MA programs still accepting apps?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting shut out this year and am feeling a bit panicked about the interrelated issues of, when applying again, at that point applying to start 4 years after I finished undergrad (so with my LORs being that old) and also not having been immersed in coursework and however that might influence my own writing, research interests, general familiarity with literature, etc. Are there are any reputable MA programs still accepting applications? Would that be at all a good idea to pursue--to attend a program that is still open for Fall 2018 (at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I wonder if those programs tend to be respected ones?)? 

Curious to hear general thoughts, rules of thumb on this, etc. Also curious if anyone knows anything about Concordia, in Montreal (I'm an American in New York for whatever it may be worth)--they're a program that has an extended deadline until April 1. If you are eventually aiming for a top 20 PhD program, does that sound like a helpful or detrimental route?

Thank you!

I've heard great things about Villanova, and they accept applications until March 1. If you can pull together an application in a week, perhaps this would be a good option? I know there are a number of GCers who have attended/are attending. Here's the link: https://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/artsci/graduate/graduate-programs/english.html

I'll be applying to a few programs in Germany that are taught in English, in large part because I want to improve my German, but maybe you could look into those or other places in Europe. They tend to be less expensive which would offset the cost of such a big relocation and the applications won't be due until April. I'm not sure how US departments see those though.

6 minutes ago, Hermenewtics said:

Somewhere on this board there's a list of funded MAs. It may be worth a search (though it would require checking most of them individually). 

I think a lot of their deadlines have passed, unfortunately. But yes it's worth the search!

It all depends on what you’re calling reputable and how you’ll pay for it. There are programs that are under appreciated that are still accepting, though many have had funding deadlines pass. The rankings of English grad programs look only at institutions with PhD programs, but there certainly are Masters only programs that place people in strong PhD programs.

Hi, @automatic. I received the following message on one of my list-servs. FWIW, I don't know anything about the program, but John Carroll is accepting applications (and it looks like they are almost guaranteeing admission with funding to serious applicants). Here's the message from my list-serv:

Hello, fellow WCenter listserv-ers,
   As the result of a very low applicant pool, I write to share that the English department at John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio is seeking applications from any student who may wish to pursue a Master's in English, and would be interested in a fully-funded Graduate Assistant position.
   Applications are needed rather urgently; I've attached a document that provides an overview of our program and assistantship offerings (ignore the due date--that was the message from awhile ago). Please share this with any student you may know who would be interested--at this point, we would ask that only committed applicants apply.
   If you get any responses from students who plan to apply, please ask them to contact me immediately so I can notify the committee (msoriano@jcu.edu). Thank you for your help!
My best,
Maria
--
Maria Soriano Young
Writing Center Director

Listserv Announcement about MA in English Program

John Carroll University, a Jesuit liberal arts university located just outside of Cleveland in University Heights, Ohio, invites applications for the Master of Arts program in English. Students may choose from two tracks for this degree: Literature or Creative Writing.

A wide span of course offerings ensures that MA students will study, discuss, and write about various genres of literature from the Medieval period to contemporary literature. The course of study—which is completed in two years by full-time students, but offers flexible enrollment to part-time students—is completed with a comprehensive examination in a chosen period category and either an Essay or a Thesis. MA students study under faculty members who are published scholars, poets, and fiction writers, and benefit from their support and guidance among a close-knit department.

Graduates of John Carroll’s Master of Arts in English program find their writing, critical thinking, analysis, and professional skills readily transferable to a number of post-graduation paths: PhD programs in Literature or Composition and Rhetorical Studies, Master of Fine Arts programs, adjunct professor positions, secondary school teaching positions, nonprofit work, and technical writing are just a few examples.

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available for students interested in gaining teaching experience. GAs receive a tuition waiver for up to 18 credit hours per year plus a stipend of $10,000 per year with no additional fees. Responsibilities include working in the Writing Center, teaching composition courses, assisting with program assessment, and aiding faculty members with research. Students who want to apply for a GA position must submit all required materials. Applications for the MA program itself are accepted on a rolling basis.

For more detailed information about the program offerings, please visit the English department’s Graduate Studies website at http://sites.jcu.edu/graduatestudies/pages/graduate-programs/masters-programs/english/.

Edited by EspritHabile

8 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Maybe I am crazy, but I swear the Villanova application deadline for assistantship funding changed from March 1 when I looked yesterday, to March 12 when I looked today. Good news???

I don't think you're going crazy. This page talks about the change. Funding decisions were always made after spring break so I think they wanted to ensure the strongest applicant pool possible.

