How to determine which school is the best fit for you

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice from people that have accepted offers already, are already attending graduate school, or have completed graduate school... How did you determine which school is the best for you (if you had options)? I am trying to visit schools, do online research, etc. but I know this is a very important decision. Some factors are obviously funding, distance, and the program's values but I am finding this overwhelming as there is so much to consider. I also believe that, to some extent, you can make the best out of it no matter which school you attend. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks to all in advance! :)

money! A few of my schools were comparable tuition wise, so it was also about rent prices and housing availability close to the school. I also didn't want to move far from my undergrad institution, which was already 100s of miles from my hometown. So, if the move was small that was a huge plus. My final decision between two schools was the focus. I was confident I want to work in the school setting and serve bilingual children, so I was looking for the schools that had either a bilingual focus or clear multicultural emphasis in curriculum and scholarships available. I also looked at the research and focuses of the professors in the program to find which had staff with the best fit for my interests because I may be shadowing them or they may be placing me for practicum, and overall they could be potential life-long connections.

15 hours ago, lacuna said:

money! A few of my schools were comparable tuition wise, so it was also about rent prices and housing availability close to the school. I also didn't want to move far from my undergrad institution, which was already 100s of miles from my hometown. So, if the move was small that was a huge plus. My final decision between two schools was the focus. I was confident I want to work in the school setting and serve bilingual children, so I was looking for the schools that had either a bilingual focus or clear multicultural emphasis in curriculum and scholarships available. I also looked at the research and focuses of the professors in the program to find which had staff with the best fit for my interests because I may be shadowing them or they may be placing me for practicum, and overall they could be potential life-long connections.

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. Housing costs are such a huge factor. If you don't mind me asking, did you opt to live with anyone from your program? I feel like that could go really well or absolutely terribly.

Money and opportunity to extern out of state. I knew the clinic and supervisors were strong as well. Ranking not too important. I wanted to move elsewhere but the cost for nonresident tuition wasn't worth it. 

On 2/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, MichiganSLP said:

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. Housing costs are such a huge factor. If you don't mind me asking, did you opt to live with anyone from your program? I feel like that could go really well or absolutely terribly.

I didn't and I'm glad I didn't, because I already see my cohort nearly 20 hours a week! I do live with students in other programs though which is nice. I would possibly live with people in my cohort but not before I got to know them.

Money! I wanted to probably be more of a medical SLP (even though I change my mind daily now that I'm in grad school). I'm making the most of a program that isn't necessarily medical based. I'm doing my internship before graduation at a hospital. I also am involved in research despite that not being a thing most people in my cohort are involved in. I went to the best program (just overall) that also had the best cost.