Waitlisted. What are my chances?

Clongoria90

Hi all,

My second time applying for PhD programs after finishing my MS in 2016. I was waitlisted for Rice Fall 2018 in Biochemistry and Cell Biology. This is the closest I've ever been to getting into a program, and I have yet to hear back from 3 other schools (University of Texas at Austin, Rutgers, and UCSD). I know the schools can vary, but what is the likelihood of getting in off that waitlist?

Honestly no one can really say. There are a ton of factors at play, including: how many people are on the waitlist, how far up the waitlist you are, how they structure the waitlist (e.g. some departments will just accept whoever's next on the waitlist while others "assign" individual backups for accepted students), what other offers the accepted students are receiving...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waitilisted at two places. Was recently rejected from another school I was waitlisted at, as well. I am PRAYING for miracles at this point bc it's the closest I've come to getting into a PhD program, considering this is my second time around applying. Just know we're here with you.

Are you contacted to inform you that you are waitlisted or is it just an assumption you have to make? At what point in time is it appropriate to ask the department if you have been waitlisted? Is now too early?

20 minutes ago, nickel28 said:

Are you contacted to inform you that you are waitlisted or is it just an assumption you have to make? At what point in time is it appropriate to ask the department if you have been waitlisted? Is now too early?

You're sometimes contacted and sometimes not. I had emailed two programs and asked for my status, in which they told me I was waitlisted and another proactively sent an email in December stating I was. It really depends on the program and probably how traumatized they are by 'What's my status?' emails. I would say now is a great time to ask. Once you clear mid-Feb, most interviews and/or accepts have been done or sent out, so now is a good time to figure out if you've been waitlisted or rejected. Too early probably would've been Dec.-Feb. 1st...or anytime before you see someone post an 'acceptance' or 'interview'.

IMO.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, Clongoria90 said:

Hi all,

My second time applying for PhD programs after finishing my MS in 2016. I was waitlisted for Rice Fall 2018 in Biochemistry and Cell Biology. This is the closest I've ever been to getting into a program, and I have yet to hear back from 3 other schools (University of Texas at Austin, Rutgers, and UCSD). I know the schools can vary, but what is the likelihood of getting in off that waitlist?

Hi

Did they notify you by email or you application status changed?

I've applied for that program too but still don't have any answer. Good luck with the others schools

On 2/5/2018 at 9:43 AM, Clongoria90 said:

Hi all,

This is my second round of applying after my MS, too, and I've been waitlisted at 2 programs after interview and at 1 program without being invited to interview. It's so frustrating to be SO CLOSE! I've been reading past success stories of getting off the waitlist against all odds, and that has been very helpful this morning. Let us know updates as you receive them, and I wish you the best of luck!

23 hours ago, EdAlf said:

Hi

Did they notify you by email or you application status changed?

I've applied for that program too but still don't have any answer. Good luck with the others schools

They notified me by e-mail. They said to check back in if nothing happens by the 15th of March

Hello, 

I was also waitlisted at Rice for the biosciences program, and I wondered the same thing, "what are the chances of being admitted off of the waitlist?" I too have yet to hear anything back, but when you think about it, they'll probably make final decisions after all candidates accept or decline the extended offers. It would be nice to know if they rank waitlist applicants, consider all waitlist applicants by hosting another round of interviews, or if they just directly admit certain candidates. It's so confusing and perplexing, and I know exactly how you feel right now.