Masters Student Schedule?

psy405

Hi!

So, this will really depend on which University you attend and how they structure their program - it may be best to ask current students in the program about their schedule. In the Master's program that I attended, we had class four days a week for a maximum of one class (~2 hours) per day. The rest of the time was dedicated towards research or graduate assistantships. 

What schools are you considering?

I'm strongly considering NCCU, but I have not been able to get in touch with any current students in the program. I have posted a question on this site to NCCU students as well and hope for a reply soon. 

I think it of course depends on the nature of the masters program (1 year or 2) but when I completed my 1 year I had 2-3 classes max in a day and I actually usually had a class to attend every day of the week. I also had data collection/research so I was in the lab all day otherwise. It was well beyond a typical "9-5" but again this is specific to the program you choose and what you're hoping to accomplish!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, psy405 said:

No. No one has answered and I have to make my decision soon. Have you heard anything about the program?

Not much, I know a girl who is attending and her classes are in the evenings, normally 4-8pm and they were able to give her an assistantship. But unfortunately, I don't have a lot of details. Good luck with whatever school you choose! 

That depends on whether it is a self-scheduled or cohort model. A lot of the more organized/esteemed programs will have a cohort model of required classes planned out for you. When I was planning to go to a Master's in Counseling at a large school, we had classes during the day from about 9-3. My current program is a combination of day and evening, but some people are able to take evening only and work full time.