Do I need to TA in Masters to get into PhD programs?

Hey! So the one solid acceptance with funding I got doesn't do TAships for Masters students. Instead the funding is a Graduate Assistantship with the Writing Center. I love WC work and feel good about this, but I was wondering if it's gonna hurt my PhD applications to not have teaching experience. Side note, this would mean that I have 4.5/5 years of Writing Center experience by the time I'm applying to PhDs, if that helps. Advice from the more experienced? Do I NEED that TAship? Thanks!

Edited by ClassyBrat420
clarify

HI! I have a two year MA from the institution where I did my BA. We didn't get writing center or teaching experience. It was entirely about coursework and research. I also wasn't funded-- it was comparatively inexpensive, but I did pay for the degree. I had a great application season this time around. Last year I only applied to four schools, so I was (understandably) shut out. Someone else may have a different perspective, but I'm grateful for two years of research. I did just fine without the teaching component. I'm 3a/3w/5r this season. Best of luck to you! 

You don't even need a M.A. to get into a PhD program so I can't see an M.A. that lacked any given component going so far as hurting you in that way.

So, NEED? No. I've seen some schools go so far as to say that they don't even deliberately rank one candidate over another based on M.A. or lack of an M.A. 

When I spoke to University of Kansas, the professors I was on the phone was pleased to hear I had taught in my M.A. But I also understood it wasn't that cut and dry. 

Honestly, this round of applying to PhD programs taught me that there are so many variables that there's no point sweating any particular one. 

The advice given to me essentially emphasizes scholarship and research experience over teaching experience.  Writing Center work is a great bonus.  I do not think that lacking a TA will harm you-- a PhD program is going to make you teach no matter what, so they likely won't emphasize that experience.  That is all unless you feel like you want that experience before going into a PhD program.  I feel comfortable without it. 

I think that the most benefit you get from teaching during an MA is the sort of first-year funding you may be eligible for in a PhD program. For instance, several of my acceptances came with a TAship in my first year specifically because of my previous teaching experience. Those who didn't have previous teaching experience either received different forms of funding for the first year--or, at worst, no funding until the second year. So, no, I don't think a lack of TA experience will prevent you from getting into a great PhD program, but it may limit your funding possibilities for the first year or more. 

That said, while I'm grateful to have received first-year TAships for the PhD programs that accepted me, teaching during my master's program was brutal. I'm glad for what it added to my CV, but working at a writing center will probably allow you more time and energy to focus on your scholarship and building relationships with your advisors--things that will pay off immensely when you apply to PhD programs. 

Some programs also want to mold you as TA's and would rather you have no experience than methods they don't like--that's my case anyway. Also, I corroborate with the WC allowing you to be more focused on your own stuff. I don't work at the WC, but from what I see for all of my friends in the program who are, they can spend an entire day reading during periods of slow activity at the WC. TA's, on the other hand, are running around all the time no matter what, so... And I think a grad. research assistantship will be well regarded as well.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:08 AM, LexHex said:

You don't even need a M.A. to get into a PhD program so I can't see an M.A. that lacked any given component going so far as hurting you in that way.

I don't know if this is true re: needing an MA -- my school had someone apply to the PhD without an MA and they bumped the person down to the MA pool, because the PhD program does require an MA. And I feel like a lot of comp/rhet PhDs are like this, though of course some allow you to get the MA along the way (I'm thinking of Penn State and Ohio State here). 

But I think earning an MA first is the norm/usually required at least for comp/rhet. 

Also, yes, I think WC work can be great preparation for teaching (it helped me basically learn how to teach, I'd say) and you can definitely market this on PhD apps. A lot of times, programs look for teaching potential, which could also be proven by extensive WC work. 

Edited by klader

3 hours ago, LexHex said:

@klader That must be more common with Comp/Rhet? Many lit programs seem to award you an M.A. as you're in the program.

I think it might be a disciplinary difference, for sure! 

I think not needing an MA before getting into a PHD is the official rule—and then there’s the unspoken rules and preferences where an MA is very helpful to get into *a lot of* programs...

44 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

I think not needing an MA before getting into a PHD is the official rule—and then there’s the unspoken rules and preferences where an MA is very helpful to get into *a lot of* programs...

I don't think there is an official rule. There are some programs in English and Rhet/Comp which require an MA to be considered for admission into a PHD program.

35 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I don't think there is an official rule. There are some programs in English and Rhet/Comp which require an MA to be considered for admission into a PHD program.

Oh, yeah. But you know what I mean

My best friend is worried about this very question, since he did a one-year MA and didn't have an assistantship, so he's taking a couple gap years to actually teach. I had a TA while I was a Master's student, but the advice I was given was to use my gap year to get instructor-of-record teaching experience, so I've been adjuncting.

The weird thing for me, though, is that while I had some experience as a TA and now as instructor, I've never had a pedagogy course or any formal educational guidance, so even with my on-paper experience, I still felt it important to look at schools that offered serious instruction on..well, instruction.

I guess my advice to any future reader of this thread is this: If you feel that not TA-ing (or not enough TA-ing) in Masters could hurt you, and you can afford the gap year(s), then try to get some teaching experience under your belt. It certainly won't hurt!