Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

9 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

I have until April 13th to let Fordham know... I suppose I can ask for an extension... but dang, the relief! 

I know the feeling. I felt the same way about Simmons until I realized they didn’t offer me any merit aid. ?

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I know the feeling. I felt the same way about Simmons until I realized they didn’t offer me any merit aid. ?

So, I’m unsure of how old you are. I’m 37. There’s some things I can promise you.

There will never be enough money. There will never be enough time. 

Hard work and sacrifice do not always reap rewards.

Life never goes according to plan. There will always be curve balls. Some of them will be awful.

You only get one life. Make it the life you want to live, not the one you exist in.

My dreams have been on hold for 14 years. I’m going to pay through the nose to get the education, career, and city I want. But I suspect it’s going to be very sweet once I get there.

4 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

So, I’m unsure of how old you are. I’m 37. There’s some things I can promise you.

There will never be enough money. There will never be enough time. 

Hard work and sacrifice do not always reap rewards.

Life never goes according to plan. There will always be curve balls. Some of them will be awful.

You only get one life. Make it the life you want to live, not the one you exist in.

My dreams have been on hold for 14 years. I’m going to pay through the nose to get the education, career, and city I want. But I suspect it’s going to be very sweet once I get there.

I'm almost 25. Thank you. This was very inspiring to me. I hope you achieve all your dreams and then some.

For those of you planning to go to school in NYC, where are you planning to live?

I've lived in Elmhurst, Queens and Brooklyn before but the outer boroughs seem so far from Columbia's campus. I also have a dog, so I feel like I can't really have roommates, and the (pet friendly) housing that I'm seeing near Columbia is like... $2k+ a month for a studio/1BR which is more than 3x what I pay now and I'm freaking out about it...

I just got an email from Columbia about an event (I guess I'm on their mailing list) and almost had a heart attack, lol. Anyone else

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

They just sent me an email about some forum and my heart jumped. Why would they tease me like that???

I'm leaving this text here so you can see that I was about to post the exact same thing, lmao. WHY ARE THEY TORTURING US?

14 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I just got an email from Columbia about an event (I guess I'm on their mailing list) and almost had a heart attack, lol. Anyone else

I'm leaving this text here so you can see that I was about to post the exact same thing, lmao. WHY ARE THEY TORTURING US?

I was so mad when I saw it was just about an event. Smh

22 minutes ago, bustelo4lyfe said:

SAME

Are they not sending out any acceptances this week because of spring break or something?

I hope they do. I think someone heard back this week. And they told me I would know by the end of the week. Although they've been telling people that since January...

3 hours ago, doctormelody said:

I'm almost 25. Thank you. This was very inspiring to me. I hope you achieve all your dreams and then some.

Anytime! I am the board’s self-appointed cheerleader, mood-picker-upper, and crazy lady who tells you to hang on & chase dreams. 

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Lmfaoooo

They need it though! I literally told them I needed to know by today and it's looking like I won't be hearing anything. I checked the portal and it still just says submitted so I think they gave me the runaround as usual.

6 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

They need it though! I literally told them I needed to know by today and it's looking like I won't be hearing anything. I checked the portal and it still just says submitted so I think they gave me the runaround as usual.

No, I know. I would call them, honestly. I don't see how it could hurt. 

3 hours ago, o___livia said:

For those of you planning to go to school in NYC, where are you planning to live?

I've lived in Elmhurst, Queens and Brooklyn before but the outer boroughs seem so far from Columbia's campus. I also have a dog, so I feel like I can't really have roommates, and the (pet friendly) housing that I'm seeing near Columbia is like... $2k+ a month for a studio/1BR which is more than 3x what I pay now and I'm freaking out about it...

I’m moving to NYC!! I think I’m going to apply to the dorms. :( lots of money. But safer and closest. I’m coming from Los Angeles so I don’t have the option to go check out places before paying! 

17 hours ago, Olivia95 said:

I applied 12/15. Columbia must have a pretty intricate system of how they are getting back to students. They probably clump each application based on concentration, method, and length of program. If you really think about it, that is a lot of combinations to sort through and decide candidacy based on all applicant's qualifications in comparison to each others per group combo...does that make any sense? haha but yeah, thats what I am thinking. I am also thinking I'm the last one who hasn't heard back still that applied in December. I applied advanced standing, SEA, school-linked school-based services. 

Hi! I’m advanced standing for the Advanced General Practice and programming!! I applied 12/2 so I’m really hoping to get something like today :( or tomorrow haha. THEIR SYSTEM IS INTRICATE. I don’t get why they would do it like that. But anywho, I’m in the same ballpark as you!

26 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

OMG call them. It can’t hurt. Have you signed in to the portal just in case?

4 hours ago, o___livia said:

I def can’t do campus housing b/c I have a cat. I really love the vibes in Astoria/Long Island City... it’s a commute, but the $$$ is so much less.

next board: people all across the country trying to find places to live  and roommates!

Edited by Chebrutta

17 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

OMG call them. It can’t hurt. Have you signed in to the portal just in case?

I signed in about an hour ago and it still said submitted. I'm kind of afraid to call because I already sent two emails and the person who responded seemed kind of snippy because I said I needed to know by a specific date.

5 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Anyone else praying to hear back in 30 minutes? Lol WISHING US ALL THE BEST.

YES and same. Although I checked the portal like 15 minutes ago and there was nothing new... lol.

5 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I signed in about an hour ago and it still said submitted. I'm kind of afraid to call because I already sent two emails and the person who responded seemed kind of snippy because I said I needed to know by a specific date.

Man, that sucks! They have to know people have deadlines to respond to other schools. And if they promised to let you know by today, then they should freaking keep their word!

9 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

YES and same. Although I checked the portal like 15 minutes ago and there was nothing new... lol.

Man, that sucks! They have to know people have deadlines to respond to other schools. And if they promised to let you know by today, then they should freaking keep their word!

Well technically she said "the 10 next days" which would be Saturday...which is after when I told them. But then I don't know if that means 10 straight days or 10 business days because they don't work on the weekend?

It’s best to just check between 5 and 6PM EST. I think they set that as the time to send a batch. Check your emails and the portal over the next hour/hour and a half. If there’s no changes, we do the same tomorrow lol