Russia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia Regional Studies MA Programs 2018

Doge

@Doge that’s great aid!

@JN53 thanks! Going to come down to $$ I think. Also honestly a bit worried about keeping up in one of these programs. The other results poster for REECA (maybe you?) has nine years work experience and two regional language, which is pretty amazing. Deff want to visit and get a feel for the faculty and programs. 

@JN53 Will do! Lol still nothing in my inbox and the portal hasn't updated either. And I think I'm probably gonna try to visit Austin and New Haven over spring break to check out the cities and if possible the programs.

@lawine  Yea I'm honestly surprised and really grateful! And lol yea when I saw the 9 years of experience plus 2 regional languages I was pretty intimidated too haha that's a hell of a profile!

Кстати, I just saw someone post that they got waitlisted today on the results section, didn't state their profile though. 

@Doge do you know what’s happening with Stanford? On the web portal, on the checklist page, it says that decisions will be sent by March 1st. I haven’t heard anything? Have you? Also, was offered a Skype interview by the Harriman yesterday (I’m In Moscow so +8hrs).

Long time lurker here, good to finally post.

@Procfev Congrats on getting the Harriman interview! I'm not sure about Stanford, but I was expecting it to be later as their deadline was later than the others. Looking at the past decision dates I'd say it'll probably be out within the next couple weeks...? 

So where else did you apply? And how's Moscow? I was there this time last year :D

@Procfev Stanford's decision just came out, check your email. Lol I didn't get in - I guess that makes my decision easier, either Yale, or UT Austin full ride. Unless I get into Georgetown and/or Columbia and they offer me $$

@Doge Oh strange… I definitely haven’t got any sort of email from Stanford. I’ll email them later. And in terms of where else, I have an offer from Oxford (did my undergrad there too). Moscow is great, I’m having a fantastic time at MGU. My Russian is really being put to use, which is great. I’m here until June!

@lawine Yeah, i’m interested to see! I think the fact that it’s a panel interview (as implied in email?) is a +

Oh my gosh! Congratulations everyone! You're all so amazing. :D 

I just heard from Georgetown, today, too. I'm in! But no word on financial aid, so it might not matter. XPPP 

I'm in a potential dilemma, as I'm also a finalist for an IT fellowship, which would necessitate me going somewhere other than the Georgetown program. But I decided early on to go where the money is, so if I get funded I'll be thankful and go wherever I have to go. I hope that means the Georgetown MAERES program, but we'll see. 

It's so cool hearing about all of your options and the things you've all been doing. Congratulations on all these opportunities and I hope we all get lots of funding offers!

@DogeWeirdly enough, my answer would normally be no because of distance, but I'm actually in DC that day doing an interview as a finalist for my fellowship... so if I somehow have time, I'd love to. I doubt I have time though, because it's an all day interview process. XPP

Congratulations on Columbia and UIUC! I told you you were going to smash it! <3 What are you thinking about/leaning towards? Do you have all your financial aid packages yet?

One of my concerns is that Georgetown probably gives out financial aid packages in their official letter off the site, and the fact that they don't mention funding at all in mine probably means I didn't get any funding. Otherwise they at least would have mentioned that they were sending them out later, you'd think... Or I think... Ahhhhh.

• 3 weeks later...

@mrs12 Thank you so much! :D I'm leaning towards Yale rn as they just offered me a 25k fellowship, so it's pretty hard to say no to. Lol I'm guessing someone turned them down for Harvard or Stanford (thanks to whoever that was!) Columbia and Georgetown didn't give me anything so it'll be really expensive, but I'm still gonna go check them out at the open houses. Maybe I'll see you there! (at Georgetown) 

Sorry for the late reply btw, its been kinda hectic! I'm at the Midwest Slavic Conference rn at OSU, it's a really great event!

@Doge I hate to say this, but I'm secretly glad you didn't get funding from Georgetown, either, in a horrible way. Because you're amazing, and I was starting to psyche myself out over the funding scenario there, and that it was some sign about my capabilities. This argument is rendered inert after hearing from you though, so, thanks? (and sorry!)

Seriously, though, Yale? You'll do great there! And I'd assume that amount of funding means they really really want you, so that's a good thing to know/have in your pocket if you ever get worried. 

Enjoy your conference, and I hope I do get to see you at Georgetown!

@mrs12 Haha no worries! And I'm guessing I wasn't their first choice as they only notified me of the Fellowship a few weeks ago, presumably after someone else turned them down lol. But yea good luck on your interview, I'm sure you'll get the fellowship! :) 

• 3 years later...

Hey guys!

It is a bit old convo, but I'll try my luck. Applied to MA REECA for Fall 22 call. Could you please share your experience, when are they sending out interview invitations and final decisions? any other tips will be more than appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Lerryk6 said:

Hey guys!

It is a bit old convo, but I'll try my luck. Applied to MA REECA for Fall 22 call. Could you please share your experience, when are they sending out interview invitations and final decisions? any other tips will be more than appreciated!

Glad I found this thread. I also applied to REECA for Fall '22. Submitted my application really early back in NOV.