UIC Social Work advanced standing program

enatal96

Hey guys, I recently applied to the advanced standing social work program at UIC for the fall of 2018. I’m pretty worried about my chances of getting in and I can’t find much information about other worried people’s admission results. I’m graduating this May from SIUC with my bachelors in social work. I went to a community college for my first 2 years. I have a cum. GPA of 3.0 but I show a lot of improvement in my grades. I went from a semester gpa of 2.0 at community college to a 3.6 at SIU. I’m in a sorority and I have a lot of different volunteer experiences and hours. I submitted 3 LORs. I talked to someone from admissions before I submitted my application and expressed my concern about my chances of getting in because of my GPA. She said that there are around 1,000 applicants and she said they accept somewhere around 200 for the regular 2 year program but since I will have my BSW and id do the advanced standing program, I have a much higher chance of getting in because of the fewer number of applicants with BSWs. Can anyone share their experience of getting accepted or denied into this program? 

• 1 month later...

Hey, I applied to UIC as well and I still haven't heard anything back from admissions, I did get an email saying that my application was in the review process and that I should hear something back by the end of April. I submitted my application on 12/29 and my LC were all submitted by 01/09. Did you hear anything back from admissions?

Hi

I've applied to JACSW for the standard 2 year program in Fall 2018 and I received my admit decision on 3/23. I submitted on 1/15, but wasn't able to pay the application fee until 3/21 because I was waiting on a decision on if I qualified for the uic free app program. I never heard back about the free app despite waiting so long so I just paid the fee and within 2 days I got an email saying I had been accepted and that they were still waiting to receive my transcripts, which were received the next day. My last LOR was submitted on 1/09. I also am currently an undegrad student at UIC majoring in psychology and graduating in May, so idk if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks! I'm really happy they got back to me so fast, I'm still waiting to hear back from other places and may have to ask them for an extension before I make my final decision because they only gave me until the 24th. I think it was my LORs that got me in, I waived my right to read them, but I'm sure my recommenders talked me up real good haha.

Yea I would defiantly ask for an extension, where else did you apply? Also, did they send you anything about financial aid? I went to an information class they had and they said that they do offer financial aid but its not a lot its limited. 

I also applied to Depaul, Loyola, and recently Hunter College in NY even though it's really late in the application season, but I'm still hopeful. Hunter's deadline isn't until 4/30. All they said about financial aid was to go to the UIC snap page with your NetID and password and apply for scholarships there. I think I have to wait until after I submit my intent to enroll to hear about financial aid, which is kinda annoying because other schools will let you know upfront so you are able to weigh your options.