Opinions for Next Cycle - Where should I apply!

katieb93

I was rejected to all my top choice...so I'm trying to not be this depressing blob and I'm trying to pick up the pieces of a shattered soul lol 

(Im a perfectionist, so rejection on my first try feels like the ultimate failure of life...I have issues I but I digress).

Some of you are SO well qualified and so knowledgable about these different programs I thought who better to go to?

I'm looking for a qualitative political science/international relations focused PHD program.
I have a BA in Political Science and soon to have an MA in European Union Studies from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Almost all of my classes as a graduate student have been in the political science department.

I want to keep researching Ukraine/Russia and security studies. I'm really interested in balancing techniques, security relations and geopolitics (spheres of influence).

Any recommendations on where to look to apply? I have a very low math GRE score and VERY high reading and writing score. 

Thanks! 

So first I want to tell you not to be discouraged. In my first cycle I got 10 rejections, but in my second I got 5 great offers. So use this year to learn, adjust expectations, work on your profile, and come back stronger next cycle.

From what little information you gave, and out of the top of my head, I'd say Syracuse and UT-Austin would be interesting places for you.

I do think you should retake the GRE and improve your math score. From what I've gathered, adcoms don't particularly care about your writing score, but unfortunately our field has a tendency to equate quantitative research to "real science", so showing that you have basic math skills is really important (even if later on you won't use it).

Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear you got rejected from your top schools. If I get rejected from all of my schools I think I'll just give up on this whole doctor thing and become a stripper. 

But in seriousness. I'm in a similar field of security studies so three of the ones I applied to were CUNY, The Fletcher School at Tufts, and Northeastern. CUNY Graduate Center is great for more qualitative work and The Fletcher School covers just about every conceivable level of security studies. Of course you have your big schools like Princeton as well and USC on the west coast.

I think this is a somewhat wrong approach.

The goal should always be what do I need to do to get into the best program possible. Not, conversely, I didn't get into X programs this cycle, how can I change which schools I apply to so that I receive acceptances?

Yes, we all want acceptances; but we should strive for acceptances from programs that are going to give us the best chance of getting a job.

What I would do in your shoes:

- First all, retake the GRE. Then retake it again, and again, until you have at least high 150s or 160+ in your quant section. You're making it easy for schools to reject you if it's not that high. Everyone is capable of getting at least 75th percentile in the quant section, just takes hardwork and discipline. 

- Critically assess every part of your application, and fix whatever is weak. Rewrite your SOP, get some research experience, get a working paper in order from your master's thesis that you can submit as a writing sample, continue to build relationships with your letter writers, ect. 

I usually trust applicant's assessments of which programs they think are a good fit for them research wise (although, sometimes, people really miss the mark here). I doubt the problem is which programs you applied to, it's that you lost out on the competition battle - which happens for everyone, by the way.

Lastly, don't pigeon hole yourself. There's nothing inherently wrong with being more qualitatively inclined...but there are certain questions that cannot be adequately answered without quant methods. A lot of IR students/scholars are using formal models to build their theories. You may find out that you can measure your variable using text analysis of documents. Don't shy away from this...and do not apply to programs specialized in qualitative methods; it makes getting a job even more of an uphill battle. 

It also may be helpful if you provided a list of the programs you applied to this cycle.

Edited by Comparativist

@katieb93 I'm sorry to hear about all this :/ But when I was asking my advisor about applying to grad programs, she said if I don't get into my top choices, a method of gaining entrance is to take graduate classes there as a non-degree student or work as a research assistant for the professors you wanna work with -- this way you would established those relationships that would help you get in.

4 hours ago, Doge said:

@katieb93 I'm sorry to hear about all this :/ But when I was asking my advisor about applying to grad programs, she said if I don't get into my top choices, a method of gaining entrance is to take graduate classes there as a non-degree student or work as a research assistant for the professors you wanna work with -- this way you would established those relationships that would help you get in.

That is actually how I got into my MA program was non-degree seeking and working with various professors. It is pricy but it can work.

I got rejected by all my top choices, nearly all applications. It was pretty hard to swallow when rejection came one by one. I was diagnosed as situational depression, and had terrible 2 weeks. Now finally I got an offer, but depression continues...! So my point is, to take care of your health and your emotions! Nothing is more important than your health. 

As to schools, I think you have a pretty good background! Like other suggestions, re-take GRE, re-polish the personal statement, most importantly, read more articles and attach an academic writing sample to show your research potential.

What I learned from my 8-straight rejections, is that my research interest doesn't fit into each of them. It does not mean I am not good or I don't have potential. Opportunities will come around, and you never know! Keep fighting!

Unfortunately, political science is moving more towards quantitative methods (with a sprinkle of qualitative methods). Most PhD programs have at least 3 quantitative methods courses that are required and a very low quantitative score already puts into question your performance in those classes. Adding the fact that you are interested in qualitative methods, then it puts into question your interest in mastering those skills.

From another perspective, a very low score in the GRE can indicate lack of effort. I expect people to at least take it a second time and show some improvement. 

If you are interested in Russia, I expect you to have an very good command of Russian. There is no time in graduate school to learn a language and you cannot be an expert on a particular area without language knowledge. Maybe you already know Russian. You can look into the Critical Language Scholarship to improve those skills, for instance.