Johns Hopkins SAIS vs UCSD GPS vs Munk School of Global Affairs

Fabri89

Hi guys,

I have been accepted to the MA program at Johns Hopkins SAIS, the MIA program at UCSD School of Global Policy and Strategy and the MGA program at Munk School of Global Affairs. I have read tons of info about these programs and I have attended the Open House events at SAIS and UCSD. However, I am still undecided. What do you think is the best program in terms of employability and education considering that I am an international student who wants to find a job in North America? My area of specialization is international economics and I would like to work in consulting/think-tanks/business/banks.

Thanks!!

6 hours ago, ExponentialDecay said:

If you're okay with Canada, it's easier to get a work visa there (although I can't vouch for doing so in public policy - many of those jobs are frequently reserved for citizens). Then, unless you're made of money, I'd go with the cheapest option.

Thanks! So do you think Munk School will give me more job opportunities that Johns Hopkins SAIS? I know that it's very difficult to get an H1B Visa, but I thought SAIS places well students in think-tanks (Brookings, Peterson Institute, etc.) and international organizations.

11 minutes ago, Fabri89 said:

Thanks! So do you think Munk School will give me more job opportunities that Johns Hopkins SAIS? I know that it's very difficult to get an H1B Visa, but I thought SAIS places well students in think-tanks (Brookings, Peterson Institute, etc.) and international organizations.

I just said that work immigration is much easier in Canada than in the US. What will give you more job opportunities depends so heavily on your personal circumstances and abilities that I cannot begin to answer such a question. Unless your think tank is classed as an academic institute it's not going to do anything for your visa eligibility, and whilst SAIS places well at IOs, they're all going through budget cuts right now, hiring is extremely constrained, and I don't know where things will stand in 2 years.