Purdue Electrical engineering accepted graduates

fermat68

9 hours ago, san141 said:

I have the same query. What's your track?

Image and video processing (I think that's what it's called)

1 hour ago, fermat68 said:

My department offer letter says no later than April 15. 

Thanks a lot for the info. Strange that I couldn't find such a date on my letter..

Edited by Eddy137

34 minutes ago, Eddy137 said:

Image and video processing (I think that's what it's called)

Thanks a lot for the info. Strange that I couldn't find such a date on my letter..

No problem. Actually, it was in my assistantship offer letter so it might be the deadline to accept the assistantship? I would ask the school. Are you masters or PhD?

1 hour ago, fermat68 said:

No problem. Actually, it was in my assistantship offer letter so it might be the deadline to accept the assistantship? I would ask the school. Are you masters or PhD?

Ah I guess that's where the issue lies; yea I should ask the school. My offer is masters without funding.

5 hours ago, fermat68 said:

Did any one apply with "MS/PhD " as their degree objective? If so what kind of response did you get?

What were the different options that you could select from? My end goal is a Ph.D., but I plan to get my Master's on the way. I was offered a 2-year TAship, and I'll be going to Purdue for the open house in March! Really excited to learn more about the program.

3 hours ago, abcd128 said:

What were the different options that you could select from? My end goal is a Ph.D., but I plan to get my Master's on the way. I was offered a 2-year TAship, and I'll be going to Purdue for the open house in March! Really excited to learn more about the program.

Same here. There was direct PhD, MS and MS/PhD for options, if I remember correctly. 

Can I ask - did you get an acceptance for MS with a TA ship or were you accepted for PhD with 2 year TA ship?

2 hours ago, fermat68 said:

Same here. There was direct PhD, MS and MS/PhD for options, if I remember correctly. 

Can I ask - did you get an acceptance for MS with a TA ship or were you accepted for PhD with 2 year TA ship?

I am pretty sure that I chose MS/PhD. I was admitted for a PhD with 2 year TA ship. What about yourself? 

6 hours ago, abcd128 said:

I am pretty sure that I chose MS/PhD. I was admitted for a PhD with 2 year TA ship. What about yourself? 

Interesting. Got a letter for MS, no mention of PhD. I'd chosen MS/PhD as well

Edited by fermat68

49 minutes ago, fermat68 said:

Interesting. Got a letter for MS, no mention of PhD. I'd chosen MS/PhD as well

Hmm, what was your research area? Also, I’m an in-State student, which probably affects funding and tuition in weird ways.

13 hours ago, abcd128 said:

I visited this program last year. Well organized relative to the other ones I went to. Good luck.

40 minutes ago, fermat68 said:

Anyone flying in for the open house? what time r u planning on getting there on thursday? Any recommendations on airports and shuttles?

Indianapolis International Airport is about 1.5 hours from Purdue, and there is a shuttle that runs every two hours to campus (http://www.lafayettelimo.com/). 

South Bend International is about 2 hours from Purdue, and if you are flying in on Thursday, I could carpool with you to Purdue since I'll be driving down from the South Bend area. 

Chicago has two airports - O'hare and Midway that are ~2.5 hours from campus, but generally a bit longer due to traffic. 

Chicago will definitely have the most flight options, and is a fairly affordable airport. South Bend only has select flights from major airports such as O'hare, New York LaGuardia, Detroit, and Atlanta. But it's size makes it easy to navigate and there is little traffic. Indianapolis would probably be the best option. It's a large enough airport that it has a lot of flight options, way less traffic than Chicago, and also there's the shuttle. I'd also be careful in terms of snow. Winter lasts pretty long in Indiana, and even though Chicago will have cheaper/more flights, Indy is probably a "safer" bet in terms of getting here. It's far enough from Lake Michigan that it isn't as affected by lake effect snow and thus fewer cancellations and delays. Hope this helps! 

@abcd128 , thanks for the detailed info. Very helpful. And thanks for the carpool offer too. But it looks like flight options to South bend are pretty limited and also expensive. Also would not want to tie you up with my flight schedules. There seems to be a shuttle from O'Hare too but the schedule is pretty sparse.I'll prolly end up going through Indianapolis. The shuttle from Indianapolis you mentioned, it is the Lafayette limo right ?