Low undergrad GPA but high MPH GPA

PublicHealth18

I've been thinking about applying to PhD programs but my undergrad GPA still haunts me. I graduated with a whopping 2.8. I honestly don't have a good excuse other than the fact that I wasn't focused and didn't really figure out what I was truly passionate about until the end of my junior year. Luckily, I was able to get into a respectable MPH program and graduated that with a 3.8 GPA. I worked in health services research as a research coordinator throughout my MPH, and I currently work in health policy research at a top consulting firm. My GREs were decent (158 Q, 152 V) but I could retake those if needed. I have a decent amount of publications under my name as well.

I'm looking into DrPH and PhD programs both...I'm still undecided. I would like to go into Health Policy and some of the schools I have looked at include GW, UMD, and Hopkins (which is probably way out of my reach but worth trying...?). Am I completely unrealistic for thinking I even have a shot due to my low undergrad GPA?

7 minutes ago, PublicHealth18 said:

I've been thinking about applying to PhD programs but my undergrad GPA still haunts me. I graduated with a whopping 2.8. I honestly don't have a good excuse other than the fact that I wasn't focused and didn't really figure out what I was truly passionate about until the end of my junior year. Luckily, I was able to get into a respectable MPH program and graduated that with a 3.8 GPA. I worked in health services research as a research coordinator throughout my MPH, and I currently work in health policy research at a top consulting firm. My GREs were decent (158 Q, 152 V) but I could retake those if needed. I have a decent amount of publications under my name as well.

I'm looking into DrPH and PhD programs both...I'm still undecided. I would like to go into Health Policy and some of the schools I have looked at include GW, UMD, and Hopkins (which is probably way out of my reach but worth trying...?). Am I completely unrealistic for thinking I even have a shot due to my low undergrad GPA?

I have pretty much the same.story as you. I am currently awaiting to hear back from UMD. 

One piece of advice I can give you is, contact professors at those schools, attend their open houses and events (open to the public),make sure they know you and your face/name. That's what I've been doing. I attended UMDs open house, talked to as many students and faculty there, attended their 10th anniversary reception at apha in Atlanta, met more students and more faculty in Atlanta,.contacted a faculty with similar interests (and she happens to come from the city I'm at right now and her parents still love here), and have kept in contact with 2 current PhD students in the department of applied to and in a different department. Just try to make those connections. I'm not saying it works, since idk yet if I'm even getting an interview, but it can't possibly be a bad thing to do. 

Do you have your own research or been first author for anything? That was one of the questions the faculty asked-luckily I'm working on my own research right now and was able to tell them a little bit about it. They even asked to share results with them. 

So just make those connections and start early.

Hi. I wanted to ask which university u picked up for mph. And does your mph concentration which I assume , is health policy, provides you greater number of job opportunities. I am an international medical graduate, and discovering my options for mph. Any sort of relevant info would be appreciated. Thanks