NYU Online Speech Pathology MS Program

Hello everyone!

I have just been admitted into the NYU online speech masters program (cohort May 2018) and I would like to know if there are any students currently in the program who can give me some insight on the structure of the curriculum. I am a bit nervous about pursuing my MS online, and I am scared it will not be for me. I would like to know if how the classes are like, how many times a week are the virtual classes held, and how is the test taking process like? 

Thank you

46 minutes ago, Mliriano said:

Hello everyone!

I have just been admitted into the NYU online speech masters program (cohort May 2018) and I would like to know if there are any students currently in the program who can give me some insight on the structure of the curriculum. I am a bit nervous about pursuing my MS online, and I am scared it will not be for me. I would like to know if how the classes are like, how many times a week are the virtual classes held, and how is the test taking process like? 

Thank you

They have really helpful information sessions (held online) about once a month to help with questions like this.  The one that I went to was hosted by two current grad students and they answered questions about the classes.  I believe they have options for morning and evening classes (not sure how many times a week though) and the testing is also done online and timed.  Hopefully a current grad student will see this and chime in! 

37 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

They have really helpful information sessions (held online) about once a month to help with questions like this.  The one that I went to was hosted by two current grad students and they answered questions about the classes.  I believe they have options for morning and evening classes (not sure how many times a week though) and the testing is also done online and timed.  Hopefully a current grad student will see this and chime in! 

I have actually already attended the online information webinar a couple days ago, which also hosted two current grad students. I just feel like I still have many unanswered questions. I am also hopeful a current grad student sees this! Thank you for all your information!

On 3/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, Mliriano said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you

Congratulations! I'm waiting to hear back for Fall 2018. I tried to time my application submission so that I heard back from them around the same time as other schools that have an April 15th deadline so I can coordinate. I'm waiting to hear back and also hoping that I hear about financial aid before April 15th! Did they mention anything about financial aid in your acceptance or does that information come later? 

2 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Congratulations! I'm waiting to hear back for Fall 2018. I tried to time my application submission so that I heard back from them around the same time as other schools that have an April 15th deadline so I can coordinate. I'm waiting to hear back and also hoping that I hear about financial aid before April 15th! Did they mention anything about financial aid in your acceptance or does that information come later? 

Well the acceptance letter really just mentioned a bit of the program and the clinical process. The financial aid information becomes available to you after your acceptance. You could prob speak to your admissions counselor about it now though. My admissions counselor has been very helpful and supportive during this entire process. 

As per applying to the fall 2018 cohort was very smart of you. I applied to a total of 11 schools and still have 9 schools to hear back from. I basically start in NYU in two months and it’s a bit nerve recking but I’m very excited. 

Best of luck to you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, Mliriano said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you

Hey! Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from NYU online and was told by my admissions coordinator I would hear this week. Do you mind my asking your stats? I am unsure if I will be accepted or not as I did kind of poorly on my math section of the GRE :( 

Hi! I'm currently in my 3rd semester of NYU online and enjoying it! I chose this program because I work full time and it accommodates my schedule. I didn't want to have to worry about all the hassles that come with an on-campus program such as commuting, parking, etc. since that takes away valuable study time. You watch pre-recorded lectures before your live session, which is once a week for an hour. There are both evening and morning classes. Office hours are held too, and professors are very prompt in responding to questions outside of class. I am definitely learning a lot and it is just as rigorous as any other program. Everyone in my cohort is so supportive of each other, and we have study sessions online and I find myself always texting/calling/facetiming classmates, so always remember you are not alone! Depending on where you live (@mliriano - I see that you're in NY?), you are bound to find other people in your cohort where you can meet up in person. I live around LA and have met several people in the program. For exams, we use a program called Proctor track. There is no live proctor on the other end, but this program flags any suspicious behavior such as going on your phone, opening a browser, off-screen glances, etc. Of course, because it is a fairly new program, some kinks are still being worked out, but honestly nothing deal-breaking. Overall it's been working out for me and I'm almost halfway done!

10 hours ago, macklin_b said:

Hi! I'm currently in my 3rd semester of NYU online and enjoying it! I chose this program because I work full time and it accommodates my schedule. I didn't want to have to worry about all the hassles that come with an on-campus program such as commuting, parking, etc. since that takes away valuable study time. You watch pre-recorded lectures before your live session, which is once a week for an hour. There are both evening and morning classes. Office hours are held too, and professors are very prompt in responding to questions outside of class. I am definitely learning a lot and it is just as rigorous as any other program. Everyone in my cohort is so supportive of each other, and we have study sessions online and I find myself always texting/calling/facetiming classmates, so always remember you are not alone! Depending on where you live (@mliriano - I see that you're in NY?), you are bound to find other people in your cohort where you can meet up in person. I live around LA and have met several people in the program. For exams, we use a program called Proctor track. There is no live proctor on the other end, but this program flags any suspicious behavior such as going on your phone, opening a browser, off-screen glances, etc. Of course, because it is a fairly new program, some kinks are still being worked out, but honestly nothing deal-breaking. Overall it's been working out for me and I'm almost halfway done!

Thank you so much for all this information! Definitely puts my mind at ease knowing a bit more about the program. 

35 minutes ago, Mliriano said:

Thank you so much for all this information! Definitely puts my mind at ease knowing a bit more about the program. 

Of course! Feel free to reach out with any more questions!

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, macklin_b said:

@macklin_b could you give me more detail about your current job/ work schedule and how you are managing it? I work a typical 40 hour Monday-Friday job and am wondering if doing part time online will be manageable for me. Thank you! 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, macklin_b said:

I'm in the process of applying for the Jan 2020 cohort. This was so helpful! Thanks!!