2 hours ago, EspritHabile said:

Hi, @automatic. I received the following message on one of my list-servs. FWIW, I don't know anything about the program, but John Carroll is accepting applications (and it looks like they are almost guaranteeing admission with funding to serious applicants). Here's the message from my list-serv:

Hello, fellow WCenter listserv-ers,
   As the result of a very low applicant pool, I write to share that the English department at John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio is seeking applications from any student who may wish to pursue a Master's in English, and would be interested in a fully-funded Graduate Assistant position.
   Applications are needed rather urgently; I've attached a document that provides an overview of our program and assistantship offerings (ignore the due date--that was the message from awhile ago). Please share this with any student you may know who would be interested--at this point, we would ask that only committed applicants apply.
   If you get any responses from students who plan to apply, please ask them to contact me immediately so I can notify the committee (msoriano@jcu.edu). Thank you for your help!
My best,
Maria
--
Maria Soriano Young
Writing Center Director

Listserv Announcement about MA in English Program

John Carroll University, a Jesuit liberal arts university located just outside of Cleveland in University Heights, Ohio, invites applications for the Master of Arts program in English. Students may choose from two tracks for this degree: Literature or Creative Writing.

A wide span of course offerings ensures that MA students will study, discuss, and write about various genres of literature from the Medieval period to contemporary literature. The course of study—which is completed in two years by full-time students, but offers flexible enrollment to part-time students—is completed with a comprehensive examination in a chosen period category and either an Essay or a Thesis. MA students study under faculty members who are published scholars, poets, and fiction writers, and benefit from their support and guidance among a close-knit department.

Graduates of John Carroll’s Master of Arts in English program find their writing, critical thinking, analysis, and professional skills readily transferable to a number of post-graduation paths: PhD programs in Literature or Composition and Rhetorical Studies, Master of Fine Arts programs, adjunct professor positions, secondary school teaching positions, nonprofit work, and technical writing are just a few examples.

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available for students interested in gaining teaching experience. GAs receive a tuition waiver for up to 18 credit hours per year plus a stipend of $10,000 per year with no additional fees. Responsibilities include working in the Writing Center, teaching composition courses, assisting with program assessment, and aiding faculty members with research. Students who want to apply for a GA position must submit all required materials. Applications for the MA program itself are accepted on a rolling basis.

For more detailed information about the program offerings, please visit the English department’s Graduate Studies website at http://sites.jcu.edu/graduatestudies/pages/graduate-programs/masters-programs/english/.

Wow! I am looking into this RIGHT NOW, thank you!

I panic-applied to Loyola Marymount University in CA because I also had a bunch of rejections and they waived the app fee for "priority" deadline applications, so I literally know nothing about the program, but they do rolling admissions. They have a dedicated rhet/comp MA track, which was nice.

Edit: Well, never mind that! CONGRATS@automatic, that's amazing!!!!

Edited by hotpotato
it ain't over till the fat lady sings!!

On 2/23/2018 at 9:14 PM, hotpotato said:

I panic-applied to Loyola Marymount University in CA because I also had a bunch of rejections and they waived the app fee for "priority" deadline applications, so I literally know nothing about the program, but they do rolling admissions. They have a dedicated rhet/comp MA track, which was nice.

Edit: Well, never mind that! CONGRATS@automatic, that's amazing!!!!

Hahahaha thank you! Oh my goodness!!!! What a difference a day makes! Thanks so much!!!!

Not accepting applications right now (deadline passed), but I went to a program that only does an MA for my MA (Clark University in Worcester), and it was fully funded, and I got a TAship with a good funding package (for a terminal MA program).

Not sure if you're looking for schools to also apply to if this season doesn't work out, but I had an amazing time at Clark University.

http://www2.clarku.edu/departments/english/

On 3/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, LibraryLivingJT said:

Not accepting applications right now (deadline passed), but I went to a program that only does an MA for my MA (Clark University in Worcester), and it was fully funded, and I got a TAship with a good funding package (for a terminal MA program).

Not sure if you're looking for schools to also apply to if this season doesn't work out, but I had an amazing time at Clark University.

http://www2.clarku.edu/departments/english/

Thank you! I had been waiting on one last school, assuming it'd be a rejection like the others, when I posted this...but it wasn't! So indeed I'll be getting my PhD at Columbia. However I almost went to Clark for undergrad and loved it, and the area! This makes me a bit wistful! 

18 hours ago, automatic said:

Thank you! I had been waiting on one last school, assuming it'd be a rejection like the others, when I posted this...but it wasn't! So indeed I'll be getting my PhD at Columbia. However I almost went to Clark for undergrad and loved it, and the area! This makes me a bit wistful! 

HUGE CONGRATS! That is FANTASTIC!!!