Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

Hello everyone, I was just wondering how does the "unofficial acceptance from PI" thing work. So far I was only admitted to UT Austin and did not receive any unofficial notice beforehand. Do most schools give unofficial notice to admitted students? 

@ibtes From my experience, usually how it works is faculty will reach out to you while they are reviewing your application to speak with you and get a feel for your research interests. In my case, all of these faculty members with the exception of one were professors that I had mentioned in my application. They tell you about some of the work they are currently doing/anticipating doing and try to gauge how interested you are, and whether you would be a good fit in their lab. In one case, a professor also had me speak with the graduate students in her lab. From my understanding, the faculty then submit a recommendation to the committee (i.e. they do or do not recommend you for the program). Some times there is a time gap between when the committee meets to make a decision and when they actually draft acceptance letters and send them out. During this period, the faculty that you have spoken to may email you and basically say "hey, you should except an acceptance letter in a few days!"

I think it depends on the school and whether or not you enter the program knowing what faculty you will work with or whether they do lab rotations during the first year.

Edited by strawberrykat
Grammar

PhD applicant here. 

I have applied to the civil engineering program (structural engineering direction) in several universities in the US. Just receive some invitations to the open house. No official offer yet! Currently I am the MS student in CMU. Good to hear your acceptance to CMU!

Good luck to you all!

So glad that someone made this forum! :)

Environmental Engineering master's here. Congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances so far!

I'm still waiting on three and got accepted to three others (one of which has offered funding so far). I'm so grateful for the three that have replied but the other three are making me so nervous! lol

12 hours ago, applestrudel said:

So glad that someone made this forum! :)

Environmental Engineering master's here. Congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances so far!

I'm still waiting on three and got accepted to three others (one of which has offered funding so far). I'm so grateful for the three that have replied but the other three are making me so nervous! lol

hey can I ask when did you apply for Stanford and when did you hear back from them? I also applied Berkeley and Stanford but I did not hear back from neither of them. I am freaking out haha

I think Berkeley releases decisions pretty late. Last year I see people received notice on 2/27.

By the way, does Berkeley offer any two-year MS program? On their website it looks like all MS programs are of 1-year length.

4 hours ago, ibtes said:

I think Berkeley releases decisions pretty late. Last year I see people received notice on 2/27.

By the way, does Berkeley offer any two-year MS program? On their website it looks like all MS programs are of 1-year length.

Berkeley has a dual masters Structural Engineering/Architecture program. That takes about 2 years. I believe all the CEE MS programs are one year by themselves, though.

9 hours ago, LEIRA_ said:

hey can I ask when did you apply for Stanford and when did you hear back from them? I also applied Berkeley and Stanford but I did not hear back from neither of them. I am freaking out haha

Sure! I applied on December 3rd, and I heard back from them on the 6th. I have been monitoring the results list and and though there were a couple of other people posting that day, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you! Stanford's FAQ page for CEE says that admission results are typically given in March/early April, so they are probably still working on reviewing applicants and they just wanted to get a few out of their way or something. :)  Good luck!

And I'm totally right there with you regarding UC Berkeley! 

4 hours ago, applestrudel said:

Sure! I applied on December 3rd, and I heard back from them on the 6th. I have been monitoring the results list and and though there were a couple of other people posting that day, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you! Stanford's FAQ page for CEE says that admission results are typically given in March/early April, so they are probably still working on reviewing applicants and they just wanted to get a few out of their way or something. :)  Good luck!

And I'm totally right there with you regarding UC Berkeley! 

Hey thank you!! Good luck with everything! I applied on December 3rd as well.. ahh hopefully they are still considering.. I am an international student haha. not sure if that's why they take longer time to process the application...? 

18 hours ago, LEIRA_ said:

Hey thank you!! Good luck with everything! I applied on December 3rd as well.. ahh hopefully they are still considering.. I am an international student haha. not sure if that's why they take longer time to process the application...? 

That's very possible! Good luck to you as well and I hope you hear back soon!

I was accepted into Stanford for MS in structural engineering. I applied in late November, and for some reason, I reckoned that my chance would increase if I do not indicate intent for financial aid. Now I'm stuck with the conundrum of whether or not its financially feasible to shell out 100k for a 1-year MS degree. On one hand, it's a once in a life-time opportunity to live and study near Palo Alto, on the other hand, it's so god damn expensive....

Edited by BobW

Did you guys who heard back from Carnegie Mellon today apply to the PhD or MS program?? I applied for the PhD program, but I checked my application portal today and I see that someone made me an MS application just today. I'm suspicious that I didn't get into the PhD program, but maybe that means I'm being considered for an MS?

So far I've been accepted for a PhD at USC with funding, but that's the only school I've heard back from at all! They had the earliest application deadline of the schools I applied to, so I guess it makes sense. 

UGH, this waiting is killing me. Congrats to you all, by the way!

Edited by 1PhDplz
missing info

@1PhDplz I applied to the PhD program. I suppose they could be recommending you for a masters? Before the decision appeared on the site, all of the application details disappeared (the check list of what has been received and all). I imagine you should hear back soon! Best of luck!