Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

38 minutes ago, sjbarton93 said:

Hey Yall! Im new to this forum but I wanted to add my own notes, I just got off the phone with the admissions office and they told me that in two weeks I should know if im accepted or not. I applied the Feb. 15th deadline. so honestly I think they are just telling everyone 2 weeks even if you were priority or not

Thanks for letting us know! I also applied on the deadline (at like 11 pm, no less) and had resigned myself to not hearing back until like mid-April, lol.

I just called again. They said by the end of next week....“hopefully”. Not giving up on them but it’s important for me since I’m an advanced standing student and would have to make my summer available for the program. I applied 12/2 and was considered “priority”. 

Has anyone been rejected yet??? Someone please disclose (if you’re comfortable). We know that you will be valuable in any MSW program. We just want to know if they’ve sent rejections yet! ?? 

Lastly, am I crazy or am I the only Advanced General Practice & Programming applicant here? I don’t think they go by concentration but I’m curious to know if anyone in my concentration received a decision. My reach school UC Berkeley already waitlisted me so I’d be shocked to get denied by Columbia at this point.

Yikes, I’m venting again. I think I’m going to take a break from this starting this weekend ? thanks for being a great online support group!

6 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

I just called again. They said by the end of next week....“hopefully”. Not giving up on them but it’s important for me since I’m an advanced standing student and would have to make my summer available for the program. I applied 12/2 and was considered “priority”. 

Has anyone been rejected yet??? Someone please disclose (if you’re comfortable). We know that you will be valuable in any MSW program. We just want to know if they’ve sent rejections yet! ?? 

Lastly, am I crazy or am I the only Advanced General Practice & Programming applicant here? I don’t think they go by concentration but I’m curious to know if anyone in my concentration received a decision. My reach school UC Berkeley already waitlisted me so I’d be shocked to get denied by Columbia at this point.

Yikes, I’m venting again. I think I’m going to take a break from this starting this weekend ? thanks for being a great online support group!

My guess is that they haven't because I'm 98% certain I'm going to be rejected, but who knows. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

10 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

If what they told me was true when i called... she said rejections have been sent out and they are going based on concentration and date of submission. I also applied priority on 11/30 for advanced standing but for clinical practice and still have not heard....  im really hoping by today or tomorrow. :( 

6 minutes ago, abswk said:

If what they told me was true when i called... she said rejections have been sent out and they are going based on concentration and date of submission. I also applied priority on 11/30 for advanced standing but for clinical practice and still have not heard....  im really hoping by today or tomorrow. :( 

That's interesting. Was she able to give an estimate of when you would hear back by?

I had called I believe two weeks ago (maybe 3) at this point and she had said within 2-3 weeks all priority applicants would hear. She assured me no responses have gone out based on application stength. Only based on date of submission and concentration. So don’t lose hope! 

4 minutes ago, abswk said:

I had called I believe two weeks ago (maybe 3) at this point and she had said within 2-3 weeks all priority applicants would hear. She assured me no responses have gone out based on application stength. Only based on date of submission and concentration. So don’t lose hope! 

Gotcha. I mean, I didn't have much hope to begin with (I lack experience and my essays were only so-so), but they gave me a fee waiver for attending a grad fair that they hosted, so I figured I might as well. I'm rooting for everyone here though!

On 3/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, abswk said:

I called and the representative was very helpful, I asked a lot of questions... she said that all responses are going out in order of program and submission date. She said if people have been hearing back and you submitted before them, they did not apply for same program as you. Online and 2 year programs have heard back the most. Advanced standing has most batches to work through. She said all decisions have been sent out by date and program order and has nothing to do with strength of application. She said 2-3 more weeks for everyone to hear back from all programs. 

I’m bumping this post up bc i needed to reassure myself lol. 

There was someone who posted here that they were online clinical two-year. She applied 2/14 and already heard back that they were wait-listed. I don't know if the system is automatic in that regards or they are at that point that they are running out of room for certain programs. I'm freaking out and want to call on my behalf because I don't see any other online two year clinical folks. I applied 12/1.

10 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

There was someone who posted here that they were online clinical two-year. She applied 2/14 and already heard back that they were wait-listed. I don't know if the system is automatic in that regards or they are at that point that they are running out of room for certain programs. I'm freaking out and want to call on my behalf because I don't see any other online two year clinical folks. I applied 12/1.

I was told online and 2 yr programs have heard the most... i would call 

11 minutes ago, abswk said:

I was told online and 2 yr programs have heard the most... i would call 

I saw that too, but I swear I don't see any clinical people really. I'll probably try to call today if I have time from work.

