Psych MA/MS prereqs leeway: a bizarre situation

whitmanic

Hey all,

I'm 25 with a humanities undergrad degree, and coursework in the cognitive sciences. I'm hoping to eventually get a PhD in psychology (critically: not sure whether cognitive or clinical), and have been applying to both terminal MA/MS programs, and full-time RAships, as stepping stones to that end. So far I've applied to Wake Forest, William and Mary, and Bucknell—and am also considering Villanova and UChicago's MAPSS and MACSS.

Fast forward to today: I just got into Wake Forest's program with full funding and a stipend. However, I'm not thrilled about the possibility of going to Winston-Salem (not that it's a no!), and want to keep my options as wide-open as possible. Philadelphia, for example, sounds much better, all else equal.

Here's the trouble: Villanova's Director of Graduate Studies just responded to my inquiry about their much heavier prereqs (compared to the other programs I applied to) by saying that I have almost everything necessary to apply—but that I'm ineligible until I take 2 more undergrad psych courses. I understand that his word is probably final, but is there any way to leverage the fact that I just got into a comparable program? I'm from the Northeast and would love at least a chance to stay.

Also: thoughts on UChicago's MAPSS and MACSS with a psych focus? 1-year sounds alluring, but I'm not sure how much psych PhD programs respect this route.

• 1 month later...

If you are still interested in Villanova, you can try asking what are some alternative ways you can satisfy your missing requirements. It might be possible to met the requirements by taking the courses now or in the summer at a local college or online before enrollment.

Committed to William & Mary.

MAPSS' 1-year term now feels like as much of a downside as an upside. I don't doubt that placements are really good, but I'd be shocked if it measured up in terms of research rigor. Convince me otherwise? ;)

Definitely think W&M is probably the best program overall, no argument there.

I wasn't sure about MAPSS research as well but found out that all students get lab placements for the year. Psychology students start earlier than all other students in the summer so that they get more research experience/opportunity. You work on lab projects as well as a research thesis. And profs are world class so that's a plus. AND placements are just so good with nearly all students that apply getting the schools they want. And on average, each student gets around 3 offers from phd programs. They're pretty confident/cocky on placement in both phd and just jobs too. That Uchicago name.