Put off Applications until Completion of Master's?

Le Chat

Looking for some insight or experience from those that are in Psychology Master's programs and planning to apply for Clinical Psychology Ph.D's. I am a non-psychology undergrad, and in a Clinical Psychology M.S. program with undergraduate pre-requisites. My application cycle consideration would be Fall 2019, but I wouldn't finish my Master's program until December 2019. I also came into the program with zero research experience, by the time of applications I would have 4 semester's worth. 

My concerns are #1-Whether it is worth the money and time if I might just be rejected, and #2 whether I should consider finishing the program for a more solid backup plan (I have recurrent chronic illness related health issues). If I graduate in December I would work in Research from January-August (assuming acceptance into a Ph.D program.)

Thoughts?

There is really no right answer for this one. I took time off between my MA and applying to doctoral programs. That gave me time to publish my MA thesis and to work with my intended population, gaining valuable experience and also saving some money. I ended up taking 3 years off total and will start a program this fall. For me, it really helped solidify what exactly I wanted and gave me valuable research ideas (I work in the field of IPV, so I got to see first hand where more research is needed). Plus, I knew that after 3 years, that this was still what I wanted to do. The only thing I would do differently would be to continue actively doing research in that time. 

Plus, having a healthy savings account from a full time job is definitely a plus to supplement your stipend/invest and watch grow. 

I agree that there is no right answer.  Your first priority should be your health regardless of what you decide.  Depending on how many programs you plan to apply to (12-15 is common because its competitive) and where they are located (geographically open is strongly recommended) keep in mind that interviews can be anywhere from late November to mid February, which would overlap the last semester of your MS.  Finishing your program, going on interviews, and whatever other responsibilities you have is a lot to manage on top of a chronic illness.  I also would tell anyone applying to Clinical Psych PhD's to have a backup plan regardless of what their application looks like because there's just no way to predict how the application cycle will go.  I'm sure you've seen the threads on here about people applying multiple times despite having publications, years of research experience, and great LORs.  

If you can afford the application fees and the work load of submitting applications along with the requirements of finishing up a Master's program (thesis, comprehensive exams, etc.), then I would say there's no harm in going ahead and applying this year.  Each cycle is it's own beast and there's no telling how competitive you might be one cycle to the next.  Even if you get rejected the first time, your current plan becomes your plan B and you apply again next year, and this first cycle gives you information regarding where you need to improve your application for the next cycle. 

Two of the schools I applied to this cycle stated that this cycle was exceptionally competitive and that if I had applied last cycle (in the middle of my 1st year of my Master's program) I would have at least been interviewed and very possibly would have been extended an offer just because the previous cycle was less competitive.  So you never know how each cycle is going to shake out and perhaps you'll get several good offers this cycle, which cuts your wait time to where you ultimately want to be.

I have taken that year to apply for my PhD, although in social psych. I wouldn't have done it otherwise, I needed 'the break' and there is no way I could have taken care of all this moving abroad stuff, doing my thesis at the same time. Nor would I have been able to really put a lot of effort in my applications at the time due to other requirements. As said - always have a plan B. I nearly did not make it in this cycle so definitely always have a plan B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! My health insurance coverage ends in a year and a half so that has been a big motivating factor (that and income, plus PhD program scheduling.) I'm still debating the decision but seriously considering the delay.