Should I do it?

Adelaide9216

Hello, so I currently live two hours away (by train, bus or car) from the university I am applying to for Ph.D programs. I was told today by a current student that the two seminars offered each semester at the doctoral level are on the same day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). Do you think I should move to that city or remain where I live now & travel every week to attend that 1 day of seminars?

Is it something that you have done yourselves?

I would move. A PhD isn't just about the seminars. It's also about the networking, being able to attend events on campus, gaining teaching and research experience, having access to the reference librarians and the stacks, etc. I think it's fine to live at a distance later in the PhD but early on, being close to your colleagues, advisors, and campus resources is often crucial. That said, you're putting the cart before the horse if you haven't even applied yet...

I would move. There's a lot more to a PhD than class. You need to meet your supervisor, if you're TA-ing you have office hours, you'd need to attend (lab) meetings, and so on. Plus you'd be more close to your cohort and potentially social support system network.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:19 AM, rising_star said:

I would move. A PhD isn't just about the seminars. It's also about the networking, being able to attend events on campus, gaining teaching and research experience, having access to the reference librarians and the stacks, etc. I think it's fine to live at a distance later in the PhD but early on, being close to your colleagues, advisors, and campus resources is often crucial. That said, you're putting the cart before the horse if you haven't even applied yet...

Agree. I was faced with this exact question a few years back (Boston v. Providence) and moved. I don't regret it. Neither does my wife, and she's the one stuck with the 3 hours of commuting each day.