University of Pittsburgh MSW

I was just about to start a topic like this! (Although I haven't been admitted yet.)

I applied right before the 12/31 deadline, and I have a GPA higher than 3.4 (i.e., the threshold described on the school webpage for priority admission and scholarship consideration), so I am crossing my fingers for an acceptance.  I see from the Results page that at least one other 12/31 applicant has already heard back.

Who else has heard, or is waiting to hear?  And to echo what TooExcited said, I would love to hear any insights about typical funding! Based on threads from previous years, it sounds like some people receive as much as $5-9k per semester, but I have no idea what is typical.

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I know we typically will not hear back about funding until mid-Feb.

I have a feeling the next three or four weeks will pass very slowly! ;)

I'm seeing all sorts of information on merit funding in previous threads.  Some people reported receiving $7k/year, and others up to $18k/year.  For those who are admitted through the priority application deadline and criteria (i.e., apply by 12/31 with 3.4+ GPA), I wonder if there is a floor for how much merit aid one will receive.  So far $7k/year is the lowest number I have seen, but the sample size (just a handful of people on this website) is extremely small.

14 minutes ago, atomizer said:

I have a feeling the next three or four weeks will pass very slowly! ;)

I'm seeing all sorts of information on merit funding in previous threads.  Some people reported receiving $7k/year, and others up to $18k/year.  For those who are admitted through the priority application deadline and criteria (i.e., apply by 12/31 with 3.4+ GPA), I wonder if there is a floor for how much merit aid one will receive.  So far $7k/year is the lowest number I have seen, but the sample size (just a handful of people on this website) is extremely small.

It'll definitely be slow. Has anyone visited UPitt?

5 hours ago, atomizer said:

Is this the same website that we used to submit our application in the first place? Or something different? Because when I log in, all I see is information re: my application being submitted and complete. Nothing about any decision (yet).

Yep, after logging in, at the bottom of the "My Applications" page, there is a link that says "Your application is now available online." 

Applied 12/3, got acceptance letter 1/5 in the mail. Will receive scholarship letter mid Feb. When I emailed the SSW last fall, they gave me the average range 6k-12k a year. Not sure how it is now.

17 minutes ago, MSWFall18 said:

Applied 12/3, got acceptance letter 1/5 in the mail. Will receive scholarship letter mid Feb. When I emailed the SSW last fall, they gave me the average range 6k-12k a year. Not sure how it is now.

Thanks for sharing! So when you say "average range 6k-12k a year," I assume you mean that is the (reported, according to SSW last fall) average scholarship for 3.4+ GPA students who apply by the priority deadline?

6 hours ago, atomizer said:

Thanks for sharing! So when you say "average range 6k-12k a year," I assume you mean that is the (reported, according to SSW last fall) average scholarship for 3.4+ GPA students who apply by the priority deadline?

Yes!! Wish it was more though haha

I applied 12/29 and have yet to hear back.

I got an email confirming that I submitted the application, but online it says "Incomplete." I thought this was because there is the transcript glitch on my homepage (where it lists my undergrad twice, one says received, the other says not received). Does anyone else have this? All my references, personal statement, resume, etc. were submitted but now I'm getting worried since people have heard back.

2 minutes ago, cag1229 said:

I applied 12/29 and have yet to hear back.

I got an email confirming that I submitted the application, but online it says "Incomplete." I thought this was because there is the transcript glitch on my homepage (where it lists my undergrad twice, one says received, the other says not received). Does anyone else have this? All my references, personal statement, resume, etc. were submitted but now I'm getting worried since people have heard back.

I would give them a call.  I've spoken with folks in the admission office before and they are very, very friendly.  I think this is worth calling about, especially because it sounds like you already submitted everything you needed to submit.  I had something similar right after I applied (it showed duplicate transcripts, with some saying "not received" although they had been sent weeks earlier), but that disappeared and it now says "Complete" for me.

25 minutes ago, atomizer said:

And because I can't stop spamming this thread:  For the people who have already received online acceptances through the portal, how much later did you receive your snail mail acceptance?

My acceptance was on the portal a week ago, and the letter attached there said I should expect a letter via snail mail within the next few days. Still have yet to receive anything.

