Non-stats math pre-req?

I'm wait-listed there, but I thought that was strange too! Every other school I applied to only have one math requirement, which is (obviously) the stats course. I have several other math courses, but I'd assume a college algebra should suffice. At least at my university that wasn't a remedial class.

Hi Peachyspeachy,

You could perhaps look into taking the College Algebra CLEP? That would probably be the most inexpensive and quickest way to get the Math course done. My Undergrad required me to do a Math course as a prereq for my Stats class and I took the CLEP to test out of the Math so that I could go straight into the Stats course. I emailed Dr. Melnick about that yesterday, since my acceptance letter also said I needed to send them a transcript of a completed math course, and he said to just send my CLEP results to the department as that will be sufficient enough to fulfill the Math requirement.

Hope that helps!  

Edited by MegSLP

2 hours ago, MegSLP said:

Hi Peachyspeachy,

You could perhaps look into taking the College Algebra CLEP? That would probably be the most inexpensive and quickest way to get the Math course done. My Undergrad required me to do a Math course as a prereq for my Stats class and I took the CLEP to test out of the Math so that I could go straight into the Stats course. I emailed Dr. Melnick about that yesterday, since my acceptance letter also said I needed to send them a transcript of a completed math course, and he said to just send my CLEP results to the department as that will be sufficient enough to fulfill the Math requirement.

Hope that helps!  

I emailed Dr. Melnick a few times asking questions about their program's requirement, and he never bothered to reply. So I decided not to apply to Worcester.

@Peachyspeachy No problem! Here's the link if you would like to look more into it (https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics/college-algebra). If you look through that link you'll see the breakdown of what's in the test, how to prepare, etc. Like the GRE, It is a standardized test so you may have to study for it. I don't know what your math background is like, but, I had to spend a little bit of time refreshing my brain on most of the concepts since I hadn't taken a math course in a very long time - although it's definitely doable! - and totally worth it at only $85 and less time compared to taking a course for a full semester and spending more $$ on the course. There are also plenty of study materials/practice tests out there that you could look through to help you out - making preparing for it pretty easy.   

Edited by MegSLP