Blakemore Freeman Fellowship

hobakie

• 8 months later...

This thread isn't dated for 2019/2020 but since it only has 2 comments could we make this the thread for 2019/2020?

I'll be sending in my application soon. Who else is applying this year? ?

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 3:41 AM, Mateng said:

This thread isn't dated for 2019/2020 but since it only has 2 comments could we make this the thread for 2019/2020?

I'll be sending in my application soon. Who else is applying this year? ?

Pretty late but I also applied. I applied for the Japanese funding to go to Yokohama. 

Is this your first time applying?

I've applied to study abroad programs before but this is the first one that seemed to prefer applicants with more experience in the language, country, academics etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 7:09 AM, Mateng said:

Is this your first time applying?

I've applied to study abroad programs before but this is the first one that seemed to prefer applicants with more experience in the language, country, academics etc

This is my first time applying for Blakemore. It does seem to want people who have are fairly dedicated to the language and will use it somehow in their future. The profile of past recipients is pretty intimidating. Getting into the language school its self is pretty intimidating...

What language are you applying for? 

Late but I applied for Chinese! Does anyone know why finding information about this fellowship seems so difficult? It seems very competitive but I couldn't really find any sample essays, blogs of people who've done it, advice/tips, etc. Other language study scholarships I've applied for in the past, I've always been able to find information but there is barely anything there with this one ?

But this is also my first time applying and seeing that I've only been out of school less than a year, I don't know how much of a chance I have haha

On 2/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, kenton said:

This is my first time applying for Blakemore. It does seem to want people who have are fairly dedicated to the language and will use it somehow in their future. The profile of past recipients is pretty intimidating. Getting into the language school its self is pretty intimidating...

What language are you applying for? 

I'm applying for Korean. And yeah, not only are the past recipients intimidating but there's so few of them ? 

@hkhk same! I couldn't find information anywhere at all.  

I looked at the confirmation email, and this Friday they meet to review applications so by the end of next week we hear about first round results...... ?

One of my classmates got an email yesterday saying he got an interview. I haven't received anything so i'm a bit worried but for now I guess no news is good news since I haven't gotten a rejection yet.

21 hours ago, Mateng said:

One of my classmates got an email yesterday saying he got an interview. I haven't received anything so i'm a bit worried but for now I guess no news is good news since I haven't gotten a rejection yet.

Yeah I also haven't received any email. But I vaguely remember the email saying if you don't hear back by a certain time, you probably didn't get it ? but oh well, there's always another year to apply after I get some more experience first!

Edit: Alright just reread the email and it is different by language. The finalist selection committee for Chinese doesn't meet until March so the wait continues for me ?

Edited by hkhk

4 hours ago, hkhk said:

Yeah I also haven't received any email. But I vaguely remember the email saying if you don't hear back by a certain time, you probably didn't get it ? but oh well, there's always another year to apply after I get some more experience first!

Edit: Alright just reread the email and it is different by language. The finalist selection committee for Chinese doesn't meet until March so the wait continues for me ?

Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this thread is active anymore, but putting on here that I had an interview for the Chinese fellowship on Monday and was notified on Tuesday that I was being offered the fellowship. For any future applicants who are searching the web for info and can't find anything, contact me on here and I would be happy to answer any questions about the application process and whatever comes next!

Edited by hkhk

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, indigo.lam said:

Hi there, I'm applying for the Chinese Fellowship this year. Would you mind share some of your experience with the application process and tips on writing the essay? Thank you in advance for any guidance!!

Hello! I was a Japanese Fellowship finalist. Not sure if I can be of help, but feel free to message me!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cotko said:

I'm applying for Chinese (ICLP-Taiwan)!

Do you think it would be worth it to create a slack chat for any other applicants that might see this?

Nice! I'd be down for a group chat, but probably wouldn't want to get Slack just for one thing. I'm open to other options though.