Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

13 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

For those awaiting financial aid, I got an email today that was following up with me on my FAFSA (I guess they couldn't find it). I sent confirmation to them and they said they would send me my letter by early next week at the latest. 

I got the same email that they were missing my FAFSA (they weren't) and that they "hope to have the situation resolved shortly and to be able to email your financial aid award letter early next week." -______-

1 hour ago, o___livia said:

I got the same email that they were missing my FAFSA (they weren't) and that they "hope to have the situation resolved shortly and to be able to email your financial aid award letter early next week." -______-

I got this email as well and they responded with the exact same thing. Another friend of mine received his financial aid package yesterday and called me today, livid. He said he only received $5000 with no work-study. As out of state students, this package makes it difficult for us to consider moving to New York and attending Columbia. 

Side note, I was able to visit Columbia this past Sunday and Monday and speak to the folks in admissions. I have also been speaking to student ambassadors through the Admitted Students page. I'm happy to answer any questions that folks might have about my general impressions of the student body as well as the school in general. 

37 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

I got this email as well and they responded with the exact same thing. Another friend of mine received his financial aid package yesterday and called me today, livid. He said he only received $5000 with no work-study. As out of state students, this package makes it difficult for us to consider moving to New York and attending Columbia. 

Side note, I was able to visit Columbia this past Sunday and Monday and speak to the folks in admissions. I have also been speaking to student ambassadors through the Admitted Students page. I'm happy to answer any questions that folks might have about my general impressions of the student body as well as the school in general. 

What was the overall vibe that you got during your visit? I've always wanted to go to Columbia but never really thought of it as a true option for me until grad school, so I haven't been there yet.

3 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

What was the overall vibe that you got during your visit? I've always wanted to go to Columbia but never really thought of it as a true option for me until grad school, so I haven't been there yet.

Hi there! 

I had very mixed feelings during and after my visit and would be happy to expand more privately if you message me. Just as a quick overview though--

I would say the general vibe of the school is very grounded in tradition and very Ivy League. So tree-lined walkways on campus, historic buildings, neatly trimmed shrubbery everywhere. You definitely get a college campus vibe from being at Columbia in comparison to schools such as NYU which aren't gated campuses and place you right in the middle of NYC. This could be a pro or con depending on who you are. For me, I wasn't sure I wanted to be so isolated and not so enmeshed with the everyday parts of New York.

The facilities were nice--they have a grad student cafe that only grad students are allowed to access. The Social Work building itself was well-maintained as well. It's not actually on the main campus and you have to walk about two blocks further up to get there. You need to sign in as a visitor if you don't have a CU ID and take the elevator to the 5th floor for the Admissions Office. I was given a brochure for the MSW program and a pamphlet for a self-guided tour of Columbia. The woman I spoke to at the front desk was so kind and sweet and she said there was a possibility I could speak to an Admissions Counselor even though Mondays aren't drop-in hours. I had to explore the building myself--they have an entire library within the building as well as a cafe for students to grab snacks from vending machines and study. The floors with classrooms were nice and each classroom floor had a small kitchenette where you can store food in a fridge and heat food up in the microwave. I also peeked into some classrooms but most were locked. As I headed back to the Admissions Office, I actually ran into an admissions officer giving a small tour to a prospective applicant. I asked to join and they were okay with it. The admissions officer basically showed me the entire building again but also pointed out that Columbia actually hires actors for roleplaying scenarios, and you can record yourself engaging with these actors to practice and reflect on your work afterwards. There's also a quiet room for meditation/prayer/etc... for the students who need it. Afterwards, I was able to speak to the Admissions Counselor, but to be frank, I was a bit put off by him. He was very blase and gave me a bit of attitude.

35 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

Hi there! 

I had very mixed feelings during and after my visit and would be happy to expand more privately if you message me. Just as a quick overview though--

I would say the general vibe of the school is very grounded in tradition and very Ivy League. So tree-lined walkways on campus, historic buildings, neatly trimmed shrubbery everywhere. You definitely get a college campus vibe from being at Columbia in comparison to schools such as NYU which aren't gated campuses and place you right in the middle of NYC. This could be a pro or con depending on who you are. For me, I wasn't sure I wanted to be so isolated and not so enmeshed with the everyday parts of New York.

