Heinz or Harris

Hey guys, I am deciding between Heinz and Harris (both regular track). I have social science background with some quantitative experience, and I am really looking forward to learn more analytical skills that are applicable in both public and private sectors.

I've learned that Harris and Heinz are the most quantitative programs, but looking at the courses and curriculum, I can't really tell which one is more quant. Any advice? Thanks!

Here are some useful links:

Harris courses: https://harris.uchicago.edu/academics/programs-degrees/courses (require taking at least 12 courses from this pool)

Heinz student handbook:  https://www.heinz.cmu.edu/heinz-shared/_files/img/student-handbooks/msppm-2-year-track-heinz-college-student-policy-manual-17-18.pdf (curriculum in part 3)

I always thought Harris was the most quant, but I never researched Heinz's program as much. Harris does seem VERY supportive of people who lack a firm quant background but are down to dig in and gain the skills. It seems like a tough but very supportive environment. To me, that's the best combo. 

Heinz and Harris were my top choice programs while applying, and I can see why you're struggling--they're very similar quantitatively. That's what I was looking for in a program, too. Both have plenty of quantitative courses and embrace students who don't have extensive backgrounds in math. A few distinctions: Heinz is top-rated for analytics education, incorporates management into their curriculum (for better or worse), and a 10 week summer internship is included in the program. Harris has experiential opportunities (but no requirement), and University of Chicago is famous for driving mainstream economic thought during the 20th century. If you're into neoclassical economics or are all about prestige, this could be a great thing. 

My two cents: it really depends on what you're into, and then you can figure out who does it better. Is there a policy area or concentration you're looking for? Or are you just trying to do as much quant work as possible? Does location make a difference? 

Not the original poster, but this is now my problem, too. I was accepted off the waitlist into Harris MPP last night (I applied for MS-CAPP), but no funding info yet. My top choice has been Heinz's Data Analytics track with 80% of tuition covered, so Harris is making me question things a little. For someone with analyst ambitions, can Harris's MPP possibly compare with Heinz's MSPPM-DA? 

On 2018/4/3 at 3:44 AM, juanlisa said:

Heinz and Harris were my top choice programs while applying, and I can see why you're struggling--they're very similar quantitatively. That's what I was looking for in a program, too. Both have plenty of quantitative courses and embrace students who don't have extensive backgrounds in math. A few distinctions: Heinz is top-rated for analytics education, incorporates management into their curriculum (for better or worse), and a 10 week summer internship is included in the program. Harris has experiential opportunities (but no requirement), and University of Chicago is famous for driving mainstream economic thought during the 20th century. If you're into neoclassical economics or are all about prestige, this could be a great thing. 

My two cents: it really depends on what you're into, and then you can figure out who does it better. Is there a policy area or concentration you're looking for? Or are you just trying to do as much quant work as possible? Does location make a difference? 

I really want to do as much quant work as possible in positions like Analyst or Consultant. I'm an international student who hope to work in the U.S. for 1-3 years after graduation, if possible, I guess location is kind of important when it comes to internship and job opportunities.

I feel courses at Heinz are really practical, which can be desirable in the eye of the employers. However, the prestige U of C may has potential benefit for finding a job internationally. 

The Chicago MPP has access to some pretty quanty courses (with priority enrollment for PhD and MACRM students, though) but in itself it's as quanty as any other MPP - so, not that much. That will make a difference for employers. I don't know if the Heinz program is STEM-designated, but if it is and you want to stay in the US, 3 years OPT is the #1 consideration.

I know that Heinz's MSPPM-Data Analytics program is STEM-designated; I'm pretty sure the regular MSPPM track is not. I honestly don't know about Harris.

@byc123456 are you looking for a more quant-heavy degree like the Heinz Data Analytics track and Harris's MS-CAPP? Maybe figure out if transferring into a more quant-heavy program within the school is an option. I heard from a current Heinz Data Analytics student that a few members of the DA cohort did that. Also, it sounds like asking both schools about the international job prospects could be really important for you. Heinz has an internship requirement, but maybe ask Harris how many students actually do an internship between first and second year?

On 4/6/2018 at 2:07 AM, juanlisa said:

Maybe figure out if transferring into a more quant-heavy program within the school is an option. I heard from a current Heinz Data Analytics student that a few members of the DA cohort did that.

@juanlisa Are you saying people from other tracks (say the traditional Pittsburgh track) can shift  to DA track after they have joined the program? Is it possible to change tracks?

@Adhi a current student told me 2 or 3 people transferred in. It came up at admitted students weekend, though, that some tracks are pretty tough to change once the program starts because the first semester course requirements are too different. If being able to shift tracks would change your decision, I'd recommend reaching out directly to Heinz to see if it's likely/feasible. 

@juanlisa Hi, my situation is similar to yours, I was waitlisted by the MSCAPP program, but I received the offer of MS- Data Science for Public Policy form McCourt. Still, I truly wish to have the chance to study at Harris, even though it will be the MPP program. Thus, I have been keeping update my materials. Can you share some information about how you get off the waitlist? If so, this will be very helpful to me. You know for most Chinese students, they won't make their decisions until the last date, so I guess I still have one week to fight for a place at Harris. Thanks a lot!

@Airninja I submitted an additional essay using the Waitlist Form about three weeks before I heard anything. I got an email last week that my application status had changed, and two days after that my financial aid letter was posted. 

@juanlisa Cool, thanks a lot for the reply! if possible, could I add you and ask you about what aspects you emphasis in this additional essay? I have updated materials including one Quantitative Resume, one recent project, and a 38-page paper written by my mentor and me, and today I plan to submit one additional essay. After learning your experience, which is very helpful, now I am very cautious about my essay. Again, thank you! Your information is very helpful!

@Airninja I understand your anxiety to get final decisions, but I don't really have any great insight. When I submitted my Harris application I knew it had shortcomings, and when I was waitlisted I wrote a motivational statement to fill in the gaps. Every application is different, and for me it was that I didn't explain my career change enough; most applicants don't have that problem. I would caution against adding even more materials now because it may take some time for them to be processed, especially since it seems you've made a lot of updates already. Unfortunately, my best advice at this point is to wait, and figure out what you'll do about McCourt's offer if you still haven't heard back from Harris. 

@juanlisa Thanks a lot for the advice! I totally agree with you that everyone has its own situation to clarify, and the essay I want to update today is right this kind of essay. By the way, basically, I applied for the same programs like you, but I guess I am just not competitive enough to get the admission to Heinz's DA Track, which is my dream program. Still, I want to enhance my computational skills, so I choose the DSPP program over the SAIS at JHU. I must send my big congratulation to you!!! I believe you can achieve anything you want through the study at Heinz and wish you all the best! Again, your information really helped, thank you.

24 minutes ago, MPA/MPP Applicant said:

I just received clarification from GWU Trachtenberg about their deferral process. Apparently theirs is non-binding with no deposit fee. I also do not have to pay an additional application fee next year. (I only have to re-submit my recs.) Which is great as it is less work for me!
I believe I will have to reapply for the other schools though.

Just posted this in another thread, but I am wondering if anyone knows whether Heinz or Harris's deferrals are binding or not. I will likely re-apply next year to both, but if they are non-binding deferrals (like GWU Trachtenberg) then it may be less work for me to defer than re-apply.