vsgajd

Question

Hi all, 

I still have not heard about funding yet. My PI told me that it would take about 2 weeks for her to finalize on the funding after discussing with my co-supervisors.  I emailed her after 2 weeks asking for an update only to get a reply saying she will be out of office till end of the month. I am considering emailing the co-supervisors ( but I am worried it might look like I am overstepping ) and calling the admission office. I am an international student and I am worried that I may not make it on time since I have to apply for the visa as well and they still do not give me a decision. How do I proceed ? 

2 answers to this question

First off, you're still perfectly fine in terms of visa timeline. Second, you haven't said how long it's been since your last email. If it's been less than a week, give it that long, then email again (reply to the original email, say you're following up since you haven't heard from her, to make sure she's received the email). Mention that you might reach out to your co-supervisors if you don't hear back soon, because you are anxious to get the visa process started. Hopefully that should take care of any going-over-someone's-head problem, but you may still find that your co-supervisors can't make a decision on their own without your PI. You may have to wait until she's back -- but even though it may be a difficult wait, you should still have plenty of time to get your visa. Good luck! 

@fuzzylogician : I emailed her after a week, no reply. I emailed after she came back ( which was yesterday), No reply yet. I contacted the co-supervisor and he said I have to wait for her to get back and that he is not in a position to answer. What do I do ? Is it okay to call if she does not reply ? The silence is freaking me out. I am thinking they pulled my offer.