OGS Results 2018-2019

FM8

Greetings fellow neurotic GradCafe-ers! :blink:

I failed to find an existing thread concerning OGS results for 2018-2019, so I have decided to start one here. I figure we can share info during this torturous process, as well as (hopefully positive) results, and ask questions... 

Speaking of which: I recently found out that I've been waitlisted for an OGS, and I am curious if anyone (previous awardees perhaps?) knows what the odds are of getting it off a waitlist. I refuse to get my hopes up, but it would be nice to have an idea of the process (first time applicant). 

13 hours ago, FM8 said:

Greetings fellow neurotic GradCafe-ers! :blink:

I failed to find an existing thread concerning OGS results for 2018-2019, so I have decided to start one here. I figure we can share info during this torturous process, as well as (hopefully positive) results, and ask questions... 

Speaking of which: I recently found out that I've been waitlisted for an OGS, and I am curious if anyone (previous awardees perhaps?) knows what the odds are of getting it off a waitlist. I refuse to get my hopes up, but it would be nice to have an idea of the process (first time applicant). 

Do you mind me asking what school waitlisted you? I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from the one school I am accepted to about OGS!

7 hours ago, punkwich said:

Do you mind me asking what school waitlisted you? I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from the one school I am accepted to about OGS!

UOttawa put me on a waitlist. I had to email them to find out though, which might be an option for you (?) I also got admitted to my alma mater (York U), whose GPD informed me that I'm "a strong contender" for OGS there too (could be just a tactic for me to accept their offer though). So, I guess deciding where to go will have to come before confirming whether or not I get OGS, which of course is not ideal.

Being on a waitlist sucks...

3 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

OGS results came in from my school. 

I won! Hopefully I win SSHRC or Vanier so then someone else on the waitlist can get OGS.

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask which school? 

51 minutes ago, FM8 said:

I would also like to know this! It's unlikely anyone else is waiting on the Lakehead OGS results on this board, though

22 hours ago, FM8 said:

21 hours ago, punkwich said:

I would also like to know this! It's unlikely anyone else is waiting on the Lakehead OGS results on this board, though

Carleton in Ottawa. :)

I applied to uOttawa for an OGS... I know it varies by department, but I'm wondering if that's a decision they'd send out with the admission offer / funding package or if it's entirely separate? (Edit: I have not yet been accepted)

Edited by cosmicrey

9 hours ago, cosmicrey said:

I applied to uOttawa for an OGS... I know it varies by department, but I'm wondering if that's a decision they'd send out with the admission offer / funding package or if it's entirely separate? (Edit: I have not yet been accepted)

pretty sure it's separate.

I'm in the same boat. Was notified I have been waitlisted for OGS for uOttawa. They also said in the email they won't release the ranking of the waitlist if asked. So no idea what the chances of coming off the waitlist are. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, cosmicrey said:

It's definitely separate, at least for the Linguistics program at UOttawa. I got details about funding with my admission offer, and found out about my OGS "waitlist" status afterwards. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Benefit said:

I'm in the same boat. Was notified I have been waitlisted for OGS for uOttawa. They also said in the email they won't release the ranking of the waitlist if asked. So no idea what the chances of coming off the waitlist are. 

Yeah, that's what I got  <_< 

My only hope is that a significant proportion of OGS awardees are miraculously also awarded SSHRC awards (or some other 'better' scholarship to that effect) and, in turn, decline their OGS offer so those of us waitlisted can have a chance. Wishful thinking... 

5 hours ago, FM8 said:

It's definitely separate, at least for the Linguistics program at UOttawa. I got details about funding with my admission offer, and found out about my OGS "waitlist" status afterwards. 

Ah yes, thank you, more waiting then... could you pls tell me how much time after your admission offer did you wait to hear about the OGS?

7 hours ago, cosmicrey said:

Ah yes, thank you, more waiting then... could you pls tell me how much time after your admission offer did you wait to hear about the OGS?

I got my offer last week of January and found out about OGS at the end of February. But I had to email them to find out. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, cosmicrey said:

Update: got the OGS from uOttawa. Have 30 days to reply so luckily no rush. Still waiting on another uni. Best of luck to everyone else!

Congratulations!! 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Piagetsky said:

Dang, U of T doesn't release OGS results until mid-July?

Well, their deadline for applications was much later compared to the other two schools I applied to (which is why I didn't bother with OGS at U of T) so it's possible that they release results later as well (?) That's just a guess though...

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, punkwich said:

Heard from Lakehead, didn't get OGS or even get waitlisted, kinda sad about it

Sorry to hear about that...Hope you hear some positive results from the other schools you've applied to!

6 hours ago, Benefit said:

Just got notified I won an OGS.... for a school I won't be going to (York). Still on the wait-list for OGS for the school I accepted an offer from (Ottawa). 

So we're in the same boat...I'm also waitlisted at Ottawa, where I've accepted an offer. Do you mind if I ask which program?