Stanford Statistics M.S., or Michigan Stat Phd?

My ideal career goal is to work in industry and work with machine learning, big data, etc, applying statistics to health/public policy/social sciences. I know that the aims of a Masters and PhD are very different, and I want to make the decision that will open the most doors given my career goal. I've researched alumni placement and faculty research interests (though I couldn't find Stanford's M.S. alumni placement on their website.) I've also been admitted to NCSU's Stat PhD and Duke's Masters in Statistical Practice, and my question is the same. Any advice on this decision?  Thanks!

Edited by Student2091
typo

A PhD from Michigan statistics probably won't leave (m)any doors closed when it comes to the data science industry. Your listed goal is too broad to know if a masters is suitable or not. Maybe search for roles at companies doing what you describe and see what they prefer.

Starting a masters at Stanford and realizing you want to do a PhD could be messy financially. Starting a funded PhD at Michigan and realizing you only want a masters seems like a better deal. I'm biased towards the PhD option at least in the field of stats

Edited by GoPackGo89

Unless you are positive you want only a master's or are fabulously wealthy and need to live in California, start the PhD from Michigan. Worst case, you can get the MS on the way. A MS from Michigan will be negligibly less useful than an MS from Stanford, but a PhD from Michigan will be significantly more useful.

Personally, I'd be significantly more inclined to take the Michigan PhD, especially with that end goal in mind. A PhD will open up a lot of doors, and I've seen a lot of PhD statisticians get good placements in the Machine Learning field. Even if you do apply to more PhD programs after getting the MS at Stanford, I wouldn't expect it to make your application (too) much stronger. Whereas, as was said above, if you get a MS along the way at Michigan, it will be free, plus you'll still have similar options afterwards as you would if you get the MS from Stanford.