UVA or UGA for microbiology

B. cereus

I have been accepted to both UVA and UGA for their Microbiology PhD programs and I have no idea how I'm going to decide. I enjoyed my visits to both schools and was really impressed by the research and PIs. Logistically:

UVA (Charlottesville, VA) - offering $30,500 annual stipend, it's a umbrella program within the medical school, great faculty and research going on there, facilities are really nice, I have family in the area, no TA requirement.

UGA (Athens, GA) - offering $27,000 annual stipend, stand alone microbiology department within the college of arts and sciences, also really friendly/supportive PIs, facilities aren't as nice as UVA, I have friends in the area, has a TA requirement (2 semesters).

I'm really torn and not sure how I'm going to begin deciding. I'm not really interested in a career in academia. I'm leaning towards staying in research perhaps in industry or government research, but I'm not super clear on my career path right now. 

Opinions? Pro/cons? Thank you!!

Disclaimer - not a microbiologist. 

That being said, I think the two schools sound pretty similar and like places that you would enjoy so you can only go so wrong. Regarding the umbrella program at UVA, I'm not totally sure what that means, but it sounds pretty flexible and interdisciplinary. You might encounter some neat research projects there, with relevance to medicine. Not having to TA is nice. Being a TA is pretty relevant for academia I feel, but most workplaces also place a value on employees being able to teach other employees. So you may want to still consider getting that experience at some point, even for just a semester. 

Things I would consider are:

1. Are there any particular professors that you are really really interested in working with at either school (i.e. Your first choice professor)? What are they like as a mentor, confirm that you would be happy working with them. 

2. Cost of living. How do those stipends hold up? Do a quick perusal of apartment rates in the area and get a feel for both locations. 

3. Job placement. Most department websites have an alumni page and may show you where their grads are now. This may give you some ideas. 

4. Research directions. What do you see yourself working on in the future, which school will prepare you. Or if you don't know, which school gives flexibility to figure it out. 

Hope that helps a little! Decision making is the worst. Good luck! :)

Also not a microbiologist, but did my undergrad at UGA (and applied there for PhD). I'm currently trying to make my decision as well, and all other things equal, it's going to come down to environment. Can I spend 5 years there happily, without going insane? If you're considering the environment aspect, I can help break that down. 

I know you said you visited, but Athens is the single greatest college town there is. I might get some flack for saying that, but I've visited a ton of campuses, and nothing comes near. In addition to having highly ranked programs, campus in general is comfortable. It's beautiful. Plenty of spaces to study, write, hang out, get a tan-- whatever it is, there's a green space for it. Tons of local culture adjacent to campus means that you can walk 10 minutes to get to a local coffee shop, or dive bar, or restaurant, or music venue. It's a fairly easy place to drive, but also easy if you don't have a car. The campus and city buses will get you just about anywhere you need to go, and EVERYONE uses them. Multiple libraries (a biology/south campus one, the main one, and I think a new one on North campus as well). Tons of places to study and do work that are never more than a 5 minute bus ride away. It's SO affordable. Want to live in a loft next to campus? You'll spend more money, but it's doable. Want to live away from campus? Tons of places to choose from. You'll get 4 seasons, but never be frozen to death. Not too far from Atlanta in case you feel like hanging out in a big city for the weekend, but honestly Athens>>>>>>Atlanta. Plus, you've got both mountains and beach within a couple hours' drive if you want to get away for a bit.

I could go on forever but I should probably stop now ;) If you want more info, or have specific questions about UGA/Athens, feel free to PM me!

I am also considering UGA and in a similar boat. I don't know where I want to go the most. For me the most important thing is finding a great mentor. I think UGA is at the top of my list so I may see you there in the fall!

28 minutes ago, B. cereus said:

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice, this definitely helps!

You mentioned you weren't interested in entering Academia so 'rank' becomes less important. Is there an area of the country you'd prefer to work in? Is it important that you have access to a 'music scene'? Is college football important to you? Would you mind that other students might be influenced by college football? Financially, I believe UGA is cheaper to live in but both places might offer different access to what's included in a standard apartment. How's the safety in both towns? Is having access to a major city important to you? Atlanta is about 70 miles away from Athens;  Washington DC is about 115 miles away from Virginia. How important is it having access to either of those libraries for your research? How important is it for you to be close to family?