St. John's University Clinical Psychology Program?

psychlady

Hi all! I've been accepted to the clinical psychology PhD program at St. John's University and was wondering if any of you here have any insight about the program. I feel like I didn't get enough information during my interview day so any input would be super helpful -- especially interested in feedback from current students in the program, others who have applied, or those who know someone in the department. Thanks! 

12 hours ago, psychlady said:

Hi all! I've been accepted to the clinical psychology PhD program at St. John's University and was wondering if any of you here have any insight about the program. I feel like I didn't get enough information during my interview day so any input would be super helpful -- especially interested in feedback from current students in the program, others who have applied, or those who know someone in the department. Thanks! 

hey there, I graduated from there in 2014 with my masters in experimental psychology. I would say that the program really is what you make of it. The professors there are really great (some better than others, of course). The one thing that I think turned me from applying there for my PhD (I currently just accepted a PhD offer at USF) is that the research is really non existent, unless you're extremely motivated. Also funding is quite limited, I think when I was there - it was only 2 years of guaranteed funding. I do remember the cohorts being really close and they seemed to like one another. I took a behavioral therapy PhD course my last year of my masters and it was one of my favorite classes. The stats courses are great but you are only required to get a C to pass in the PhD level so that kind of tells you their commitment to research.

Hope this is helpful! 

4 hours ago, nycgrad14 said:

hey there, I graduated from there in 2014 with my masters in experimental psychology. I would say that the program really is what you make of it. The professors there are really great (some better than others, of course). The one thing that I think turned me from applying there for my PhD (I currently just accepted a PhD offer at USF) is that the research is really non existent, unless you're extremely motivated. Also funding is quite limited, I think when I was there - it was only 2 years of guaranteed funding. I do remember the cohorts being really close and they seemed to like one another. I took a behavioral therapy PhD course my last year of my masters and it was one of my favorite classes. The stats courses are great but you are only required to get a C to pass in the PhD level so that kind of tells you their commitment to research.

Hope this is helpful! 

Thank you @nycgrad14. The research component is really my biggest concern -- the work that my PI is doing is basically my dream research (and was the best research-fit of all schools I interviews at), however it seems that the program itself really stresses clinical training > research, which I feel like is reflected by the 90% licensure rate. I'm very nervous about attending this program, which is not ranked as high as other programs I was interested in, seems to emphasize clinical training over research, and lacks any formal training in teaching, will possibly jeopardize my options of going into academia as a future career path... thoughts?

8 hours ago, psychlady said:

Thank you @nycgrad14. The research component is really my biggest concern -- the work that my PI is doing is basically my dream research (and was the best research-fit of all schools I interviews at), however it seems that the program itself really stresses clinical training > research, which I feel like is reflected by the 90% licensure rate. I'm very nervous about attending this program, which is not ranked as high as other programs I was interested in, seems to emphasize clinical training over research, and lacks any formal training in teaching, will possibly jeopardize my options of going into academia as a future career path... thoughts?

Can you PM me your person of interest?  Thank you. 

20 hours ago, psychlady said:

no problem!! Happy to help! I would definitely say you're right on the money with them emphasizing clinical over research. This happens with a lot of NYC graduate schools, which is why I am leaving. I am also wanting to make a career in Academia and there was little to noteaching availability unless I was going to Stony Brook at most of the city universities. Also they say that you are close to Manhattan, which technically you are, but a lot of placements are in clinics around queens. Again, majority of the cohort wont be working in the research hospitals or NYSPI. You totally can but you would have to really work for it. (also the commute will be over an hour one way). Definitely think about where you see yourself and what your goals are, and if this program is going to get you there. 

Now on the flip side, in each of my stats courses there was a GA who ran a lab or did an hour recap session with the class. They definitely weren't teaching a course, but they were helping us practice the concepts that we were going over with the professor. So if that is enough "teaching" experience for you, then that would work. Other than that, I didn't see any graduate students as Instructors of Record.

I interviewed there this year and got exactly the vibe that nycgrad14 described. Heavy clinical, research if you want to do it. Some of the current grad students seemed motivated to follow their own interests and work more independently, while one was using their professors’ data/interests as the basis of their MA thesis. Some of the other applicants had no pubs or posters. The lower ranking probably reflects the low number of publications turned out but I’ve heard it’s a solid program. Finally, one student said they were accepted a few days before April 15th so if you haven’t heard back yet, don’t lose hope! 

8 hours ago, Psych_out said:

I interviewed there this year and got exactly the vibe that nycgrad14 described. Heavy clinical, research if you want to do it. Some of the current grad students seemed motivated to follow their own interests and work more independently, while one was using their professors’ data/interests as the basis of their MA thesis. Some of the other applicants had no pubs or posters. The lower ranking probably reflects the low number of publications turned out but I’ve heard it’s a solid program. Finally, one student said they were accepted a few days before April 15th so if you haven’t heard back yet, don’t lose hope! 

Have you heard yet? 

My friend interviewed there and did not get a great vibe for the research of the program, so that is something to consider. Especially because they cannot guarantee that you will work with your POI (depends on numbers, if many people want the same person it might not work out). So, if you are super interested in research, would recommend going somewhere where you are guaranteed to do research with the POI. She asked if students go on to academia and the answer was largely a no. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the waitlist and I haven't heard back yet. I don't even know if I'm a high or middle alternate (I asked them, but no reply).

I like the program and I'm mostly worried about funding. From what I understand, some students have to pay tuition for the summer courses during the first two years. There will also be some tuition costs in the third and fourth years.

• 4 years later...