Art History & History

blanchard2

Hello,

I have been accepted for one of the top graduate schools in Art History for the Fall 2018 (of the so-called 'Big Three). However, I am currently having a lot of doubts regarding my field. Having taken a couple of history seminars, I am more and more certain that a program in history would suit me better. While I do understand that one can do very 'historical' work as an art historian, I think that I would rather be trained as a historian in a history department. 

I have already accepted the offer. My question is: how easy would it be for me to change to a different program having already started a PhD in another field? Is it something of bad taste to come to a program and receive their funding without being sure that you want to do it? I am having many doubts about this, practical as well as moral. Should I just quit now and re-apply next year for other programs? Or should I just start grad school in Art History and sense the waters, as one would say? I am afraid that changing after one semester might not be very advisable or that other grad schools could see this as a personal problem of commitment. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

16 hours ago, psstein said:

I would suggest discussing this with your advisor. S/he'll likely be far better equipped to answer about art history than most of us.

Hey!

That is great advice and I hope to discuss that with him in the future! However, I am about to start graduate school so I don't really know him very well yet and it just feels like a weird thing to discuss over email... 

People do change PhD programs, and I don't think your ability to get into a history program would be hampered by the fact that you'd previously started an art history PhD--it would just require explanation (e.g. once I started coursework I realised that to do the work I want to do I need history training [if anything that's flattering to an admissions committee]) BUT also, for now, I would see how you find the art history program that you've already accepted. Pre-grad school June/July regrets and what-ifs are really, really normal and I personally don't think there's much harm in just starting your program and feeling it out--it might be that you're actually allowed to work in a really interdisciplinary way and that you and some other cohort members become a group who are more history/art history than just "art history", if that makes sense. Then once you're in and you've settled, if you're still wondering about changing then it's time to talk to your advisor seriously about whether it's the right program. 

1 hour ago, OHSP said:

People do change PhD programs, and I don't think your ability to get into a history program would be hampered by the fact that you'd previously started an art history PhD--it would just require explanation (e.g. once I started coursework I realised that to do the work I want to do I need history training [if anything that's flattering to an admissions committee]) BUT also, for now, I would see how you find the art history program that you've already accepted. Pre-grad school June/July regrets and what-ifs are really, really normal and I personally don't think there's much harm in just starting your program and feeling it out--it might be that you're actually allowed to work in a really interdisciplinary way and that you and some other cohort members become a group who are more history/art history than just "art history", if that makes sense. Then once you're in and you've settled, if you're still wondering about changing then it's time to talk to your advisor seriously about whether it's the right program. 

This was actually great and extremely helpful. Thank you very much! 

Agreed with @OHSP. I would also check the program requirements to see what possibilities there are for you to take courses in another department. It could be that you need to or are able to, which would give you an opportunity to take courses in the history department at the university you'll be starting at to get a feel for whether history is really the field you need to be in to pursue your interests.

Depending on your school, you may be able to do an 'internal' transfer quite easily -- at least one person in my French PhD program did that (moved from art history to French literature). 

• 4 weeks later...

My advice:

Go ahead and start the program. See how many slots you have for non-required courses, and try to take some of the basic courses in research and historiography that history grad students take. Build relationships with the history professors, and show up to their department's public talks/events.

By spring semester, you'll have three options:

(1) Stay in the art history department. You're able to get the training you need from History. You now know the history professors and can probably do a history-focused field or ask one or two of them to serve on your committee (depending on how the rules work where you are).

(2) Internal transfer. As you now have good relationships with the history professors, meet with them and their DGS in the spring semester and express your interest in moving to their department.  Figure out how the procedures would work, and once you get the go-ahead, tell your advisor and formally switch over.

(3) Apply to range of history programs in the fall.  Not sure how the timing works at your university, but this should give you a chance receive an art history MA before leaving, which would be the most graceful time to stop. History professors from your university could write you letters of rec.  You could also look into going on leave for the 2019-2020 academic year -- keeping your place in the Art History department but doing something else while you await the results of your applications.  (I knew someone who did something like this -- he framed it as just needing to take more time to figure out what he wanted to do.)

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

May I ask how you know you are accepted into one of the top three programs? Is there a ranking for art history phd? Are you interested in academia or museum work?