanted to apply there for Islamic studies but my professor at Princeton told me that the main guy there (KAF) is very sick and isn't taking any grad students under him... 

On 2/6/2018 at 4:10 AM, Anthrolologist said:

Just got my rejection email from UChicago as well. They did, however, refer my application to the CMES M.A. program so I guess I'll wait and see what happens there!

Did you respond to that email? I was wondering if I should respond, got the same email.

Hello everyone! 

I am so glad to find this discussion thread!

I have recently seen two rejection posts from Brandeis. I am wondering if they have already extended offers or interview invitations? Since I have not heard any word from them, I do not know how to interpret this...

Thanks in advance for your help!