OutdoorsEd

Hi Grad Cafe, 

I've been selected as a top 3 candidate for full time position in an English department at a community college. I have a final interview with the college president and the dean in a few weeks. Any tips on how to prepare for this? They didn't provide any extra info. I did a teaching demonstration and 60 minutes worth of question and answers in the initial interview. 

Like many people in the field, I'm feeling a bit desperate for this. It's my only successful application, and I'm terrified of my future if I don't get the job. 

Thanks for any help!

It's pretty typical. Prepare some open ended questions about the direction of the institution, resources, etc. and be prepared to talk about your work and teaching at a non-disciplinary level. 

Also, is it individual meetings with each, or one with both? I had one that was a panel of senior administrators that was interesting. 

It's individual meetings with each. Two separate interviews in the same day. 

What are they looking for if it's just generic questions? Is it really possible to sell myself here, or do they have a particular candidate in mind prior to the interview? 

Not sure what you're asking? It's not any different than any of the other interviews. They've seen the packets of all of the finalists, they'll have the same types of questions SC members or other faculty would. 

But usually they're at a more general level. Other faculty in the department are looking for what you will bring to the department, the Dean and President are looking more broadly at what you'll bring to the school. 

In some of my interviews like this I was asked about how I saw myself collaborating with faculty from other areas, what type of institutional service I saw myself doing, and to talk about my teaching (and research) at a less specific level. 

Every institution is different, but these are usually the people who have the final say in hiring. So yes, you absolutely need to sell yourself to them. 

You definitely want to sell yourself because, as @Eigen said, the dean often has the final say. Depending on the state, you may want to ask about overall institutional funding, institutional priorities for the next 3-5 years, changes they're seeing in their student body, their response to the shifting higher ed landscape, etc. You might also want to ask about the institutional support for new faculty (that is, beyond any new hire orientation). For example, is there support for pedagogical training and/or innovation? Do they encourage the development of new courses and, if so, what that process entails? Oh, and I would ask where they see your department and institution in 5-10 years.