29 minutes ago, atomizer said:

And because I can't stop spamming this thread:  For the people who have already received online acceptances through the portal, how much later did you receive your snail mail acceptance?

I think I got my letter like a week or two later. It was really slow. 

Hi all!

I got my letter in the mail yesterday, which was surprising as I hadn't yet received an acceptance on the online portal. I also had a 3.4+ GPA and applied before the 12/31 deadline.

Edit: Now that I've been accepted, I'm still struggling to find the acceptance notification online? Any idea why?

Edited by mkern2

36 minutes ago, mkern2 said:

Hi all!

I got my letter in the mail yesterday, which was surprising as I hadn't yet received an acceptance on the online portal. I also had a 3.4+ GPA and applied before the 12/31 deadline.

Edit: Now that I've been accepted, I'm still struggling to find the acceptance notification online? Any idea why?

Congratulations!!! That gives me hope that I might see a letter in the coming week although my online accounts still say nothing.

1. How soon before 12/31 did you apply?

2. Interesting that you cannot find your acceptance online.  I'm finding the online systems a bit confusing.  According to my "ApplyYourself" page (i.e., the page used to create and submit my application), my application was submitted on 12/31 and was "completed" days earlier.  It also lists all of my transcripts and letters as being received.  But then according to my UPitt "applicant account" (i.e., the account login I received a few days after submitting my application), my application is "incomplete."  I am hoping the second one is a mistake, because I definitely submitted all relevant material (letters, transcripts, everything) well before the 12/31 deadline.

27 minutes ago, atomizer said:

Congratulations!!! That gives me hope that I might see a letter in the coming week although my online accounts still say nothing.

1. How soon before 12/31 did you apply?

2. Interesting that you cannot find your acceptance online.  I'm finding the online systems a bit confusing.  According to my "ApplyYourself" page (i.e., the page used to create and submit my application), my application was submitted on 12/31 and was "completed" days earlier.  It also lists all of my transcripts and letters as being received.  But then according to my UPitt "applicant account" (i.e., the account login I received a few days after submitting my application), my application is "incomplete."  I am hoping the second one is a mistake, because I definitely submitted all relevant material (letters, transcripts, everything) well before the 12/31 deadline.

The UPitt Portal is incorrect and you shouldn't base it off that, they said it is a glitch in the system. Mine still says incomplete although I got accepted awhile ago. The ApplyYourself portal will say "Decision Status" at the bottom after your transcripts. 

39 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

The UPitt Portal is incorrect and you shouldn't base it off that, they said it is a glitch in the system. Mine still says incomplete although I got accepted awhile ago. The ApplyYourself portal will say "Decision Status" at the bottom after your transcripts. 

Ah, OK!  That's good to know.  How confusing--someone from Pitt told me a few weeks ago that I should be looking at the Pitt Portal, not Apply Yourself.  Right now there is no "Decision Status" anywhere under my transcript listings.  I take it there is no "Decision Status" option at all until the decision is actually ready?

1 hour ago, atomizer said:

Ah, OK!  That's good to know.  How confusing--someone from Pitt told me a few weeks ago that I should be looking at the Pitt Portal, not Apply Yourself.  Right now there is no "Decision Status" anywhere under my transcript listings.  I take it there is no "Decision Status" option at all until the decision is actually ready?

Yeah it won’t show until a decision has been made. 

Hi All!

I submitted before the priority deadline and got my acceptance on 1/9,  my letter arrived on the 18th and financial aid information was stated to come in February. I did have guaranteed admission with a 3.4+ gpa, so I don't know if that made the decision process faster. I'm still waiting on other schools before I decide where I'll go!

10 hours ago, kf2018 said:

Hi All!

I submitted before the priority deadline and got my acceptance on 1/9,  my letter arrived on the 18th and financial aid information was stated to come in February. I did have guaranteed admission with a 3.4+ gpa, so I don't know if that made the decision process faster. I'm still waiting on other schools before I decide where I'll go!

Congratulations!

Would you mind sharing (approximately) when you applied? I also have a GPA that is above the 3.4 threshold (and I applied before the deadline), but I have not heard a decision yet.