Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

1 hour ago, patientlywaiting2 said:

I GOT IN! I never received an email saying my status has been changed so id recommend checking the portal! Good luck yall 

What does your portal look like? I want to make sure I am actually looking at the correct thing. Is it it where it basically shows your application status and a green check next to everything that is in? 

47 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Would anyone that was recently accepted mind sharing some stats? 

Sure, I'm coming straight out of undergrad. GPA: 3.81 at UNC Chapel Hill, GRE 158Q & 159V, volunteer experience at a nonprofit mental health organization, two and a half years of psych research in clinical and cognitive labs

4 minutes ago, rosieposie said:

Sure, I'm coming straight out of undergrad. GPA: 3.81 at UNC Chapel Hill, GRE 158Q & 159V, volunteer experience at a nonprofit mental health organization, two and a half years of psych research in clinical and cognitive labs

Wow, very impressive! Thank you for responding.

1 hour ago, lanabeni said:

Thank you!

2 year clinical program in health, mental health, and disabilities. Online.

Could I implore you to post some stats, if you're comfortable with that? Despite my best efforts I am panicking hardcore, lol.

11 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Could I implore you to post some stats, if you're comfortable with that? Despite my best efforts I am panicking hardcore, lol.

I earned an A.S. in 2013.  I graduated with two bachelors in fall 2017. One was a B.A. in psych and the other was a B.S. in an unrelated field. My cumulative GPA was probably 3.8ish, but when I transferred for my bachelor degrees I graduated with a 4.0 for those. At the time of my application I volunteered on a crisis text line for 6 months, at-risk youth for 1.5 years, and worked full-time in a residential treatment facility for 6 months. I felt my "stand out" in my application was my heavy research experience though. I've been involved for 2 years and had a publication and presented posters at a few conferences. Lastly, I'm also a veteran and incorporated those experiences in my statements.

Edited by lanabeni

6 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I graduated with two bachelors in fall 2017. One was a B.A. in psych and the other was a B.S. in an unrelated field. My cumulative GPA was probably 3.8ish, but when I transferred for my bachelor degrees I graduated with a 4.0 for those. At the time of my application I volunteered on a crisis text line for 6 months, at-risk youth for 1.5 years, and worked full-time in a residential treatment facility for 6 months. I felt my "stand out" in my application was my heavy research experience though. I've been involved for 2 years and had a publication and presented posters at a few conferences. Lastly, I'm a veteran and incorporated those experiences in my statements.

Wow, okay. And you were worried you wouldn’t get in? ?

Sidebar: I volunteered with Crisis Text Line for a few months and really didn’t like it. I felt really restricted in the way that you have to respond to texters, it just felt very inorganic - I am curious to know if you had a similar experience at all?

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Wow, okay. And you were worried you wouldn’t get in? ?

Sidebar: I volunteered with Crisis Text Line for a few months and really didn’t like it. I felt really restricted in the way that you have to respond to texters, it just felt very inorganic - I am curious to know if you had a similar experience at all?

These are new experiences for me, so I honestly didn't know what to expect. I didn't do well in high school and dropped out of college to join the military, so I applied slightly older at 28.

Honestly, I love crisis text line. I can understand the restricted way to talk to texters, but there is some room to give it a personal touch. They have specific ways to talk to high risk people and I just utilize those. I always hit up the supervisor for advice when I'm stumped with a texter and they are always super helpful.

15 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

These are new experiences for me, so I honestly didn't know what to expect. I didn't do well in high school and dropped out of college to join the military, so I applied slightly older at 28.

Honestly, I love crisis text line. I can understand the restricted way to talk to texters, but there is some room to give it a personal touch. They have specific ways to talk to high risk people and I just utilize those. I always hit up the supervisor for advice when I'm stumped with a texter and they are always super helpful.

Gotcha. Well, maybe it just wasn't for me. I was also really depressed when I tried to volunteer with them so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

9 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha. Well, maybe it just wasn't for me. I was also really depressed when I tried to volunteer with them so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

Hey give it another shot when you're in a better place. They are pretty cool with you taking a break or needing to do other stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

THIS WAIT IS OFFICIALLY KILLING ME. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN TAKE IT????

Your wait has been truly absurd - almost four months, right?! Regardless, I'm so sorry.

Edited by doctormelody