The facilities were nice--they have a grad student cafe that only grad students are allowed to access. The Social Work building itself was well-maintained as well. It's not actually on the main campus and you have to walk about two blocks further up to get there. You need to sign in as a visitor if you don't have a CU ID and take the elevator to the 5th floor for the Admissions Office. I was given a brochure for the MSW program and a pamphlet for a self-guided tour of Columbia. The woman I spoke to at the front desk was so kind and sweet and she said there was a possibility I could speak to an Admissions Counselor even though Mondays aren't drop-in hours. I had to explore the building myself--they have an entire library within the building as well as a cafe for students to grab snacks from vending machines and study. The floors with classrooms were nice and each classroom floor had a small kitchenette where you can store food in a fridge and heat food up in the microwave. I also peeked into some classrooms but most were locked. As I headed back to the Admissions Office, I actually ran into an admissions officer giving a small tour to a prospective applicant. I asked to join and they were okay with it. The admissions officer basically showed me the entire building again but also pointed out that Columbia actually hires actors for roleplaying scenarios, and you can record yourself engaging with these actors to practice and reflect on your work afterwards. There's also a quiet room for meditation/prayer/etc... for the students who need it. Afterwards, I was able to speak to the Admissions Counselor, but to be frank, I was a bit put off by him. He was very blase and gave me a bit of attitude.

Thank you so much! That was helpful!

11 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Aw, I think that’s a lost cause, but thank you. I’m still rooting for you as well!

I wouldn't say it's a lost cause! Because at this point I don't think anyone knows where their heads are at. And we haven't heard from any rejections so we can't compare our stats to theirs and get an idea. It could go either way at this point.

I have been looking at this forum for a while and just heard back! I got waitlisted! I’m still in undergrad now at UConn and my gpa is 3.4. Congratulations on everyone who got in! :)   I got into NYU so that’s definitely my top choice now. Good luck to everyone still waiting so hear back! 

Edited by lulu2018

45 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

@doctormelody Where else did you apply?

Tulane, Simmons, BU, BC, and Columbia. I got into Tulane and Simmons, but I got rejected from BU earlier this month so that's why (in addition to my lack of experience) I'm not super hopeful about BC or Columbia. 

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Tulane, Simmons, BU, BC, and Columbia. I got into Tulane and Simmons, but I got rejected from BU earlier this month so that's why (in addition to my lack of experience) I'm not super hopeful about BC or Columbia. 

Well at least you have other schools! I would remain positive about the wait but don't let it jeopardize other opportunities. 

15 minutes ago, lulu2018 said:

I have been looking at this forum for a while and just heard back! I got waitlisted! I’m still in undergrad now at UConn and my gpa is 3.4. Congratulations on everyone who got in! :)   I got into NYU so that’s definitely my top choice now. Good luck to everyone still waiting so hear back! 

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? We've been trying to figure out their decision process and if they gave out all acceptances for now. And congrats on NYU!

13 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Well at least you have other schools! I would remain positive about the wait but don't let it jeopardize other opportunities. 

Yeah, although I got less than optimal financial aid from Tulane and possibly nothing from Simmons :unsure: so I might have to reapply to MSW programs again next year. I wish I had applied to more this year, but there's not much I can do about it now since financial aid (or lack thereof) is such a big issue for me. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though. 

Edited by doctormelody

10 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, although I got less than optimal financial aid from Tulane and possibly nothing from Simmons :unsure: so I might have to reapply to MSW programs again next year. I wish I had applied to more this year, but there's not much I can do about it now since financial aid (or lack thereof) is such a big issue for me. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though. 

If you are going to reapply next year, look into doing City Year or another AmeriCorp program, they will offer more scholarship opportunities! There are options for summer, one year, or two year. Will attend Columbia even if they scholarship is not much?

6 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

If you are going to reapply next year, look into doing City Year or another AmeriCorp program, they will offer more scholarship opportunities! There are options for summer, one year, or two year. Will attend Columbia even if they scholarship is not much?

That's a good idea! I probably wouldn't attend even if by some miracle I got in, my partner really doesn't want to live in NYC and Columbia is terrifyingly expensive, but they gave me a fee waiver for the application because I attended a grad fair they hosted, so I figured why not try.