27 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I saw the same post you are talking about of the person who was waitlisted...so maybe they aren’t doing it by date applied? Eek. ??‍♀️

Hi guys! I've been following this thread since early Feb., but only decided to make an account now - because I'm dying over here! I submitted my application on Jan. 17 for the for 2-year traditional program with a concentration in clinical practice. I'm considering walking over to CUSSW's admissions office and asking about application statuses in person - is this inappropriate? I have no gauge. Appreciate anyone's input... hope everyone's staying warm!

Edited by KJS94

OK i called again....lol..... she said they cant give any details other than they are working through priority applicants and to be safe she said we will hear within 2 weeks. No use in calling anymore... we must practice patience! (easier said than done!) 

4 minutes ago, KJS94 said:

Hi guys! I've been following this thread since early Feb., but only decided to make an account now - because I'm dying over here! I submitted my application on Jan. 17 for the for 2-year traditional program with a concentration in clinical practice. As I'm currently doing a psych postbacc at Columbia now, I'm considering walking over to CUSSW's admissions office and asking about application statuses in person - is this inappropriate? I have no gauge. Appreciate anyone's input... hope everyone's staying warm!

maybe in person would get more info? probably unlikely since they have to give the same generic answer to everyone to cover all their bases... but still worth a try! take one for the team! lol thank you! 

41 minutes ago, KJS94 said:

Hi guys! I've been following this thread since early Feb., but only decided to make an account now - because I'm dying over here! I submitted my application on Jan. 17 for the for 2-year traditional program with a concentration in clinical practice. As I'm currently doing a psych postbacc at Columbia now, I'm considering walking over to CUSSW's admissions office and asking about application statuses in person - is this inappropriate? I have no gauge. Appreciate anyone's input... hope everyone's staying warm!

I don't know if I would do that... it might come off as a little pushy. But obviously it's up to you, if you think you can do so with finesse, more power to you. I just know it would end in disaster if I tried it, lol.

13 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I was told two weeks as well. I was told that they received a lot of applicants and that their system went a little haywire this year. She said that people are just in certain batches at this point versus hearing back that they applied before me. I asked a follow up it sounds like bad news and she said not necessarily, I just happen to be unlucky and in a batch that hasn't been seen yet.

So take that as you will lol

Very interesting - did she give any explanation as to why it went haywire?

4 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I didn't ask lol

I'm hoping that it is what it is at this point.

To be fair, results were coming out throughout March last year so it might still be normal. It was just a strange conversation because I was just unlucky to be in a batch that hasn't been seen yet. I mean does that impact if I get in or not due to people who applied after me being in the lucky batch to be seen first? (I wanted to ask, but I don't want come off rude) I'm assuming that probably isn't the case, but based on what I've seen around here people are hearing back who applied after other people. So I don't know what to think, because my program is clinical online and I have yet to see anybody really. So maybe what she stated is 100% accurate for my program?

Yeah, that seems like a super odd way and not really fair way of doing things imho. It may depend on program but I still think you should have heard back sooner than people who applied after you since you made the effort to apply by the priority deadline.

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, that seems like a super odd way and not really fair way of doing things imho. It may depend on program but I still think you should have heard back sooner than people who applied after you since you made the effort to apply by the priority deadline.

Well, maybe it will be along the lines that I'll still be considered first but I won't necessarily hear first. I've only seen one online clinical person hear back (here anyways unless others aren't disclosing and of course, gradcafe=all applicants) and they were waitlisted. They applied 2/14. So maybe all is well and we are trying to figure something out that is happening okay behind the scenes.

I couldn't help but to peak and now I wish I hadn't lol. Why have a priority deadline when they weren't even going to review applications in the order they were received? That makes no sense.

11 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Well, maybe it will be along the lines that I'll still be considered first but I won't necessarily hear first. I've only seen one online clinical person hear back (here anyways unless others aren't disclosing and of course, gradcafe=all applicants) and they were waitlisted. They applied 2/14. So maybe all is well and we are trying to figure something out that is happening okay behind the scenes.

It's certainly possible. Well, my hat's off to you... you're much more patient that I would be if I was in your shoes, that's for sure. Are you waiting to hear back from anywhere else, or just Columbia?

7 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I couldn't help but to peak and now I wish I hadn't lol. Why have a priority deadline when they weren't even going to review applications in the order they were received? That makes no sense.

I agree! I think priority applicant should mean that you are the priority... lol.

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I agree! I think priority applicant should mean that you are the priority... lol.

Exactly! I mean to just put everyone's applications into piles in no particular order just seems...weird. Why would they even admit to that?

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Exactly! I mean to just put everyone's applications into piles in no particular order just seems...weird. Why would they even admit to that?

I agree! I think they are feeling the pressure to give out some kind of explanation, but the one they're providing just makes them seem super disorganized. Maybe I'm wrong and it makes sense behind the scenes, but at this point, I kinda doubt it.