Advice for University of Pittsburgh Master's program

Hi everyone. It is my dream to go to Pitt for grad school. I was wondering, if you applied to Pitt or went to Pitt for SLP, what was your experience with the application process? Do you have any specific advice for someone applying there?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

I forgot I made this post earlier lol. I am doing a post-bacc year at Pitt currently so I have been able to meet the faculty and get an idea of what the master's program is like. So far, most of the faculty have been great, especially Dr. Shaiman, who is the most excellent teacher. A couple of the faculty members are just "meh" but for the most part they are dedicated, helpful, and experts in their area of study. The one thing that really seems to standout with the master's program is that the clinic opportunities are limitless. They have multiple connections to any setting you can think of. I am particularly interested in working at the VA and the program is closely tied to it (and practically on campus). Plus, one of the best hospitals in the country is across the street from the academic building and I'm certain at least some students get clinical experience there. The master's students seem close with one another and very nice.  Personally, I'm interested in medical SLP and doing research so Pitt seems like the perfect place for that, however, the curriculum doesn't really "wow" me. You know? Again, I'm just a post-bacc.

4 hours ago, BioCook said:

Bringing this thread back to life - it looks like Pitt has released decisions around this time. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the program!

Do you know when they released their decisions in years past/ when we might hear this year?

2 hours ago, cakcak said:

I forgot I made this post earlier lol. I am doing a post-bacc year at Pitt currently so I have been able to meet the faculty and get an idea of what the master's program is like. So far, most of the faculty have been great, especially Dr. Shaiman, who is the most excellent teacher. A couple of the faculty members are just "meh" but for the most part they are dedicated, helpful, and experts in their area of study. The one thing that really seems to standout with the master's program is that the clinic opportunities are limitless. They have multiple connections to any setting you can think of. I am particularly interested in working at the VA and the program is closely tied to it (and practically on campus). Plus, one of the best hospitals in the country is across the street from the academic building and I'm certain at least some students get clinical experience there. The master's students seem close with one another and very nice.  Personally, I'm interested in medical SLP and doing research so Pitt seems like the perfect place for that, however, the curriculum doesn't really "wow" me. You know? Again, I'm just a post-bacc.

Undergrad at Pitt and totally agree! I love that there's no in house clinic so you immediately get external placements (therefore, you get more varied clinic experiences than at other schools), but the curriculum doesn't allow much flexibility, and there are essentially no electives. To me, it is important to take specific courses I'm interested in, like pediatric dysphagia, so I likely will not be continuing my graduate education at Pitt. This is definitely not make or break though, it just depends on how customizable you want your curriculum to be! 

Someone posted an acceptance a few mins ago - wondering if we'll be hearing back throughout the day!

Edit: heh waitlisted but not bummed!

Edited by BioCook
Add info

I just got an email saying I’m waitlisted so check your email + spam folder!! :) Accepted into my first choice so I’m not that upset, getting waitlisted instead of rejected was surprising for me, good luck!!