Russia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia Regional Studies MA Programs 2018

Doge

On 1/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, Kalatozov said:

Hi everyone! I could not find any related threads from this year so I’m just writing here.

Did you apply to these programs at Harvard (REECA), Yale (European and Russian Studies), Columbia (MARS-REERS), Georgetown (MAERES), and maybe elsewhere? Did anyone get notifications about interviews?

Hey! I had an interview for REECA. how about you?

Hi! I actually didn’t apply to REECA, I only applied to Yale and Georgetown (also UNC Chapel Hill, where I got accepted, and Indiana Bloomington), but still asked the question since these programs are always presented together on this forum.

Congratulations on the interview! How did it go? Did you apply to any other schools I mentioned? Have you heard back from them?

Edited by Kalatozov

Hi everyone! I could not find any related threads from this year so I’m just writing here.

Did you apply to these programs at Harvard (REECA), Yale (European and Russian Studies), Columbia (MARS-REERS), Georgetown (MAERES), and maybe elsewhere? Did anyone get notifications about interviews?

I did't apply to any other programs you mentioned - I applied to other schools, but broadly for international affairs. The interview was quite laid-back, she just asked a few questions from my application. I'm actually not sure whether they interview all applicants or whether this is some sort of a second round of selections.

Hope you hear back from your schools soon and best of luck with them!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 8:45 PM, ebd55 said:

I did't apply to any other programs you mentioned - I applied to other schools, but broadly for international affairs. The interview was quite laid-back, she just asked a few questions from my application. I'm actually not sure whether they interview all applicants or whether this is some sort of a second round of selections.

Hope you hear back from your schools soon and best of luck with them!

Hey ebd55, congrats on the interview! Have you heard back yet? I also had an interview but haven't heard anything since.

Edited by owo37

4 hours ago, owo37 said:

Hey ebd55, congrats on the interview! Have you heard back yet? I also had an interview but haven't heard anything since.

Hey! I've not heard anything, unfortunately. I'm assuming we'll know by the end of next week. When was your interview?

3 hours ago, owo37 said:

Got it! I hope so…mine was January 27, how about you?

Jan 31st! I hope we hear back soon. From what I understand official decisions come out the first week of March but it seems like it's common for the department to send out unofficial acceptance letters a week prior to that. Do you happen to know if they interview most applicants? 

48 minutes ago, ebd55 said:

Jan 31st! I hope we hear back soon. From what I understand official decisions come out the first week of March but it seems like it's common for the department to send out unofficial acceptance letters a week prior to that. Do you happen to know if they interview most applicants? 

Gotcha. Likewise! The uncertainty is killing me 😅 same here, that's what I've generally gathered from this thread. Re: interviews, I'm not quite sure, I've seen different takes throughout the thread so it's hard to say. Seems like there's usually more action around this week each year in the thread/on the results page, and I haven't yet seen anything, so maybe they haven't even sent out unofficial acceptance letters yet?

1 hour ago, owo37 said:

Gotcha. Likewise! The uncertainty is killing me 😅 same here, that's what I've generally gathered from this thread. Re: interviews, I'm not quite sure, I've seen different takes throughout the thread so it's hard to say. Seems like there's usually more action around this week each year in the thread/on the results page, and I haven't yet seen anything, so maybe they haven't even sent out unofficial acceptance letters yet?

I hope so! Do let me know if you receive any communication and best of luck!! 

Hey! I had a Harvard interview on January 27 and a Yale interview on February 27. Still waiting to hear back from both. I also applied at Georgetown but haven't heard anything about interviews. Any updates on your end?

45 minutes ago, owo37 said:

Hey! I had a Harvard interview on January 27 and a Yale interview on February 27. Still waiting to hear back from both. I also applied at Georgetown but haven't heard anything about interviews. Any updates on your end?

I did not receive an invitation to a Yale interview, I suppose it means they did not shortlist me. As I know, Georgetown does not have interviews for this program and they usually post results in March.

How did you get an invitation to a Yale interview? How did it go?

36 minutes ago, Kalatozov said:

I did not receive an invitation to a Yale interview, I suppose it means they did not shortlist me. As I know, Georgetown does not have interviews for this program and they usually post results in March.

How did you get an invitation to a Yale interview? How did it go?

Since it was only a few days ago, Yale may still be conducting interviews! I got an email from their Programs Coordinator/Registrar on Feb. 25. It was a bit more formal than the Harvard interview and twice as long - there were three faculty members interviewing me. I was actually surprised to get the email since it seems so late in the process, I'd just assumed I hadn't advanced. But overall, it went OK.

Have you heard back from any other schools yet?

6 minutes ago, owo37 said:

Since it was only a few days ago, Yale may still be conducting interviews! I got an email from their Programs Coordinator/Registrar on Feb. 25. It was a bit more formal than the Harvard interview and twice as long - there were three faculty members interviewing me. I was actually surprised to get the email since it seems so late in the process, I'd just assumed I hadn't advanced. But overall, it went OK.

I have been accepted to the similar program at IU Bloomington, also to Upitts MPIA and UNC Global Studies. Still waiting for Georgetown.

What about you?

48 minutes ago, owo37 said:

Edited by Asile78

10 minutes ago, Kalatozov said:

I have been accepted to the similar program at IU Bloomington, also to Upitts MPIA and UNC Global Studies. Still waiting for Georgetown.

What about you?

Congratulations, that's awesome! Have heard great things about IU. I've gotten into similar Russian/Eurasian studies MA programs at U of Michigan and George Washington University. Just waiting to hear back from Harvard, Yale, and Georgetown now. Which one are you leaning toward?

6 minutes ago, Asile78 said:

Which concentration did you choose? Western Europe or Russian? Because I didn't receive an invitation for a Yale interview, but i have the little hope that they interview just the candidates for the russian concentration. Do you happen to know if they interview most applicants? And did they tell you when are they releasing the results?

I chose the Russian and East Europe concentration, so that could absolutely be the case. Honestly, no idea how many they typically interview, and again, they may not be done quite yet! I was hoping to ask about the timeline re: results, but we ran out of time at the end of the interview. What other programs did you apply to?

30 minutes ago, owo37 said:

I chose the Russian and East Europe concentration, so that could absolutely be the case. Honestly, no idea how many they typically interview, and again, they may not be done quite yet! I was hoping to ask about the timeline re: results, but we ran out of time at the end of the interview. What other programs did you apply to?

Edited by Asile78

2 minutes ago, Asile78 said:

I got into Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, George Washington and Chicago. Still waiting for Harvard and Yale... 

Congrats, those are some stellar options! I assume you had a Harvard interview as well? And what program at Georgetown?

2 minutes ago, owo37 said:

Congrats, those are some stellar options! I assume you had a Harvard interview as well? And what program at Georgetown?

Or did you apply for a different program at Harvard (not REECA)?

2 minutes ago, Asile78 said:

No. No Harvard interview and no Yale interview. Not yet, so I suppose they did not shortlist me. Still have hope for Yale. Congratulations for your interviews, btw.

MAGES at Georgetown.

I could definitely see the West European concentration process being on a slightly different timeline. Since you've already gotten into those other (great) schools, I'd be really surprised if Yale didn't invite you to interview.

1 minute ago, owo37 said:

I could definitely see the West European concentration process being on a slightly different timeline. Since you've already gotten into those other (great) schools, I'd be really surprised if Yale didn't invite you to interview.

You are really kind!!! Thank you so much. Anyway, we will know it in a couple weeks, I hope. Good luck and let me know if you get in :)) How was your interview?